Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #29

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
i thought the 'super single' tires were prox $1000 each (!!) and you'd probably need a matched set of 4, need matched size on truck front end,
and then wheels too (more $ !!),

but then the load rating is way above the Load-E's that i have with my singles: 35x12.50x18 ($380 per)

the reasons to like the 'super-single's is many, but I thought one of those reasons was that the truck footprint resembles that of SRW not that of the humped dually,
being able to garage a TV in snow country in the typical home thin garage might be a real plus

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #30

off topic:

Fatdog, those "super singles" you see are highly sensitive to load. When you run empty you must deflate them to prevent wearing out the center, when towing you must inflate them according to load, or risk ruining a $1K tire. Trucking companies simply pass the costs along to the customers, can you?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #31

Back in the old days I used to see people pull a 40 foot 5er with a 2500 pick up frequently and, in fact, I have also done so. Fortunately, I never had a problem or an accident. If you pull a trailer with an under rated tow vehicle, you risk much and, if you have an accident, a good lawyer will find this and exploit it in court to your disadvantage with a statement like," This person knowingly and willfully broke the law and now you suffer as a result!" I am being sued in court by an unscrupulous plaintiff and lawyer over a parking lot bump my daughter had. (the claim was 235$ worth of bumper damage on her car, 0 on my daughters car.) The plaintiff is requesting my insurance settle for my max liability coverage. 1,000,000$ saying she and her three children suffered neck damage and that she is unable to work and her kids, 3 of them, have permanent neck injuries so they live with pain forever.

My insurance has repeatedly asked for verification but never get any. Now, just 1 day before the statute of limitations runs out, I get sued in civil court.

There are people out there who truly believe YOU are there to provide for them until they die. To protect yourself from them costs a fortune and very high insurance rates. Do not allow anyone the opportunity to make use of a weakness by buying a truck that can not pull legally your trailer.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 02-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Moderator hat on:

I know I am guilty too wrt my comment about the single rear tires, but the OP was asking How important is a dually so let us all try to get back on topic.

Thanks in advance.

Moderator hat off!

I may have stated this earlier, but I've towed with both. I feel the dually is more more stable.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #33

K-Star
I'm not sure to what degree you feel the topic went off course, but discussing the relative, if any, merits of super-singles as compared to dualies is IMHO exactly on topic in a thread entitled How important is a dually.

if we can't discuss the various rear axle tires combinations for towing trailers, the thread almost becomes limited to "very" and "not very" type answers ....
or: "dualies aren't the only option out there but i can't say any more on the matter"

i must be confused although i'm certainly used to the feeling
Old 02-11-2009, 06:25 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
i didn't believe the discussion of tires helped the original poster with his question of how important s dually is towing a 5er. I feel tires could better discussed in a separate topic. But if the general consensus is not the same as mine, then I will retract my comments.

2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
Old 02-11-2009, 06:54 AM   #35

ahhh K-Star, you're probably right,
I reread the OP's question again and it seems that at that early stage of the game of an RV'r it is maybe wiser to keep the conversation around dualies.
My thoughts dealt more with the ability to get a SRW over a DRW, not so much as just a tire post. I tend to think of my environment of hauling thru sand, mud, and offroad, where other axle options can be explored, .... but their OP didn't seem to be treading in that direction.

So,, when they are ready to tow up to the Alaskan HW via our sanddunes first and then a deep wooded glen next, or other highway/parking specialty driving considerations, .... then maybe we can rehash my ol' options, for a thread of good ol' fun.

but until then, the dualies are indeed a real winner, and K-star , you da man!

(SRW)Mike
Old 02-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mike

Thanks.

2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
Old 02-20-2009, 01:37 AM   #37
KHB

Send a message via Skype™ to KHB
Thanks so much for the discussion of the "Super Singles", which would seem to be the logical alternative to duallies. I *did* benefit a lot from it and see more than before that this is really not something we would want to invest in, since the Super Singles evidently require a lot of tweaking according to the weight being pulled. We would probably lose track of that and damage our $1K tires.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:13 AM   #38

In my opinion a dually is the only way to go. As K-Star stated they are much more stable in crosswinds or when a big truck passes you. There's much less side to side rocking, if any. We do a lot of camping in fields and I beleive a dually is sometimes better off then a SRW truck in the case of mud and wet grass. The extra tires help you to stay up on top and not cut through the sod. We've been in many situations where we were one of the very few that got out of a muddy spot, while SRW, 4-wheel drives were getting stuck. This might also depend a little on your driving techniques as well though.

2000 Freightliner Sportchassis - 300 CAT, 6 speed Alison
Shaun and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote