Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Actually, on my last 40 foot Road Warrior I was at or under ALL my trucks weights. My XLR is only over on GCWR by a bit. So your misinformed blanket statement that all large toyhaulers are over a SRW's weight ratings may make you feel safe and informed, it's actually wrong. But again, I'm sure you "don't care..."

Then. I guess my statement doesn't apply to you, have a great day. Yes, I don't care about your truck and liability, you are correct.

C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
Then. I guess my statement doesn't apply to you, have a great day. Yes, I don't care about your truck and liability, you are correct.
Remember that the next time you say "all."

I am confused though. If you don't care about what anyone thinks or does, why are on a forum? Just to pontificate?

Old 06-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
I am still amazed at the number of overloaded SRW's I see pulling Raptor's and similar rigs. I would say some day's 1 in 3 similar rigs will have a proper tow vehicle. Ignorance is bliss I guess. If the Highway Patrol is not pulling these people over, they will continue to tow unsafely.

The part I don't get is why anyone would chose to beat on their own truck that way. The drivetrain, tires and brakes take a huge beating when overloaded. I still enjoy watching overloaded SRWs flooring it up steep grades only to be seen on the shoulder before the top of the grade with the hood up. Happens a lot here in AZ
Is this why I see so many trailers and 5-ers on the side of I-17 north heading up to Sunset Point?
Old 06-30-2015, 10:57 AM   #32

How Much is Too Much?

Quote:
Remember that the next time you say "all."

I am confused though. If you don't care about what anyone thinks or does, why are on a forum? Just to pontificate?

Are you overweight or not? You're either towing illegally or you're not, it's quite that simple. Guess you're still confused.

By the way, I can still state my opinion without caring what you do. Pontificate that if you choose.

I don't fly my passenger overweight and I choose to not haul my family around overweight. I figured the regulations and tow ratings were established for a reason. But, maybe not, I'm sure they just made it all up for no reason.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:42 AM   #33

Quote:
Are you overweight or not? You're either towing illegally or you're not, it's quite that simple. Guess you're still confused.

By the way, I can still state my opinion without caring what you do. Pontificate that if you choose.

I don't fly my passenger overweight and I choose to not haul my family around overweight. I figured the regulations and tow ratings were established for a reason. But, maybe not, I'm sure they just made it all up for no reason.

I'm pretty sure I saw on the interweb somewhere that the SAE J2807 standards were created out of boredom and job security. Ol' SAE was just needing some additional funding or something.

On a related topic, I just received the latest issue of DIESEL POWER in the mail yesterday. Big article as to what changes are made to the Ford and Ram trucks in order for them to hit the big 15-ton towing capacity. Pretty cool article. They also did one awhile back on the J2807 standards as well. Also a fun article.

I may have stated this already, but I'm pretty content with my trailer being significantly under the max capability of the pickup. Safety considerations aside, like someone else said, why would you want to destroy your truck like that? The suspension/brakes/powertrain is the same on a Ram dually with 3.73 gears vs 4.10 gears, but the tow rating is roughly 6000# greater with the 4.10's. Surely there is a reason for that...

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 on order.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #34

How Much is Too Much?

I think any of the DRW trucks are more than capable of towing most of the 5th wheels. Personally, if I was towing overweight I'd definitely want four wheels in the rear vs. two. I'm not overweight and still prefer the DRW and until I towed with one I didn't realize how much better it is with a DRW truck. I was amazed on my latest trip at how little the transmission downshifted while towing. It only happened a few times with my 4.3 gearing, even in the mountains of East Tennessee.

Your DRV sure will be nice, they are absolutely beautiful.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #35

Why thank you sir, it can't come soon enough! Living in the old Wolf Pack 21WP120 is starting to get a bit... claustrophobic. Hopefully any day now. (Our timing was a bit off selling the stick house. Doh!)

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 on order.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp292 View Post
Is this why I see so many trailers and 5-ers on the side of I-17 north heading up to Sunset Point?
That is my thinking. I have rarely made the climb out of the valley without seeing this. They often pass me blowing coal and weaving in and out of traffic like a bat outta hell all while towing a f'ver or large TT. We bet on which ones we will find on the side up the road.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #37

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:

The only one that is confused is you as you are the one asking me questions. If only typing real slow could have the same effect as talking real slow, maybe you'd get it. Let's try it again. I am indeed over GCWR on my current setup. I was not on my last. So, no, your blanket statement that all big toyhaulers need a DRW to be within spec is NOT correct. There are many large haulers out there that are within a ALL of a SRW's ratings.

As to posting your thoughts expecting people to care what you say while not caring what anyone thinks... Well, that makes you a special kind of forumite and looses you any respect and credibility you MIGHT have had. But you don't care so I'm sure that's ok with you.

As for regulations, yes, many are completely fabricated while others are there for good reason. All have safety factor built into them to protect manufacturers from liability but that's another story. A few examples... A F250's ratings are COMPLETELY fabricated as it's the identical truck to a SRW 350. It has the same axles and yet they are rated 900# differently. How can that be? The rest of the truck is also the same and yet it's rated 1500# less. How can that be? Also a fabrication. How about in states like MD where can register your TV for any weight you want if you pay more money. I have a friend who registered his 250 there for a GVWR of 14k. What's that rating based on? What about a F350 derated on paper when ordered with the 10k package. Same truck but derated to be sold in a state with expensive registration based on GVWR. What's that rating based on? And, regulations on the road (which are only enforced in TX and CA) are based only on ratings which can clearly be based on NOTHING from time to time. The educated consumer has to know which are real and which are nonsense. No, they aren't all BS but they certainly aren't all real either. I'm under on my axle, tire, and truck GVWR with my current setup. In the case of an accident they only go by axle weight to determine if you're over and at fault because of it. So, completely safe there but thanks for "caring" about what would happen I ever encountered that situation.

Now, for the folks talking about guys going up hill, a SRW diesel has the same motor as a DRW diesel. If anyone's on the side of the road or having trouble with the grade, it's the age of the truck and has nothing to do with the amount of tires out back.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #38

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post

I may have stated this already, but I'm pretty content with my trailer being significantly under the max capability of the pickup. Safety considerations aside, like someone else said, why would you want to destroy your truck like that? The suspension/brakes/powertrain is the same on a Ram dually with 3.73 gears vs 4.10 gears, but the tow rating is roughly 6000# greater with the 4.10's. Surely there is a reason for that...

For me, I don't keep vehicles more than 5 years/60k or so so I really don't care how hard it's worked at that point. Excessive wear from heavy use causing problems would come MUCH later in life when someone else owns it. That said, with the torque the modern diesel puts out, you certainly aren't working it very hard either. With my 3:55's my truck RARELY downshifts at highway speed. The more torque you have, the less gear you need and with 800+ foot lbs, 4:30s are completely unnecessary and basically gaining you nothing while costing you mileage. They are really a better gear for a chassis cab, loaded heavy, running light to light in the city. That, or towing something much heavier than a sub 20k hauler.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:06 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
The only one that is confused is you as you are the one asking me questions. If only typing real slow could have the same effect as talking real slow, maybe you'd get it. Let's try it again. I am indeed over GCWR on my current setup. I was not on my last. So, no, your blanket statement that all big toyhaulers need a DRW to be within spec is NOT correct. There are many large haulers out there that are within a ALL of a SRW's ratings.

As to posting your thoughts expecting people to care what you say while not caring what anyone thinks... Well, that makes you a special kind of forumite and looses you any respect and credibility you MIGHT have had. But you don't care so I'm sure that's ok with you.

As for regulations, yes, many are completely fabricated while others are there for good reason. All have safety factor built into them to protect manufacturers from liability but that's another story. A few examples... A F250's ratings are COMPLETELY fabricated as it's the identical truck to a SRW 350. It has the same axles and yet they are rated 900# differently. How can that be? The rest of the truck is also the same and yet it's rated 1500# less. How can that be? Also a fabrication. How about in states like MD where can register your TV for any weight you want if you pay more money. I have a friend who registered his 250 there for a GVWR of 14k. What's that rating based on? What about a F350 derated on paper when ordered with the 10k package. Same truck but derated to be sold in a state with expensive registration based on GVWR. What's that rating based on? And, regulations on the road (which are only enforced in TX and CA) are based only on ratings which can clearly be based on NOTHING from time to time. The educated consumer has to know which are real and which are nonsense. No, they aren't all BS but they certainly aren't all real either. I'm under on my axle, tire, and truck GVWR with my current setup. In the case of an accident they only go by axle weight to determine if you're over and at fault because of it. So, completely safe there but thanks for "caring" about what would happen I ever encountered that situation.

Now, for the folks talking about guys going up hill, a SRW diesel has the same motor as a DRW diesel. If anyone's on the side of the road or having trouble with the grade, it's the age of the truck and has nothing to do with the amount of tires out back.
Very interesting arguments and rationale.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #40

They even allow DRW trucks in Massachusetts?😂😂 yes, I'm definitely a little slow but being from Tennessee and living in Texas I have a good excuse. I've still yet to find anyone retire in Massachusetts but Texas is growing like crazy.

Enough arguing, I'm definitely not smart enough to compete but I do have enough truck to tow my toy hauler with and not be overweight.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #41

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
They even allow DRW trucks in Massachusetts?���� yes, I'm definitely a little slow but being from Tennessee and living in Texas I have a good excuse. I've still yet to find anyone retire in Massachusetts but Texas is growing like crazy.

Enough arguing, I'm definitely not smart enough to compete but I do have enough truck to tow my toy hauler with and not be overweight.

MA is a horrible state in so many ways and if I didn't have family here and the wife's job, I'd be LONG gone. TX is a great state, albeit to hot for me. I'm a Scot and anything over 60 is hot to me. The wife served on a couple of bases in TX when she was in and said I'd melt day one. Funny you mention about DRW's in MA. We are actually penalized if we own one. In an effort to stop contractors from registering their work trucks as passenger to save on insurance, registration, and inspections, MA passed a law that any vehicle with more than 4 tires on the pavement at once must be registered commercial. So, the contractors that cheated just went to SRW trucks and RVers got the shaft. I have been in contact with a few state senators and reps who have written amendments to fix this but they never seem to pass. Why do I care you might ask? I may well want a DRW truck someday. Not because I feel my truck isn't up for the task in any way shape or form. However, as more states turn to writing tickets as a source of revenue generation (got to keep giving it away hand over fist... but I digress) I do think that private rigs will start getting checked in states other than TX and CA. In that case, I guess I may need to future proof my next truck. It will involve selling my plow as DRW's are NFG on that front and getting a fancy snowblower for my ATV or tractor. I guess that could be fun but it's so much easier to slap my plow on the truck in 30 seconds and do my 500 foot driveway in about 10 minutes. Either that or install my plow on a DRW and have the rear fenders all banged up from riding in the iced over snow bank on the corners.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #42

I was just kidding around so I'm clear and Massachusetts is a beautiful state. They all have their faults. Texas is HOT and I hate the humidity but my wife loves it here. I have a chance to move to Denver in a year or so which I would love but my wife doesn't want to move and my son starts high school this year and I have an 11 year old.

I have gotten used to my dually though I'll admit after the new wore off I wasn't sure I'd like it as a daily driver. There are drawbacks for sure but overall I really like it. We stayed a few nights in Hot Springs, AR a couple of weeks ago and the streets downtown were definitely not made for a dually. I was wider than the lanes which made me nervous at night.