Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #1

Hitch help needed - Reese Revolution with Sidewinder

I'm purchasing a new Jayco Eagle and was going to install a standard 4 way pivoting fiver hitch in my 2009 Silverado Duramax / Allison. The dealer is trying to sell me the add on Reese Revolution pin box from the factory and pair it with a Sidewinder hitch. It this overkill for my needs?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #2

I need to clarify. The dealer is suggesting the Reese Revolution pin box which I'm told is the same as the Sidewinder. This would be coupled to a Reese Pro 15K hitch.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdordahl View Post
I need to clarify. The dealer is suggesting the Reese Revolution pin box which I'm told is the same as the Sidewinder. This would be coupled to a Reese Pro 15K hitch.
See my response to your question in the 5th wheel section, for a pinbox.

This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

I believe the dealer is trying to maximize his profit on you. The Reese Pro 15K, hitch is not a slider hitch. They also make it in a slider verision but it is called; 15K Pro Series Fifth Wheel Hitch with Square Tube Slider. So he is adding a different style pin box such as the Sidewinder/Reese Revolution pin box as extra cost to you. You can do the same thing with the standard pinbox and a slider hitch and be just as safe, and be cheaper.

Now if you want to eliminate chucking and bouncing of the 5er in relation to the tow vehicle. Than you can go with a standard hitch, non-slider and a 5th Airborne Slider pinbox like I stated in the other post. The reason for the fixed hitch is, I have never seen a slider hitch that has air-bags in it to eliminate the chucking/bouncing.
Jim W.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
See my response to your question in the 5th wheel section, for a pinbox.

This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

I believe the dealer is trying to maximize his profit on you. The Reese Pro 15K, hitch is not a slider hitch. They also make it in a slider verision but it is called; 15K Pro Series Fifth Wheel Hitch with Square Tube Slider. So he is adding a different style pin box such as the Sidewinder/Reese Revolution pin box as extra cost to you. You can do the same thing with the standard pinbox and a slider hitch and be just as safe, and be cheaper.

Now if you want to eliminate chucking and bouncing of the 5er in relation to the tow vehicle. Than you can go with a standard hitch, non-slider and a 5th Airborne Slider pinbox like I stated in the other post. The reason for the fixed hitch is, I have never seen a slider hitch that has air-bags in it to eliminate the chucking/bouncing.
Jim W.
I had a Reese 15K Pro with a Reese Fifth Airborn/Sidewinder. Reese has a DESIGN FLAW in the sidewinder that will allow it to DISCONNECT from a single bar hitch. I know this first hand. If you want to know more or see a pic of the truck damage, contact me.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdordahl View Post
I'm purchasing a new Jayco Eagle and was going to install a standard 4 way pivoting fiver hitch in my 2009 Silverado Duramax / Allison. The dealer is trying to sell me the add on Reese Revolution pin box from the factory and pair it with a Sidewinder hitch. It this overkill for my needs?
I had a Reese 15K Pro with a Reese Fifth Airborn/Sidewinder. Reese has a DESIGN FLAW in the sidewinder that will allow it to DISCONNECT from a single bar hitch. I know this first hand. If you want to know more or see a pic of the truck damage, contact me.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick50 View Post
I maybe wrong and do not mean to question what you say, but! I do not think there is a design flaw in this combination.

What I think may have happen and this happen to me also, was that you may have high hitched. What this means is you hitched on the bottom of the pin and not in the recessed part of the pin. The two jaws did not properly lock on the pin then and could be opened by the forward movement of the truck in relation to the 5er.

I did my normal brake check and the pin slipped out of the hitch. A brake check should be done every time you hook up. This is to insure that you are properly hitched before raising your legs on you 5er. Thus avoiding damaging the bed of the pick-up truck and the 5er.

Jim W.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #7

I highly recommend you do not get that Reese 15K pro hitch if you're going to use the revolution/sidewinder. I had one and took it back. I had trouble with that combination. A lot of slop and clanging noise.

I researched what other sidewinder customers used and ended up with a Reese 20K Select for just a little bit more $$$. That's a much better hitch and never makes any chunking noise. Worth every penny. The sidewinder is a little fussy hooking up and using the select series made a big difference. Get the right wedge for it. After a few times and figuring out the right connect/disconnect height, hooking up is a piece of cake.

Another recommendation is to get the fifth airborne option with the Revolution/sidewinder. It gives you a nice smooth ride with the airbag. I plan on driving mine to Alaska so the airbag will be a nice thing to have.

I love our fifth airborne sidewinder. Perfect solution for a short bed pickup and making tight turns without having to get out of the truck.

Oh and FYI, using the 15K pro EVEN with an airbag will still have horrendous chunking noises. I know that from experience.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I maybe wrong and do not mean to question what you say, but! I do not think there is a design flaw in this combination.

What I think may have happen and this happen to me also, was that you may have high hitched. What this means is you hitched on the bottom of the pin and not in the recessed part of the pin. The two jaws did not properly lock on the pin then and could be opened by the forward movement of the truck in relation to the 5er.

I did my normal brake check and the pin slipped out of the hitch. A brake check should be done every time you hook up. This is to insure that you are properly hitched before raising your legs on you 5er. Thus avoiding damaging the bed of the pick-up truck and the 5er.

Jim W.
I have the 5TH Aireborne/sidewinder in my possession. PROOF POSITIVE the 5th Aireborne has a DESIGN FLAW! No excuse for Reese's mistake. I want Reese to acknowledge the design flaw and fix it before someone is seriously injured. Pictures are available of my truck after an accident.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinlan View Post
I highly recommend you do not get that Reese 15K pro hitch if you're going to use the revolution/sidewinder. I had one and took it back. I had trouble with that combination. A lot of slop and clanging noise.

I researched what other sidewinder customers used and ended up with a Reese 20K Select for just a little bit more $$$. That's a much better hitch and never makes any chunking noise. Worth every penny. The sidewinder is a little fussy hooking up and using the select series made a big difference. Get the right wedge for it. After a few times and figuring out the right connect/disconnect height, hooking up is a piece of cake.

Another recommendation is to get the fifth airborne option with the Revolution/sidewinder. It gives you a nice smooth ride with the airbag. I plan on driving mine to Alaska so the airbag will be a nice thing to have.

I love our fifth airborne sidewinder. Perfect solution for a short bed pickup and making tight turns without having to get out of the truck.

Oh and FYI, using the 15K pro EVEN with an airbag will still have horrendous chunking noises. I know that from experience.
Under NO circumstances should you purchase the 5th Aireborn Pin Box!!!
I have the 5TH Aireborne/sidewinder in my possession. PROOF POSITIVE the 5th Aireborne has a DESIGN FLAW! No excuse for Reese's mistake. I want Reese to acknowledge the design flaw and fix it before someone is seriously injured.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #10

The combination of the Reese 15k Pro hitch (single locking bar) or any single locking bar hitch and the 5th Aireborne pin box is a lethal combination.
Under NO circumstances should you purchase the 5th Aireborn Pin Box!!!

I have the 5TH Aireborne/sidewinder in my possession. PROOF POSITIVE the 5th Aireborne has a DESIGN FLAW! No excuse for Reese's mistake. I want Reese to acknowledge the design flaw and fix it before someone is seriously injured.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #11

my new fifth wheel has a reese revolution. my short bed truck has a pro series 20K. the hitch jaws lock on the recess portion of the king pin each and every time so I have no complaint in that respect. my only complaint is that hooking up is a problem if I don't line up the truck to the revolution perfectly. a little off is okay but if I'm too much off line, the wedge binds. I have to pull out and try again untill I'm lined up better. once hooked up, it's great because I never have to think about hitting the cab. in fact I can go past 90 degrees.