Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 10:36 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I checked out the Larado 330RL. That is exactly the trailers I am looking at. Very nice trailer BTW.

Great to hear it towed good. Were you able to tow it at 72 mph to keep up with traffic?
That’s a great floor plan. Similar to our wildcat maxx. I changed out the tires to good year endurance. Eased the fear of towing above 70 as the truck does it with ease.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 04:35 AM   #72

Thor Owners Club
I kept up with interstate traffic and passing semis had ver little effect.
Dar_n_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:22 AM   #73

I am wondering now that the longer trailers somehow are more stream line than shorter trailers.

What I am thinking:

Two examples of boats going thru water.

Kayaks - a 18' kayak is faster than a 16' is faster than a 14' is faster than a 12' is faster than a 10' kayak. Meaning the longer kayak goes thru the water better and easier.

Same thing for sailboats - a 45' sailboat typically is faster than a 40' sailboat is faster than a 35' sailboat. The longer sailboat goes thru the water better and easier.

Also I know short stubby cars do not get as good milage as a longer car because the engineers do not have enough car to work with to smooth out the air flow.

Semi's - yesterday twice driving a car I get on the entrance ramp and merged into the highway right next to a semi. Now I have 1/4 mile to zoom ahead or slowdown to merge into the zooming vehicles on I95 60 miles south of Jacksonville FL. I95 is really a big race track if you ask me. Merging onto I95 towing a long trailer would have been nearly impossible as the right lane was full of zooming semis and other traffic...ugh.

Texas has the fastest racetrack from Houston to Austin with a speed limit of 85mph I think. Nevada Nick also mentioned some crazy fast speed limits.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #74

What potentially makes a longer trailer tow better is the longer distance from coupler to the axle centerline. The further away the trailer COG is away from the hitch point the better off you are. Of course this comes at the expense of higher hitch weight.
Demiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #75

I can believe that as it makes sense.

Thanks for that response as I am feeling better about the ability of a F-250 to control the trailer.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I can believe that as it makes sense.

Thanks for that response as I am feeling better about the ability of a F-250 to control the trailer.
Its always the crosswinds that bother you.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:30 PM   #77

Lucky I will not be towing this trailer out west. This trailer will stay between Pennsylvania and North Carolina. At least that is what is planned.

Tags
tow, trailer, travel, travel trailer