Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #1

Honda Ridgeline pulling Orbit ultra lite

I have a question about pulling my TT.

The TT is well within the weight 3,000 lbs. When I started the reccommendation was NOT to use a weight distribution hitch. However I'm questioning that because the rear tires seem slightly flattened and the ride of the Ridgeline seems like most of the springs are used up.

I have measured the clearence from the top of the tires to the top of the wheel well loaded and unloaded and there isn't a lot of difference. The rear tires decrease by about 2 inches while the frount ones stay about the same.

The hitch on the Ridgeline and the TT match well horizontally.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2. Why would you NOT want to use a WD system. I would get a basic Reese system and a friction sway control. You will find the tow vehicle rides better.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #3

Hello Ken,

The reason(s) I did not (have not) used a HD hitch:

The "Hitches R Us" how installed the brake, pickup ball & hitch said that a HD was not reccommended by Honda. I also called Honda and they told be the same thing. Saying that the main thing was to stay within the weight limitation.

I am looking for what you described; a better ride in the tow vehicle.

I totally ignorant about selecting the "basic Reese unit" and adjusting it. I am also newly retired and need to make every dollar count. So I was thinking of starting my search with a second hand RV parts shop here in Phoenix.

Any further thoughts about purchasing the proper hitch and adjusting it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Fred
Old 05-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #4

I understand that the information you are referring to for no W/D on a Ridgeline is also in the User Manual and the reason for no W/D is because of the suspension the Ridgeline uses. I just can't believe a 2" drop in the back with 0 drop in the front can feel very safe.

Does the front end feel too weightless when you are steering or trying to maintain a straight line?

Have you searched on any Honda forums, specifically in a Ridgeline section, to see if anyone else is using W/D?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #5

Here are a couple of links to a Ridgeline forum specifically talking about adding W/D.

ridgelineownersclub.com - Giving in WDH

ridgelineownersclub.com - Do you use a WDH
Old 05-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #6

Thanks for the links and comments,

I'm concerned about the 2" drop also. Although I don't notice handling problems or have just gotten used to them.

This last 3,000 miles I noticed a slight "flatness" in the rear tires. I have not changed the pressure from the reccommended psi on the door panel. I guess I should boost it to max?

The Orbit is shaped like a parachute and is affected by wind however with a sway bar it is mostly a vibration and not a control issue. Also even at 3,000lbs the tongue weight seems high. (I have not weighed)

I am thinking about a WDH stronger after checking the links. I'm wondering what kind of hitches (make and model) owners found to be good. It seems like a big concern is putting to much hitch in action.

I'm checking some local resources here in Phoenix....so far only one option.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would talk to them at Reese about the Reese Hitch Products
Mini 350.

It is meant for smaller trailers.

Next the probably reason that Honda does not recommend a WD hitch is that the Ridgeline does not have a conventional frame...it is monocoupe construucted. This is fine for a car, but not for a truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #8

Ive been towing a similar weight trailer with my Ridgeline with no problems. What's the hitch weight?
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowreef View Post
Ive been towing a similar weight trailer with my Ridgeline with no problems. What's the hitch weight?
08 Ridgeline owner here. We made our first towing trip 1 of our trailers last week. Used a WDH and she pulled flawlessly 150 mile there, and 150 miles back. I don't have the WDH set to hold a lot of the weight, but, it does take pressure off on big bumps etc.............trailer we weighed on scale, fully loaded at 4958#'s

I want my ac is offline   Reply With Quote