Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2016, 11:54 AM   #29

I have a 07 3500 SRW 5.9L CTD and tow a 14K very tall 5vr (13'4")

Tires are speed rated for 75 mph and if I increase air pressure 10# I can run 85 mph

BUT.......I hate Interstates. Travel on them only when it is absolutely necessary otherwise we travel secondary/back roads so speed is 62 mph or less.

Nothing like actually seeing the sights and enjoying the drive

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I was just down in Texas and saw a 5th travel at 65 with a 240,000 lb gvw. 19 axles.
that was impressive. It also had hydraulic cylinder articulated rear carrier. they were hauling government load and label "explosive" Hmmmm

In the rest area they walked each wheel and checked the hub temperature with an IR temperature sensor. I do the same thing but also check the side wall and tread temps too.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #31

I drive safely for my rig, my ability, the ability of those around me (sorry if that might mean you), and the current road conditions. Most cars pass me, some 5ers pass me (possibly unsafely), and a very few semis pass me. The rest run with me in the right lane. Bottom line, I'd rather be the guy everyone passes in the right lane than the guy everyone passes in the ditch.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #32

Diesel and I try to run about 65 mph. Slightly faster if tailwinds, but slightly slower with headwinds. I averaged 12 mpg over 6k towing miles this summer including 10k ft Monarch Pass and many more mountain grades to the Oregon coast.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #33

We pull a 21,000lb toy hauler well into the 50's on the flats...sometimes 60 going downhill but rarely. I get 20.7mpg in my turbo diesel F350...10.1 towing.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:02 AM   #34

So was just coming home to SoCal from Tulsa on I-40 and some jackhole in his 2500 Duramax (darker color, black or gunmetal color) towing a 5er was passing people, driving like crap and doing about 77 miles per hour. Was not towing but try to keep my cruise set at 79mph and I barely crept by him. It was a 30"+ 5er that looked extra tall and quite narrow with vertical narrow tail lights. Hope this was not anyone on this board.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #35

Much like that Duramax driver, every person who ever put their rig in a ditch (or worse) THOUGHT they were completely in control seconds before the event that led to their demise.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #36

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Nurse View Post
Much like that Duramax driver, every person who ever put their rig in a ditch (or worse) THOUGHT they were completely in control seconds before the event that led to their demise.
Well said!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #37

I've been a trucker off and on for over 36 yrs now, which just means I've seen a lot of "different" drivers. The last 18 yrs I've pulled doubles... I say Slow down and enjoy the trip ! Over a whole days travel, you are only going to gain 10-15 minutes,,, Maybe... A guy at work brags about driving 80+ mph with his 5th wheel... Nuts.... My buddy I've run with for years and still do has a 5th wheel, and both of us will give rv's all the room we can... Just Please remember most company trucks are set at a speed,,, if we catch you,, Please don't speed up when we are passing... Thankyou, be safe, alot of us truckers are rv'rs too !!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Wilber1, you are of course correct, but there's no arguing logic or science with some folks. (I'm trying hard to suppress any comments about science deniers that will get me edited.) As witnessed by some of the posters above, they think money will overcome physics and safety. Their money also somehow cancels the action of the wind, since, "the wind won't make much of a difference." Interesting that so many included MPG with their MPH reports except those that tow very fast, again, I guess fuel costs doesn't matter when you have so much money. All the speeders seem to ignore the danger not only to their family or property, but also the danger to everyone they encounter along the way. I hope those being influenced by these reports will take all that into account before taking off on their own adventures.
Thanks. Some people don't seem to understand that as your speed increases, so does the kinetic energy stored in your rig. The amount of energy to be dissipated increases dramatically with speed but the ability of the vehicle's brakes and tires to dissipate that energy into the pavement doesn't increase at all. Not even a little bit.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilber1 View Post
Thanks. Some people don't seem to understand that as your speed increases, so does the kinetic energy stored in your rig. The amount of energy to be dissipated increases dramatically with speed but the ability of the vehicle's brakes and tires to dissipate that energy into the pavement doesn't increase at all. Not even a little bit.

In fact , it actual decreases with speed. I learned that the hard way on the motorcycle. Of course it doesn't decrease as much in a good Tow vehicle as it does on a motorcycle but it still decreases.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Wilber1, you are of course correct, but there's no arguing logic or science with some folks. (I'm trying hard to suppress any comments about science deniers that will get me edited.) As witnessed by some of the posters above, they think money will overcome physics and safety. Their money also somehow cancels the action of the wind, since, "the wind won't make much of a difference." Interesting that so many included MPG with their MPH reports except those that tow very fast, again, I guess fuel costs doesn't matter when you have so much money. All the speeders seem to ignore the danger not only to their family or property, but also the danger to everyone they encounter along the way. I hope those being influenced by these reports will take all that into account before taking off on their own adventures.

Speeders, when did driving the speed limit equate to being a speeder? There isn't a special speed for RV's,at least not here in Texas. Driving 15-20 mph below the speed limit can also be dangerous, probably just as dangerous as driving the speed limit or possibly even more so. The "double your speed, you quadruple you're stopping distance" is ridiculous. Heck, why not drive 20 mph if that's the case. If I had to drive 50-55 I'd just stay home and maybe when I retire that'll work but I doubt it. But, if you have the right tow vehicle towing the speed limit isn't dangerous at all. As in all driving, one has should adjust to current conditions. If you can't tow at least close to the speed limit there are bigger issues in my opinion. Saying that, I could careless what speed anyone tows at and people should tow at the speed they are comfortable with but towing close to the speed limit shouldn't be an issue.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
In fact , it actual decreases with speed. I learned that the hard way on the motorcycle. Of course it doesn't decrease as much in a good Tow vehicle as it does on a motorcycle but it still decreases.
Unless of course your rig generates F1 downforce and can pull 5G under braking, but of course you will need to be doing somewhere north of 150 MPH to do that.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #42

Quote:
The "double your speed, you quadruple you're stopping distance" is ridiculous.
It's not ridiculous, it's physics. Do whatever you want, physics doesn't give a crap. A speed limit is just a number. Physics doesn't give a crap about that either.

Tags
5th wheel, tow