Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey-KE7LBB View Post
That's a good looking truck for it's age I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat!!

Have you considered the thought of re-powering it with a Cummins after it dies? Plenty of places offer kits to do the conversion yourself or you can find a shop that could do it for you. The cost of a conversion isn't a whole lot more than a re-build and some power upgrades on the existing engine: Pump, injectors, turbo, intercooler... etc.

fordcummins.com - Increase Horsepower with Ford Cummins Diesel conversion kits

Destroked - THE Cummins Conversion Company : Home Page
I have to agree, it is a good looking truck for it's age and probably would not be bad to pick it up for hauling materials we will need to restore trailer Or to convert the old girl and use her as our hauler. I have no problem investing in a conversion, but I do have some issues paying the outrageous price for these new vehicles when I could keep it simple and convert And still have money in my pocket

Thank you for the links, I will be checking them out and weighing our options.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Spartan View Post
How do you feel about the F350 with a 460? Just curious.
Gas gulping hog.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Gas gulping hog.
That is what I have heard, hence the reason I decided to go diesel....or at least one of the reasons.

Thanks again, have a wonderful weekend!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #18

Thumbs up

I may have missed it and apoligize if that is the case, but have you said what you are pulling, beyond just a trailer? And where are you located, flat land, Rockies? Makes a difference to me.

I have an '85 F250 6.9 diesel automatic with just 125,000 all-in-the-family miles on it, and I agree that without turbos these aren't hotrods. But I've pulled about 7000# of hay around Wyoming and Colorado with it.

But a good friend had a 7.3 dually similar to the one you looked at, and he pulled a good sized 5th wheel with it in the mountains of Colorado and northern AZ. I don't think he made any modifications to it. It didn't pull as comfortably as my F350 PS dually, but it did the job for many years, until he died last year.

I don't have an opinion on the gas engine's power/longevity. I'd guess fuel costs would run higher than diesels, even with diesel going for 60 - 75 cents more per gallon.

I wonder how long that dually will be around at that price. Good hunting!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I may have missed it and apoligize if that is the case, but have you said what you are pulling, beyond just a trailer? And where are you located, flat land, Rockies? Makes a difference to me.

I have an '85 F250 6.9 diesel automatic with just 125,000 all-in-the-family miles on it, and I agree that without turbos these aren't hotrods. But I've pulled about 7000# of hay around Wyoming and Colorado with it.

But a good friend had a 7.3 dually similar to the one you looked at, and he pulled a good sized 5th wheel with it in the mountains of Colorado and northern AZ. I don't think he made any modifications to it. It didn't pull as comfortably as my F350 PS dually, but it did the job for many years, until he died last year.

I don't have an opinion on the gas engine's power/longevity. I'd guess fuel costs would run higher than diesels, even with diesel going for 60 - 75 cents more per gallon.

I wonder how long that dually will be around at that price. Good hunting!
No problem, I appreciate any input. We live in Arizona and most likely will be traveling around the country. The trailer we have is a 1977 Spartan, she is 33' in length.

I am going to crawl under it to see what the axle weights are this weekend so I am not sure of the weight at this time. I have looked everywhere on the outside and inside of the trailer and so far have not come up with anything.

We have also been considering purchasing an older Peterbuilt or Kenworth with a sleeper so we can fabricate a flat bed on it to haul our toad around as it may be difficult to take a semi tractor into certain areas while sightseeing. We are not set on this, but it was an avenue we have been visiting.

I don't really need to run up a hillside at 70MPH as we are not in any big hurry and we want to get there safe.

Here is a picture of the trailer
Old 01-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #20

Wow, I love that trailer, especially the jalousie type windows. The original Spartans, 1945 - 1961, had quite an interesting history. spartan [Tin Can Tourists Wiki]
I have no idea if your Spartan is related, but it sure looks cool.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #21

I'm having some serious doubts that my '08 5th wheel TH will EVER be in that good of shape after 41 years!!

Not to be rude, but the propane tanks could use a shot of paint...
Old 01-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Wow, I love that trailer, especially the jalousie type windows. The original Spartans, 1945 - 1961, had quite an interesting history. spartan [Tin Can Tourists Wiki]
I have no idea if your Spartan is related, but it sure looks cool.
Thanks, she is a looker, no doubt! She will be undergoing a total makeover, inside and out
Old 01-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey-KE7LBB View Post
I'm having some serious doubts that my '08 5th wheel TH will EVER be in that good of shape after 41 years!!

Not to be rude, but the propane tanks could use a shot of paint...
I highly doubt any newer RV will last as long as these older trailers will.

These tanks came with the trailer and are going to be replaced with high polished aluminum tanks during the restoration process
Old 02-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Spartan View Post
We have also been considering purchasing an older Peterbuilt or Kenworth with a sleeper so we can fabricate a flat bed on it to haul our toad around as it may be difficult to take a semi tractor into certain areas while sightseeing. We are not set on this, but it was an avenue we have been visiting.
Most used highway tractors will have about a million miles on them before they are turned out to pasture. Very expensive to fix and maintain.

Consider a smaller but long-wheelbase class 4 or 5 chassis cab truck instead. For example, a Ford F-450 or F-550 diesel chassis cab (not a pickup). Glancing back at the 2006 models, you could have ordered an F-550 chassis cab with a CA (cab to axle) of 120" or 10 feet. You could add a 12' flat bed or roll-off wrecker body, bolt on a proper hitch receiver, and be on your way.

The only problem with the F-550 solution is the 10' CA was available only with a regular cab. If you insist on a CrewCab, then the longest CA available was 7' with another 47.5" behind the axle for a total frame length of almost 11 feet. You can add a 12' flat bed to that chassis and still have 4.5 percent of the weight of the car on the truck's front axle. So you'd need a very short wheelbase toad and put the front bumper right against the cab when on the road.

The classic short-wheelbase car is the BMW Mini Cooper. 97.1" wheelbase, 27.2" front overhang, for a total of 124.3" front bumper to center of rear tire. So a 10' bed would not work for that car. You need at least 11' bed, and 12' would give you a little wiggle room. No, you don't want to back the car on because most of the weight of the car is on the front axle, and you're already back-heavy with only 84" CA.

Even shorter is the Mercedes-Benz Smart car. 73.5" wheelbase and only 106.1 (less than 9') total length. That puppy would fit nicely on a 10' bed. It's a nice little city car, but it ain't much of a car.

A Toyota Yaris - the smallest Toyota sold in the USA - is a hair longer than the Mini, with a wheelbase of 98.8". It should fit on an 11' bed also.

Honda Fit (small wagon) has wheelbase of 98.4 and length of 161.6. So a hair longer than the Yaris. It should work on the same bed as a Mini, but with less wiggle room.

Move up a notch in size, and my beloved 2010 Toy Corolla will fit on a 12' bed, but not on an 11' bed. It would be a wonderful toad. Wheelbase 102.4, overal length 179.3, and about 11.5' from front tip to center of rear tire. We've taken that Corolla on several trips of several hundred miles with no reason to need a bigger car.

If you can live with a regular cab for your tow vehicle, then a used roll-back wrecker might be your cup of tea. Much more preferable would be a brand new F-550 chassis cab with a flat bed to keep the cost down, or with a roll-back wrecker if you want the convenience of easy loading and unloading the toad, and you can afford to travel first class.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Most used highway tractors will have about a million miles on them before they are turned out to pasture. Very expensive to fix and maintain.

Consider a smaller but long-wheelbase class 4 or 5 chassis cab truck instead. For example, a Ford F-450 or F-550 diesel chassis cab (not a pickup). Glancing back at the 2006 models, you could have ordered an F-550 chassis cab with a CA (cab to axle) of 120" or 10 feet. You could add a 12' flat bed or roll-off wrecker body, bolt on a proper hitch receiver, and be on your way.

The only problem with the F-550 solution is the 10' CA was available only with a regular cab. If you insist on a CrewCab, then the longest CA available was 7' with another 47.5" behind the axle for a total frame length of almost 11 feet. You can add a 12' flat bed to that chassis and still have 4.5 percent of the weight of the car on the truck's front axle. So you'd need a very short wheelbase toad and put the front bumper right against the cab when on the road.

The classic short-wheelbase car is the BMW Mini Cooper. 97.1" wheelbase, 27.2" front overhang, for a total of 124.3" front bumper to center of rear tire. So a 10' bed would not work for that car. You need at least 11' bed, and 12' would give you a little wiggle room. No, you don't want to back the car on because most of the weight of the car is on the front axle, and you're already back-heavy with only 84" CA.

Even shorter is the Mercedes-Benz Smart car. 73.5" wheelbase and only 106.1 (less than 9') total length. That puppy would fit nicely on a 10' bed. It's a nice little city car, but it ain't much of a car.

A Toyota Yaris - the smallest Toyota sold in the USA - is a hair longer than the Mini, with a wheelbase of 98.8". It should fit on an 11' bed also.

Honda Fit (small wagon) has wheelbase of 98.4 and length of 161.6. So a hair longer than the Yaris. It should work on the same bed as a Mini, but with less wiggle room.

Move up a notch in size, and my beloved 2010 Toy Corolla will fit on a 12' bed, but not on an 11' bed. It would be a wonderful toad. Wheelbase 102.4, overal length 179.3, and about 11.5' from front tip to center of rear tire. We've taken that Corolla on several trips of several hundred miles with no reason to need a bigger car.

If you can live with a regular cab for your tow vehicle, then a used roll-back wrecker might be your cup of tea. Much more preferable would be a brand new F-550 chassis cab with a flat bed to keep the cost down, or with a roll-back wrecker if you want the convenience of easy loading and unloading the toad, and you can afford to travel first class.
Thanks for the ideas. I think we will still lean towards getting a tractor, we have been looking at conventional Peterbilt's, internationals and Freightliners that are a bit older, but still have allot of life left in them.

I have been meaning to check on the max vehicle length allowed on the road, but by the looks of some of these rigs with 5th wheels, we would be within limits.

I do appreciate the input
Old 02-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should have the turbo

Great engine with the turbo. Without it really lacks power. Have a 95 with turbo that has passed 725,000. No rebuild.

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote