Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #1

Horrible Tow combinations-cops-weigh stations-RV dealers...

I'm wondering how it is across the US? I drive contantly for work around here in PA and always shake my head seeing small SUV's maxed out with a larger camper and causing visible hazard...
Obviously the consumer goes to the dealer wanting the largest camper they can afford and tow with that vehicle however, I think dealerships often let things slide for the commission. A legitamate 1ton dually, properly equipped with a large fifthwheel or TT (meeting all weight and restrictions) is more likely to be forced into a weigh station or pulled over. I have never seen this on the flip side with smaller set ups, has anyone?
Knowing my trucks capabilities, horsepower, torque etc... I can say that if I was a few hundred pounds overweight I would not sweat it being a hazard but my set up is under all restricted areas.
2 years ago at a Virginia Beach campground, an extended cab short box F150 pulled in, squatting, with a Jayco 351RLTSS and it did not look right at all...

EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #2

2 years ago at a Virginia Beach campground, an extended cab short box F150 pulled in, squatting, with a Jayco 351RLTSS and it did not look right at all...

Stupidity isn't illegal, yet.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble

Stupidity isn't illegal, yet.
Very true!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
Obviously the consumer goes to the dealer wanting the largest camper they can afford and tow with that vehicle however, I think dealerships often let things slide for the commission.
Posted elsewhere recently but worth repeating:

1. If the dealer says you need a 1/2 ton truck to pull an RV, go buy a 3/4 ton truck.
2. If the dealer says you need a 3/4 ton truck to pull an RV, go buy a 1 ton dually.
3. If the dealer says you need a 1 ton dually to pull an RV, time to go see Freightliner.

In 20+ years of RVing, I've never seen an RV in a state weigh station. Generally speaking, the weights and measures enforcers concentrate on the commercial vehicles.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #5

Occasionally our provincial government goes on an enforcement kick to show us voters they are doing something constructive. When we see an F-150 towing a 30+ foot trailer we try to stay out of the way especially on the mountain passes. He needs all the room he can get.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In WA, it seems very little safety enforcement is done.
Undersize TV, overloaded truck campers, broken windshields, and no lights in the fog and rain. I guess LEO is only after the high dollar tickets!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #7

Can dealerships be penalized?

Things I've heard them say...:

Pack light
Make sure your tanks are empty
Only use one propane tank
Don't use the fresh water tank, or fill it
Do your grocery shopping after you get to the destination
Buy these 28 dollar strap on mirrors and you should be ok...
Take a trip on the road and then decide if you need all of the proper tow bars... (Really??)

I've heard em say a lot of BS...
Old 06-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All to often they are trying to get a boy to do a man's job. There needs to be some sort of regulation, but what and how to enforce it. They don't even enfoce most of the basic traffic laaws anymore.

Ken
Old 06-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Came home from the North Carolina mountains last Monday. Was driving about 60MPH on a 55MPH road and at every passing lane, I was passed by several vehicles. Most had to be doing at least 70MPH. One was a cop keeping up with the rest. I was concerned that he may want to stop me for impeding the flow of hi-speed traffic.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #10

Once upon a time on a 2 lane I came up behind a TT. The rear was quite high and I could see a very narrow track tow vehicle was pulling it. When I had room to pass I then saw it was a Jeep CJ5 with 4 people and no equalizing hitch pulling a mid 20ft tandem axle TT. The CJ's front tires were barely making contact with the ground. Hope they made their destination.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #11

Safety

Hi

As a consultant I audit DOT paperwork for common carriers. What I hear from the larger trucking companies, owner operators and commercial drivers I would say that not to far in the future the RV community would become regulated just like the commercial operators.

The government can make this happen the same way the made the 13.5 ft height restriction and use of child restraint seats happen.

Remember when the 18-wheelers use to take up all the lanes on the multi lane highways and you couldn’t pass them. Now look at the lane restrictions placed on most highways. This is the result of the big trucks abusing the passing lane only because they could. Now they cant.

So the RV community can continue to proceed as they are presently until the regulations become over bearing.

Remember there isn’t a rule, regulation or law that says the RV is exempt from the Commercial Vehicle regulations however there is a rule, regulation or law that defines a “Private Use” vehicle that is exempt from the Commercial Vehicle regulations and that is the regulations the RV, horse trailer, race car hauler or any other vehicle that qualifies under the “private use” vehicle definition.

The grant system that is presently used to distribute funds to the states for maintenance of the Federal Highway system contain a “Qualification” section in the grant. The state applying for the funds must comply with the “Qualification” section of the grant before they get the money. The present grant qualification is a single requirement. The state applying for the grant must first put in place a rule, regulation or law that requires the use of child restraint seats. The wording required in the rule, regulation or law is contained in the grant qualification. With in a year or 2 all states will have the use of child restraint rule, regulation or law in place.

And the U. S. Federal DOT will be able to say they don’t regulate the use of child restraint seats or vehicle height Etc.

I am not saying you cant do what ever you want what I am saying is the continued abuse of the “safe Vehicle” rules will result in the RV community losing there freedom.

My recommendation is to put your rig on the Cat Scale and adjust what ever is needed to become within the “Safe Vehicle” limitations as prescribe by the engineers that designed the vehicle / vehicles you are trying to use.

If for no other reason than your own safety.

3665RE

Some of this is the regulation in effect at this time the rest is my opinion.