Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2015, 08:15 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Hitch question

While running around the internet I found a product from Safetyhitch.com. It looks pretty cool and would eliminate alot of our issues we are facing if we switch from a coach to a fiver......if it worked as advertised and I can't see why it wouldn't.

Does anyone use or have any experience using this product? it looks like it would be a heck of a set-up. I tried doing a search on here and found nothing.

thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
What is the product? /ken

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
What is the product? /ken
They only make one product, go to safetyhitch.com......Basically it is an axle under the fifthwheel pin and a three point hook-up for your truck.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:22 AM   #4

Not me. Wouldnt use one. I'de just buy a hitch and mount it in the bed.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:37 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe that is what the Semi Drivers call a converter hitch.

No, I do not think it is safer than using a proper 5th wheel in the bed, In fact I think it is less safe. But that is my opinion, Details are too complex for me to go into here but for one thing,, Harder to back up.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:53 AM   #6

Nothing safe about it. Would never even try one. It's an other useless RVing gadget to me. Someone after our money.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That product defeats all the advantages of a 5th wheel. A 5th wheel allows your total length to be shorter for the same size trailer, puts weight over the rear axle where it is easiest to carry, is inherently more stable and sway resistant.

You would be much safer with a standard travel trailer rather than going that route.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:54 PM   #8

Ok, so what in the world would make this UN-safe?
Also what would make it harder to back up?

I concede to the fact it is two extra tires to keep up and I concede that it would add length to a rig. Oh and it's a bit ugly. But even with the added length having the axle's ability to turn would actually creat a tighter turning radius than a bed mounted pin as it would track with the truck more than a hard inside line. This would be the same pricipal as a pup trailer on a set of doubles.

Beyond that I can't see anything UN-safe about it and there is no way possible it would/could be harder to back up, heck it would be easier as it would add more room in turning angle and it would take uneven ground out of play.

Call me stupid I guess, but I don't see any issues with this at all except price. But then again I am not afraid to think outside the box and stray away from what everyone else does. This really isn't much different than the trailer toad for the heavy bumper trailers, at least in my opinion
Old 02-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #9

Backing that setup, is like backing, with a car on a dolly.

Only difference I see, is it can only jack knife a small amount, while backing, then it will just scrubs the tires.

Ever back a trailer with a steering axle? Not easy
Old 02-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Backing that setup, is like backing, with a car on a dolly.

Only difference I see, is it can only jack knife a small amount, while backing, then it will just scrubs the tires.

Ever back a trailer with a steering axle? Not easy
Well yea actually I have and I agree it aint easy.
Have you watched the videos on the website, or are you just speaking to be against something......I'm not being an ass, but if you actually watched the viedos and tried to learn you would realize the axle does not UNLOCK unless moving forward and it is wired into the turn signal. As soon as the turn signal stops the axle locks back in the center position.

Now i guess you could turn your turn signal on before backing up and cause it to unlock rendering a situation you describe. I guess if you decided to turn your hazard flashers on before backing you could simply turn the interlock off.

There is only ONE pivot point, it is the fifthwheel pin.......nowhere else. It hard mounts to your truck hitch in three locations, thus it does not pivot.

At least take a look at the product and the videos before passing judgement. Look I have no dog in this, I have no idea about the product, I don't know the inventer and I get no kickbacks......But I did at least watch and read everything about it before I asked my questions.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:38 PM   #11

Evergreen Owners Club
Mrchips....

Check this 5th wheel for your motorcycle hauling...

3905SH Motorcycle Garage - Lifestyle Luxury Recreational Vehicles, LLC.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:44 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I went to the site and and the concept is ok. however I wish they would have made the unit a bit more robust. since they have plenty of room I think it should have 4 tire on it.
I do like the idea of the unit locking the steer function for normal driving.

I have a part time job where I deliver new and used TTs and 5vers every week. I use a crew cab shortbed F250 and a CC lwb F350 that I tow them with. this product seems like it is just a band aid fix to the problem of not having a truck.
seems for the price they charge for it you could probably tradeup to a truck.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo5er View Post
Mrchips....

Check this 5th wheel for your motorcycle hauling...

3905SH Motorcycle Garage - Lifestyle Luxury Recreational Vehicles, LLC.
I actually have looked at that fiver and for the price it looked a bit cheap....Don't get me wrong it is a great idea and for anyone that owns one I am not slighting you at all. It's just my opinion. I was actually hoping it would be what we wanted.

As for the bandaid quote from mekanic, not really a bandaid. At least not in my case. I actually saw this being used behind a F650. I doubt he was using it as a bandaid. For me, yes I could step up in truck size, but I still can't haul a Goldwing. I am also looking at the swivel wheel trailer and suspect that will be the way we go IF we end up getting rid of the coach for a fiver. But even with that I am always looking for a better mousetrap and quite hinestly could not find a single thing wrong with that set up except price and looks. I probably won't get one, but I was curious about it. I do have to wonder though why they engineered it so long fore to aft. I don't see a reason or benefit for it.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:21 AM   #14

Guilty of not watching all of the videos. Couldn`t get past the 4 cowboys, with their hands in their pockets, watching the mechanic, putting on the hitch..

It still looks like a big, axle spread. Going to do some tire scuffing. Wonder how it will back in grass or gravel.