Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #113

Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Agree - it seems to be a case of "monkey see, monkey do". Too many are out there cherry picking the rules they want to follow and then justifying it with some mystical rationale. Thank goodness most of them get away with being fool hardy.
Agreed. And they seem to always want to imitate an overloaded rig going WAY over the posted limit on E rated tires..... or the other flavor out here in the west of the guy that blows past you on a long, steep mountain climb only to be on the side of the road before the top with the hood up. Happens way too often. There seems to be a correlation with lifted trucks behaving this way.....

Stupid is, stupid does.

2014 Raptor 300MP, 2014 Cowboy Cadillac - Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel DRW 4.10 Rear End, Firestone Airbags, Curt Q20.
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #114
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have yet to find a need to get in a hurry. I like to tow our 5r at 60-65 mph on the highways because it seems to yield the best mpg, but this also depends on the weather, terrain, and those other vehicles with loose nuts behind the wheel.

John & Tonya Brown

John & Tonya
'07 F350 DRW CC Lariat 4X4 (Tow Boss Package)
'08 Carriage Cameo 37RE3
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:21 AM   #115
Depends... the big cummins pretty happy at 60 in 5th... but when I use the big cog, she really settles in about 70.

Both cases put her right in the torque peak just shy of 2,000 rpms
2014 Ram 3500 CCLB 4x4 Dually 68RFE, 370/800 Cummins 3.42 highway gear - Deep Cherry Red
2016 Coachmen Chapparal 360IBL
Sold - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT QCLB 4x4 - Cummins Power
chertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:29 AM   #116
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I cringe when I see questions like this. Some will reply, "75 mph" or some other outlandish claim of speed. "Never had an accident or a ticket" is often added to such claims. It only takes one accident to be life changing.

What are your tires rated for? How valuable are the lives and property you're hauling? What's your hurry? How stable is your tow vehicle when loaded? How does it handle? How's your driving? What's your blood pressure after an hour at 75 mph as compared to an hour at 62 mph? How much more fuel did your truck use to gain the 12 extra miles covered in an hour?

Those are some of the questions only YOU can answer.
The correct answer
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:34 AM   #117
Usually 60 to 65. Sometimes I'll hit 70 if I'm heading down a hill and about to approach another hill, just to build momentum. Don't know my towing mileage on my current '12 TV. Driving right I could get close to 15 towing with the '04.

charliez is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, tow