Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #1

Hitches

Looking for a B&W under bed with companion 5th wheel hitch and does anyone have any recommendations who to buy one from,there are so many distributors out there. I will be installing the hitch myself
Thank you,
Chip:
Chip & Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #2

I have the Companion Slider and got it from Ranch Hand. They were considerably less expensive than CW or other camper dealers. They also sell the Turnover Ball hitch but my truck already had that installed when I bought it.

I happened to watch them install a Turnover on another truck while they were assembling my Companion and honestly, I am pretty handy, have lots of tools, but I am not sure I would install the Turnover myself. The videos on You-Tube make it look fairly easy and straightforward, but in watching the install, it wasn't really. Very accurate measurements are CRITICAL to a successful install.

Yes, there are a number of places to purchase them. I would just go for whoever is closest and cheapest to you. Do not worry too much about support from wherever you buy it as B&W has absolutely top flight customer support.
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #3

Thank you Chalkie I did see that video but I did also find a local dealer and they are going to install it first of the week thank you for that input

Thanks Chip
Chip & Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #4

Make sure that if you have a newer truck (2008 or later) that you get the reinforcement plate that goes under the Companion so it won't bend the thin truck bed.

A friend complained about bending at the corners and B&W sent him the new plate. Ads some weight but spreads the force out to minimize distortion to the bed floor.
Bipeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #5

If installing it yourself I'd say it's a no brainer to get from whichever dustributor is cheapest!
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipeflier View Post
Make sure that if you have a newer truck (2008 or later) that you get the reinforcement plate that goes under the Companion so it won't bend the thin truck bed.

A friend complained about bending at the corners and B&W sent him the new plate. Ads some weight but spreads the force out to minimize distortion to the bed floor.
I am really curious what this reinforcement plate is that you are referring to. I have nothing like that on my 2008 and I checked with a buddy that has a 2013 and he has no special plate of any sort. The B&W site makes no mention of a plate in the install instructions for the Turnover or the Companions, so, as I said, I am curious.
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
I am really curious what this reinforcement plate is that you are referring to. I have nothing like that on my 2008 and I checked with a buddy that has a 2013 and he has no special plate of any sort. The B&W site makes no mention of a plate in the install instructions for the Turnover or the Companions, so, as I said, I am curious.
I was just checking into one of these last year and they had just recently changed the design and everywhere still stocked the old style with some funky plastic adapter spacers and I didn't want to wait for an ordered new style to arrive so I never bought it and continued to use my gooseneck adapter on my trailer instead.
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #8

First off the B&W is the best hitch on the market as far as i'm concerned, You will love it.
The reinforcement plates are for the Dodge and Chevy trucks, to keep the bed floor from flexing due to thinner metal in the floor. The new RVK3500 companion has a wider flange and you won't need the extra plates. it's also rated for 20K lbs. where to old companion is rated for 18K.

Built in USA
SLJKansas is offline   Reply With Quote