RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #1

How many tow with a gas truck?

I am thinking about a new truck before I retire. I am leaning towards a gas powered 1 ton sb.
We will not be full time but are thinking we would like to do a few trips a year.
I know a diesel is better for towing but when we are not traveling the truck will be my daily driver. Thinking about maintenance cost of the diesel, more oil, fuel filter, DEF, and I know todayís diesels have been holding up good but omg if something does go wrong with the engine.
I would like to hear from those who are towing with gas trucks and what your experience has been

Stableduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stableduck View Post
I am thinking about a new truck before I retire. I am leaning towards a gas powered 1 ton sb.
We will not be full time but are thinking we would like to do a few trips a year.
I know a diesel is better for towing but when we are not traveling the truck will be my daily driver. Thinking about maintenance cost of the diesel, more oil, fuel filter, DEF, and I know todayís diesels have been holding up good but omg if something does go wrong with the engine.
I would like to hear from those who are towing with gas trucks and what your experience has been

I forgot to mention we would probably be towing around 27í trailer/ 5th wheel toy hauler

Old 01-12-2019, 08:47 PM   #3

No one ever complained about having more truck than they needed.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We had a 32ft Cougar we pulled with a gas Chevy 2500HD CC. Went with a gasser because it was DH's daily driver. It was a perfectly matched set. Towed it in the Applalachian mountains with no trouble.

I miss that truck. It had a Banks exhaust for that throaty growl & oversize tires. I think I liked driving it more than DH did.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010243.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	677.0 KB
ID:	231795  
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #5

I towed with a diesel truck and it was so powerful it made towing easy. I had the diesel truck 6.5 years trouble free. I bought it new.

I traded it in on a new gas truck. Maybe just me, but it is a relief not worrying about the diesel engine. I went from a diesel dually towing a 37' 5th wheel to a SRW 3/4 ton truck. I have not towed anything with it yet but as a vehicle it drives really nice.

Now, if you can wait 6 - 9 months the redesigned F-250/350 as well as a redesigned Ram and Chevy 2500/3500. Typically a redesign does mean a slightly better and more refined truck.

There are rumors that all trucks will have bigger gasoline engines. Chevy is more than a rumor. Their 2020 Chevy 2500/3500 will have a new 6.6 gasoline engine. It will have approx. 10% more power.

Ford is rumored to be working on a 7.x litre engine, same for Ram.

The North American Car Show is in a few days. Either the rumors will be confirmed or proven bogus.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:23 PM   #6

8.1L gas engine in my Topkick. 3rd gas truck. probably always stay gas.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
We tow with a gmc sierra 1500 gasser. Capacity with my setup and package is 9600 but i dont feel it really has the power I would like but it handles like a dream and will pull if I keep my foot buried. Other than that the fuel milage would be way better all around with a diesel.
1st-tt2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #8

My 2014 6.4 Hemi moves my 11,000# 5th wheel around just fine. Sure, a diesel would be faster but it's not as though I'm holding up traffic. As others have stated, it's only going to get better with the next generation of gas engines.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:00 AM   #9

I towed an older 33 foot trailer for over 85k miles with an F350 and a 460 engine. Never had any issues or lack of power.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:45 AM   #10

Ford gas truck

Our first truck was a Ford gasser that we towed our pop up with. We have owned two Ford F250. Never a problem towing our 8,ooo lb Classsic HiLo. Love the four door cab and 4x4. It does gulp gas where some sip gas. Love our gas hog.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:04 AM   #11

2018 HDDP w/ 3.5 ecoboost. It is Mary's daily driver and also pulls our 20' Toy Hauler effortlessly.

I've had two pre-def 3/4 ton diesels, and I prefer this truck.

My business partner has a def 3/4 ton diesel. I prefer the gasser we have now over it.

The diesel will get a bit better mpg towing, but not nearly as good when not towing. A bit over half the miles put on the truck are Not towing, so that combined with the higher cost per mile in fuel, def and extra maintenance costs, outweigh any better resale value the diesel may have down the road.
KM Rolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:31 AM   #12

I had a 2001 Dodge Dually with the V10 gas engine when we were pulling a Sunline trailer that weighed around 8K and it had plenty of power. As long as you keep your trailer weight within the capacity of the truck (I prefer to keep it at 80% or so), a gas truck is perfectly capable of doing the job. It may be a little slower in the mountains, but so what! One negative, depending on the size of the gas tank, is having less traveling range before needing to fill up. When we had a 2007 Tundra to pull our Winnebago Minnie, it was a great truck but the small gas tank was a PITA in terms of having to stop more often for gas. When shopping for a 1 ton truck, I would definitely be looking at the gas tank capacity or replacing the OEM tank with a larger aftermarket tank. I considered doing that with the Tundra but just didn't want to spend the $$.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM Rolling View Post
2018 HDDP w/ 3.5 ecoboost. It is Mary's daily driver and also pulls our 20' Toy Hauler effortlessly.

I've had two pre-def 3/4 ton diesels, and I prefer this truck.

My business partner has a def 3/4 ton diesel. I prefer the gasser we have now over it.

The diesel will get a bit better mpg towing, but not nearly as good when not towing. A bit over half the miles put on the truck are Not towing, so that combined with the higher cost per mile in fuel, def and extra maintenance costs, outweigh any better resale value the diesel may have down the road.

This is how Iím feeling. We might do 2 or3 trips a year. Iím not sure itís worth the extra $9000 for the diesel plus maintenance cost.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stableduck View Post
This is how Iím feeling. We might do 2 or3 trips a year. Iím not sure itís worth the extra $9000 for the diesel plus maintenance cost.
Well, sounds like you have come to the gasser conclusion. Now to match up your rig with the TV so you will have peace of mind in towing.

1st-tt2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tow