Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2016, 10:40 PM   #1

Hitch size?

I know what WD hitch to buy has been discussed at length in the threads but I have to ask in a little different way. My sister has recently purchased her first TT and needs to buy a WD hitch before she takes delivery. If I remember right she has 33' Laredo bunkhouse. I'm not sure of the tongue weight, but I think she said it had a max weight of around 8,000lbs. She'll be towing with an F250, and it's her first time towing much of anything.

I use a Equalizer WD Hitch for my trailer that is a similar size and floor plan but much heavier. I'm happy with my hitch but I'm concern of the actual weight of the hitch itself and the effort needed to snap the bars into place when hitching up. Even when I take the bars off of the hitch head, the hitch head assembly is a heavy chunk of steel. She wants to be able to do everything herself, so weight of the hitch and effort to install are important. My other choices for her would be the Reese Straight-line or the Blue Ox but I have no experience with them. Do they all weight about the same? Do they take a lot of effort to get the bars set when you hitch up for towing?

Thank you,

Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2016, 11:19 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When I bought my trailer, I also bought an Equal-I-Zer 4 way WD hitch from the dealer. I made sure they didn't charge me more than I would pay on Amazon. They made a fair piece of change from me on the trailer, so I refused to pay too much for the hitch and told them I would be more than happy to buy online and deal with it myself. They told me they would match the price, so I went for it.

What I got was the hitch, *and* they set it up for me. They've done hundreds, so why not? I saved money, time, and likely some frustration. Big win as far as I'm concerned.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #3

1BigMess,

Thanks, that is good advice. I'd rather they set the hitch up for her at least the first time. I'll let her know to negotiate the price and get the install included.

Do you think all of those hitch heads weigh about the same? If so, I was thinking she could get that Hitch Grip handle to use when picking it up.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 02-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=jbenoit28;2945943]If I remember right she has 33' Laredo bunkhouse. I'm not sure of the tongue weight, but I think she said it had a max weight of around 8,000lbs. [\quote]

Closest I can find is the Laredo 299BH. 32'10" long. 6819 shipping weight plus 1381 cargo carrying capacity = 8,200 GVWR.

Laredo

If she loads it to 8,000 pounds. with the normal 13% tongue weight that would be over 1,000 pounds tongue weight plus the weight of the WD hitch shank/head/ball. The WD hitch should be rated for more than the max TW she would ever have. So the weight capacity she needs is 1,200 pounds tongue weight (TW).

Quote:
My other choices for her would be the Reese Straight-line or the Blue Ox but I have no experience with them. Do they all weight about the same? Do they take a lot of effort to get the bars set when you hitch up for towing?
Blue Ox is similar design to the Equal-I-Zer and probably about the same weight or perhaps a bit heavier.

Here's the Strait-Line with shank and 1,200 pound trunnion bars.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...200+with+shank

I have a Strait-Line with trunnion spring bars. Works great. I'm an old man and no longer very strong. It's a handful, but no real problem for me to lift the head/shank/ball and plug it into the receiver. Granddaughter is a 40-something skinny grandmother and has no problem handling that much weight.

For the lift-up brackets, you use a cheater pipe. The one that comes with the hitch is about 12" long, but it's easy to make a longer one out of 3/4" pipe. The one I haul with me is about 18" long, and even a weakling can lift up the brackets to tighten the spring bars in the dual cams.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #5

Smokey, so now she wants to use a F150 with Max Tow & HD Payload to tow the trailer around. I think the numbers would work but in my opinion a rookie who has never towed anything over the length of a Jetski would be better off in a F250 sized TV. My thoughts are the 33' length will be more of an issue for her than the actual weight. What do you think?

Joe
Old 02-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenoit28 View Post
Smokey, so now she wants to use a F150 with Max Tow & HD Payload to tow the trailer around. I think the numbers would work but in my opinion a rookie who has never towed anything over the length of a Jetski would be better off in a F250 sized TV. My thoughts are the 33' length will be more of an issue for her than the actual weight. What do you think?

Joe
I've never towed an RV trailer that long. I towed a 5er that was 25' box with an F-250 with no problem. My current RVtrailer that I tow with an F-150 is a so-called 22' overall length, but only 19.5' box length and it's no problem either.

But others that are experienced towing a 30'+ TT say it's too long for an F-150 to tow safely because the wind resistance on the side of the trailer can easily be too much for the light-weight F-150 to keep the tires planted to the road in cross-winds. An F-250 weighs a lot more than an F-150 and thus can better handle the longer trailer in adverse conditions.

If she orders a new F-150 with the HD Payload pkg, then she can probably load the trailer and not overload the F-150. But I'd worry about that huge windsail wagging the trailer behind the tow vehicle, even with a good WD hitch and not being overloaded. The only way I'd approve of that combo for my daughter or granddaughter is if she also invested in a ProPride hitch with which to tow that trailer. The crosswinds will still pound on the sides of the trailer, but the ProPride hitch will eliminate the chance of sway and keep the trailer back there where it belongs. Even with the ProPride hitch and the F-150, she would still feel the tail trying to wag the dog under adverse cnditions.

So yeah, I agree with you that the F-250 would be a much better match for that trailer.

Darling Granddaughter bought an F-250 to drag her two-horse trailer. SuperCab shorty gasser. She loves it. Perfect for a young cowgirl. Somehow it doesn't seem so big with that SuperCab body and the shorter bed. And her Dad insists on driving it as a commuter car when it's available and not gone off to a rodeo somewhere.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #7

The blue Ox is easy enough for me to set up alone. I'm. 42 yo female with a 2-level lumbar spine fusion in place.

A F250 will control that long and heavy trailer much better than a half ton. Length here places a factor. Crosswinds have a large wall to push against. I'd definitely go with the 3/4 ton even though she may squeak by on numbers for a half ton.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #8

Smokey & Loraura,

I agree with you both. I'm her baby brother with only 20 years of towing experience to her zero, what do I know about such things??

If it works out, she might get the F150 and grow tired of backing up such a long trailer and trade down to more manageable trailer making the F150 and her brother much happier.

Joe