Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

How do I replace or fix door?

Hi I'm wondering how I would go about fixing my campers door? It seems as though someone kicked it from the inside when it was closed. Also the wood on the inside was rotted out. I tried replacing the wood but the door is still warped like. Here are photo's with the door totally closed. The problem is on the side & near the bottom of the door.
mntbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Easiest way is to find an RV dealer that handles that brand of trailer and order a new door for that make/model of trailer. R&R of the door should be a simple job of removing a bunch of screws and replacing the old door with the new replacement, then screw all the fasteners back into the new door frame.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:05 PM   #3

You might try warping the door back the opposite way that it's warped and see if it will bend back. If the bottom is warped out place a piece of 2x4 at the top and wedge a longer board from the ground tight against the bottom and let it sit overnight and see if it will warp back. Has worked for me before with older doors in houses. Hope this will save you some coin vs. a new door.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:28 AM   #4

My guess is that the wood frame inside the door has rotted and the screws holding the molding/seal on have pulled out or rusted off. Several screws in the door on my Alfa will not tighten up. Many years ago, I had a cab over camper and removed the door and disassembled the lower part to replace the rotted wood. I remember that in the sides it had a bolt that went through so you could “torque” the side to get it square.

Paul
Old 03-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #5

If the screws are not grabbing try wrapping them in some plumbers teflon tape and torquing to just before you feel it will strip. might give you some time to get a better solution.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #6

Those doors are standard issue and generally not that expensive. Should not be hard to get.

The DIY option is to pull the door and carefully disassemble it. The problem(s) should be easy to identify at that point. This option would let you rebuild the door or replace it depending on your ability.

I'd suggest these doors take a lot of abuse. Not a good place to be taking short cuts....
Old 03-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
We rebuilt dozens of these doors. It is not a hard job. You will have to remove it. There is no heavy metal brace, so that will not be the problem of the curve in the door. The wood braces are thin wood and water seeps in and rots the door. remove the door, Remove the window. Remove the lock. Remove the inner door panel. Replace the wood. seal the door as you are going back together. Make sure you keep the top of the door sealed and the window and lock, also. (so it doesn't happen again.)

Tags
door, replace