Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam3md View Post
De you regret the 43? Any issues on road bridges at that height? If we were going for pleasure, then mapping out places to stay that would handle a 44 would be no issue. But, since we will be going where and when a storm hits, limits the where to stay planning.

Thanks for your input!
No regrets, but as said before, state, and Nat parks parks are pretty much out. I have found a few tunnels and bridges we can't go on or through, and at 43 ft the weight with the truck can also be an issue, and not just for weight requirements. We came into a town in upstate NY, that had a 5 ton limit. I ignored it, and later found out why they had a limit. I tried to make a right turn, and I just barely made it. That wasn't fun. I love towing this thing though. We live the living space, but next time (if there is) I think I will stay around 34-35 ft. I think the 43 ft length makes it tow very straight down the highway.

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #16

Quote:
My wife and I are about to begin a new career as catastrophic insurance adjusters and will possibly be on the road for 6-8 mos at a time.

Seems that if you going to towns that have hurricane /flooding/wildfire etc damage the electric utility grid could still be in a state of disrepair. I say better to have a large class A motorhome with a built-in generator. Preferably diesel. That way you are completely self sufficient- and able to move at a moments notice. Pull a smaller pickup truck or SUV (maybe a 4x4 jeep) behind the motorhome - this becomes your "getting around town" work vehicle.

The large basement storage of a class A diesel will accommodate a ladder easily.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #17

You might consider a Renegade with a garage as they give you the hauling capacity you need. They can tow from 20K to 40K depending on what you are hauling and carrying over 7K of stuff in the coach itself. They can be configured to meet your needs. Collapsible ladders up to 17' are available and easily fit in the storage bins.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:45 PM   #18

Toy haulers with gas tanks onboard with a gas generator would be very useful if you are camped in areas with damages to work as insurance adjusters. Length concerns are moot, just make sure you have enough truck in front of it!
Old 10-06-2015, 08:51 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post

I think most will agree, the bigger the rig, the more difficult it is to maneuver and find places to park.
I don't find that our 45' MH with liftable tag is any harder to drive or park than our previous 40' single rear axle unit was. It is more stable on the road too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I don't find that our 45' MH with liftable tag is any harder to drive or park than our previous 40' single rear axle unit was. It is more stable on the road too.
Agree.

It appears there are a lot of posters who are quoting the party line. Or expressing the doubt that bigger is tougher to drive.

Most do not realize that once the front end is past the rest just follows. The coach/5er does not change width or length magically while you are driving.

True you have to be aware there is extra length when turning, however a short C with a long overhang may have as many issues with turning because of swing.

You have to be aware of the unit you are driving and it's characteristics. None of it is impossible or mysterious. Not many experienced drivers will swing into a spot without getting out, looking, planning their moves and having someone assist them when maneuvering. Driving and parking any RV does not have much room for egos.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #21

I understand completely...decisions, decisions...thanks
Old 10-07-2015, 02:56 PM   #22

Well, since this is not going to be for pleasure, I think state and natl parks are off our radar anyway. With catastrophic storms, we may be staying in walmart parking lots. Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Well, since this is not going to be for pleasure, I think state and natl parks are off our radar anyway. With catastrophic storms, we may be staying in walmart parking lots. Thanks again.
Surprisingly I have had more issues with the custom parking curbs installed in many of the Walmart parking lots to delineate the ends of the parking aisles than pulling into campgrounds.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
JMO but that 4200 with the side patio may be a hindrance. You're are subject to RV parks at that length in the town that you're are drawn to for work. Not all Parks are going to have the room for that fold out side patio. Same for the rear patio.
I would want a view some where. If you can't put the rear or side patios down then the only windows are the ones on the dinette side. It could get quite dark during the winter months.
That size and style of TH needs some big room to be functional IMO, plus a DRW diesel truck.

I completely understand and have thought about the side deck. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Surprisingly I have had more issues with the parking curbs installed in many of the Walmart parking lots to diliniate the parking aisles than pulling into campgrounds.
UGH, i didn't even think about those...
Old 10-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
UGH, i didn't even think about those...
I have been able to get into them with both the truck and 5er as well as the coach and stacker. Just go slow and use the entire width from curb side to curb side.

Dump the tag and with 60 degree wheel cut the task is easily accomplished but I go slow.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #27

Large fresh,grey,black tanks. Good generater which is quiet. Could be dry camping for first week or so. Auto gen start would be nice as well.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Speaking of Walmart parking lots or any parking lots for that matter. Courtesy says no jacks or put down jack blocks to save marring the asphalt surface.

I have experimented with parking over a drain. If you get close to centering over a drain you can get the coach very close to level. I turn on the leveling system and watch the lights. Enough jockeying back and forth should be able to get the green light most of the time. Still have not figured out how much to allow for the suspension to lower so the level remains green. Working on it.