Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #57
Dealer said he could! Might need some air bags though...

Alie & Jim 2009 CarriLite Max1
Volvo Dually Pickup
My keyboard is faster than yours
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #58
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Potential Darwin Award candidate.
Looking around our campground for the last week, I have to think Darwin is on vacation too.

smurfsofwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:29 AM   #59
I'll post more details later in another thread, but I had a "what if" occur yesterday.

Just purchased our DRV listed in the signature. We were all done, pdi complete, and I'm ready to leave the parking lot. We hooked up the truck to the fifth-wheel and started checking out the components. Everything was good until I did a rolling brake test. No trailer brakes. No emergency brakes. Turns out the brake fluid was empty. One of the brake lines on our 100,000+ dollar camper had come off. Technician said "wow, I'm glad you noticed that here instead of on the road. Most people don't even check that the trailer brakes work before they leave."

I'm not one that believes in "what if'ing" everything to death, otherwise we wouldn't leave the house for fear of a what-if occurring, I just thought I would share as it was relevant to this thread. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438176478.393975.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	101476

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 on order.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:12 AM   #60
Forest River Owners Club
I had something similar happen to me. I don't have electric over hydraulic but just standard electric drum. I also have the Tuson Sway Control option on my RV. It involves a second brake line back from the control box in the front back to the door side brakes. By having separate right and left control over the brakes, if it senses a sway condition it can pulse one side or the other to help straighten the rig. Well, when wiring it, the Scotch connector for the ground to the door side was never closed completely. So, I only had brakes on the ODS. Found this after towing 800 miles home from my dealer in OH and then 200 up to the coast of Maine on our maiden camping voyage. Didn't have the tools to trouble shoot until I got home so I figured that since I made it that far with three of six brakes working, I'd make it home. Next trip I was able to lower my brake controller from 10...LOL. The amazing part is it towed so well up until then, I never noticed. I guess having NO brakes would have been more obvious but I was amazed how well a 17k rig towed over 1500 miles with only one side of it's brakes working!

On a side note, how I noticed was this. I was on a site pitched down on the DS of the RV. To get level, the Level Up system pulled the DS tires just slightly off the ground. It was raining one day so I was bored. I though the one thing I never checked during PDI was my break away switch so I pulled it. I walked back to tires that were slightly off the ground and they still spun. At first I thought it was the switch so I hooked up to the truck and no brakes when applying the truck brakes either. That's when I knew I would have to dig a bit....
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #61
My what if brake story.
F350 DRW pulling a fully loaded 18k tri axle GN equipment trailer with electric brakes. The combo was plated at 27k gross combined.
The trucks brake pedal went to the floor as I was coming off the interstate on a down hill off ramp. I grabbed the manual controller and with three 7k axle braking brought the combo to a halt about 30 feet before the stop sign.
The trailer left some long black marks on the road.
I've heard some RV folks say their trailer brakes won't lock up even at max gain. I've owned over a dozen tandem and tri axle trailers from 16k to 22k GVWR. One of the first things I do before putting them in service with a used or new trailer is fix the brakes where they will lock up....when I want them to.

'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote