Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 07:35 AM   #1

Hitch recommendation needed

Hi all,

I hope everyone is having a great Fall. My family and I have finally found the Fiver layout we like and have pulled the trigger on our first Fiver...now, it's time to mate it with a TV and hitch (ill post another topic in the correct area, but also looking for direction on purchasing a generator that's not overpriced from the dealer)

Fiver:
-2015 Heartland Big Country
-GVWR 15,500
-Hitch weight 2,190

TV:
-Potentially a 2011 F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel crew cab w/ 50k miles.
-pending rear end details from
dealer.
-Truck is prepped for fifth wheel

As I'm a newbie, it would be great to get your feedback on the ideal hitch that is a good balance of performance/quality for our new setup. We will be putting some heavy miles on the road as we take off early next year for a year long adventure.

Thank you!
norcalgundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With the poor condition of the roads in this country, I would look for two things for a good RV set up. One would be a trailer with Mor/Ryde IS suspension and a Mor/Ryde pin box. Next would be a Hensley Trailer Saver air ride hitch for the truck.

If you do not want to go with the air ride hitch, at least get an air ride pin box.

We are running the Trailer Saver TS3 on the truck and the trailer has MOr/Ryde IS and a Demco Glide pin box. This is a much easier ride for the trailer and the truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #3

I have a Hensly trl saver BD-3 Rated 18000. With a morryde pin box , great combo to keep your trl floating instead of banging down the road . If not that then the top of the line trailair . About 1,100.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #4

Good call on the dually! Brand not my choice. I would advise looking at the other two for sure!

Hitch no question with the pucks system the B&W is the best non air hitch on the market.

The hitch weight listed is a bunch of Barbara Streisand! It will be a minimum of 20% up to 25%.

I would seriously look at a newer truck. RAM for example is a new truck in the 13 and newer models. Medium Duty engine and transmission with SAE ratings.

Injection pump should be a big concern. Ford has told many to pound sand if there is a water related claim with the CP4 pump. GM has the same pump but do take care of their customers. RAM has the very proven and dependable CP3 pump.

Really all 3 trucks are improved in the last 3 years. I would look at newer for sure!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgundog View Post
...but also looking for direction on purchasing a generator that's not overpriced from the dealer)
Best (and most expensive) would be a Cummins-Onan integrated generator big enough to power your big RV. Here's one:

Amazon.com: Cummins Onan 5.5 HGJAA-600 - RV generator set Quiet Gasoline Series RV QG 5500 EFI: Automotive

Note that one is gasoline powered. Even more conveniente and more expensive would be a diesel-powered Onan genset.

Or if that's out of your price range, you can do what I do. Large Honda portable generator. Mine is a 5,000-watt unit. but for your RV you probably need bigger. Here's one:

EU7000iS from Northern Tool + Equipment

Don't be tempted to buy a cheaper portable generator. They are all much too noisy, and not reliable/ Stick with Honda if you don't want to spend the big bucks for an Onan.

Or if you might want to boondock when you don't need the AC, a better bet would be two EU3000is hooked together parallel. Then you could use one EU3000is when you don't need the AC. and plug in the other one in hot weather.
Honda EU3000iS Portable Inverter Generator — 3000 Surge Watts, 2800 Rated Watts, CARB Compliant, Model# EU3000IS1A | Inverter Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment

Quote:
Fiver:
-2015 Heartland Big Country
-GVWR 15,500
-Hitch weight 2,190
Ignore that hitch weight. It applies only to an empty trailer, and you won't be towing an empty trailer. Count on about 20% of wet and loaded trailer weight will be 5er "pin" weight. So if you load the 5er to 15,000 pounds, your pin weight would be around 3,000 pounds.

Quote:

TV:
-Potentially a 2011 F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel crew cab w/ 50k miles.
-pending rear end details from
dealer.
-Truck is prepped for fifth wheel
Plenty of truck to handle 3,000 pounds of pin weight plus your family and a lot of junk in the pickup. GVWR is 13,300 pounds, minus 3,000 pounds for pin weight leaves you with 10,300 pounds for the maximum weight of the wet and loaded truck. With a normal family and pets and a few tools and jacks, plus the Reese Elite 5er hitch you should buy to plug into the factory prep kit, you should find it easy to stay below 10,000 pounds gross truck weight before you tie onto the trailer.

Quote:
As I'm a newbie, it would be great to get your feedback on the ideal hitch that is a good balance of performance/quality for our new setup.
You have several choices of good 5er hitches. But I would stick with the one that was optional from your Ford dealer to use with the Ford 5er/gooseneck prep kit. Reese Elite. Not cheap, but a really good one. The one that was a Ford option is rated a max trailer weight of 21,000 pounds. A slightly lighter-duty model now available is rated for 18,000 pounds. With your 15.5k trailer, the 18k hitch should be all you need. You can buy it from your Ford dealer, or you can probably do better from a discount on-line hitch source, such as etrailer.com.
Reese Elite Series Pre-Assembled 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch w/ Wiring Harness - Single Jaw - 18,000 lbs Reese Fifth Wheel RP30142
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #6

Thank you all for the insight and yes, there is always going to be those that are for and against specific truck mfgs and to me, I currently have a 2013 Ram 3500 Mega cab that I love, but my thought was that 1. I wanted a DRW truck for more stability and safety for our long haul and 2. I am getting a pretty sweet deal from a buddy that is a GM of a Ford dealer, so I am ok with going to other side to drive a clean F350 DRW.

As for the hitch, I have started to shop them and as my typical self, will build a spreadsheet to do some cross comparing of quality/safety level/cost. The recommendations so far are all good and I am using the insight to make my damn mind up.

I am leaning towards getting a propane Onan 5500 for the rig, maybe a bit bigger if the DW will forgo her birthday present this month
norcalgundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgundog View Post
I am leaning towards getting a propane Onan 5500 for the rig, maybe a bit bigger if the DW will forgo her birthday present this month
Propane works fine. Burns very clean so less contamidation of the engine oil and spark plugs. Right now I have a 45-year old Massey-Ferguson farm tractor that was converted to propane when it was brand new. Engine is still clean as a pin.

But big caveat: The purpose of the generator is to provide electricity when you are boondocking and shore power is not available. That means propane will also not be available. So you must either haul extra tanks, or haul your empty propane tanks into somewhere that will refill the tanks. Big problem.

Same for gasoline-powered generators, but gasoline is a lot more likely to be available at the nearest Mom&Pop store than propane.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just do what I did: be able to use both!
Propane and Natural Gas Generator Conversion Kits - Motor Snorkel
Old 11-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #9

FYI Curt made in china, a lot if not all REESE made in Mexico.

PullRite and B&W US Made.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote