Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #1

HITCH OPTIONS FOR LIGHTWEIGHT TTs

As we continue to shop for an 18-20 ft ultralight I'm curious as to what type of hitch to look for. I've read through many of the forums and am thinking that something like the Fastway system would be sufficient for WD and sway control for a sub 4000lb trailer. Any thoughts? It will be pulled by a half ton PU.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
depending on your tv and the TT,
that small of a trailer MAY not need too much hitch...

what are the tv specs ? GVWR, GCWR, rear GAWR, SRW or DRW, and tongue wgt and GVW of TT?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #3

Well, an '06 Tundra has a tow rating of 7100 lbs and the rigs we've looked at weigh 3700-3800 dry with tongue weights between 320-388lbs. I am being conservative with the TT as I want to be well under maximum capacity. It's hard to give exact figures as we are considering three or four different trailers right now. My main question is what is a good starter brand/type of hitch...
Old 06-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
OK -then you should be fine with that light a trailer... until you go bigger, not even sure you should invest in anything more than the standard hitch included with the trailer...
If you want more, you could always make the dealer include it as part of the sale

fyi, a lot of the experts will tell you that dry wgt should not even be reported by the mfg, only the TT's gvwr
because we ALL fill the up with 'stuff' and your real weight will be more toward the gvwr than the dry weight !

the experts will be along shortly to correct my misconceptions
Old 06-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #5

I have a next gen explorer 2012, recently purchase a Rockwood mini lite 2109s TT. Looking to stay around 3650 lbs dry, tongue weight of 325-388 area. It's good to stay well below the max rate recommended, 5k for trailer. I changed my initial thoughts of a basic WDH, I found do some reading that there are small differences in round bar vs flat bar, or standard WDH, or trunnions style with sway control. TheTV has electronic sway control which helps a great deal, but overall sway needs to be handle by the WDH. I purchased. Reese SC WDH, with pad sway control. Pretty nice, no chains or anything like that to mess with.

P n J
Old 06-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkQ View Post
My main question is what is a good starter brand/type of hitch...
There are two basic types of weight-distributing hitches for travel trailers (TTs). Cheap or expensive. Cheap ones cost less than $1,000 complete. The better ones, but more expensive, cost over $2,000. The advantage of the more expensive hitches is that you will have absolutely no sway under even the most extreme conditions. The cheaper brands all control sway, but none of them eliminate sway. Sway is a killer, so you want the best protection you can get.

The cheaper hitches with sway control are sold by Reese, Drawtite, Curt, Hidden Hitch, Valley, Equal-I-Zer, EZ-Hitch and probably some other brands. Of all those, I prefer the Reese Strait-Line dual cam with trunion bars. Here's mine:
Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 10,000 lbs GTW, 800 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66083

Note the weight limits of the hitch. My Reese Strait-Line has a max tongue weight capacity of 800 pounds. My TT with a GVWR of 5,600 pounds has a max tongue weight of about 800 pounds. The most I have seen so far is 650 pounds, so that hitch is the proper capacity for my trailer.

Also note that there are cheaper WD hitches on the market. But I know the Reese Strait-Line does a good job of controlling sway, so that's why I spent the money on it instead of something cheaper.

When comparing prices, pay attention to exactly what you get with the hitch. Most come without the shank, and an adjustable shank will cost you around $100 to $150. Here's one:
Reese Weight Dist Shank - 10" Long - 2-1/4" Drop to 7" Rise - 1,400 lbs TW Reese Accessories and Parts RP3210

There are three brands of the absolutely no sway WD hitches: ProPride 3P, Hensley Arrow, and Pullrite. The Hensley and ProPride were both designed by the same guy, with the ProPride being the newest design. I'm saving up now to replace my Reese hitch with a ProPride.
Trailer Sway Control Hitch Guaranteed to Eliminate Trailer Sway - ProPride 3P
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #7

Thanks, all. I value your opinions. There is so much to read on the interweb that I'm in information overload.