Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Very well said as well as somewhat misleading. "On paper" is a concern for some. For many others common sense dictates that if the trucks are physically 100% identical, they can handle the same load. Period. So, if your more concerned with stickers and pieces of paper then it's not for you. If you're more concerned with the actual capability of the truck, then you know that you can do the same with a 250 as a SRW 350.

Also, using the old 20% figure is grossly inaccurate blanket statement on what a pin will weigh. My GVWR is 21k and even it it was loaded to 21k, the pin would NEVER come close to the 4200# that the 20% rule comes up with. (It would actually stay under 3k#.) So, ignore (or at least take with a grain of salt...) those telling you to value a piece of paper or sticker over the physical build of a vehicle.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #16

I have a F250 diesel crew cab, and bought a fifth wheel that matched the capabilities of my truck. My mid weight fifth wheel trailer weighs 11K lbs. dry and has a kingpin weight of 2,050 lbs.--both dry weights. After adding my "stuff", it'll weigh marginally more.

While my engine would easily pull a full size fifth wheel or toyhauler, I'm realistic to know that my rear axle housing, axles within and differential are substantially weaker than the components of a dual rear wheel housing, differential and axles within. And the dual rear wheels just give so much better handling and braking in an emergency situation.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I have a F250 diesel crew cab, and bought a fifth wheel that matched the capabilities of my truck. My mid weight fifth wheel trailer weighs 11K lbs. dry and has a kingpin weight of 2,050 lbs.--both dry weights. After adding my "stuff", it'll weigh marginally more.

While my engine would easily pull a full size fifth wheel or toyhauler, I'm realistic to know that my rear axle housing, axles within and differential are substantially weaker than the components of a dual rear wheel housing, differential and axles within. And the dual rear wheels just give so much better handling and braking in an emergency situation.

Absolutely. A DRW is a completely different animal. The braking is actually done by the RV but I would agree that the handling would be improved if things went bad.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:46 AM   #18

Folks it's not can it tow it but can it carry it!

It makes me sick to see people towing MobileSuites with a SRW. Our 36SB3 we just traded had a pin of at least 5K!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Folks it's not can it tow it but can it carry it!

It makes me sick to see people towing MobileSuites with a SRW. Our 36SB3 we just traded had a pin of at least 5K!

Absolutely. Pin weight is the biggest limiting factor for SRW's. SRW trucks can take a bit over 3k pin based on configuration of the truck but anything over that and DRW is essential. The load capacity of SRW tires is 3500 each and I'd hate to go over that...
Old 06-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #20

I am still amazed at the number of overloaded SRW's I see pulling Raptor's and similar rigs. I would say some day's 1 in 3 similar rigs will have a proper tow vehicle. Ignorance is bliss I guess. If the Highway Patrol is not pulling these people over, they will continue to tow unsafely.

The part I don't get is why anyone would chose to beat on their own truck that way. The drivetrain, tires and brakes take a huge beating when overloaded. I still enjoy watching overloaded SRWs flooring it up steep grades only to be seen on the shoulder before the top of the grade with the hood up. Happens a lot here in AZ
Old 06-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #21

Taking a look from another angle. Any of the 250/2500 and up trucks with a diesel can "Tow" most any of these trailers these days. Even if it squats in the rear, air-bags can fix that.
Now, hook up any 250/2500, 350/3500 to any 5'er with a 4000 pin weight, find a nice straight road that's not busy, get the truck and trailer up to highway speeds and be honest- most weekenders and vacationers pull at 70+- so let's get rolling about 72-73mph staying in traffic.....
NOW do a panic stop-
Smash the brake pedal and put the truck into anti-lock, how's it feel?
Now let's suppose you have lost your trailer braking so get out and unhook the trailer.
Do your panic stop again.....
DO you have enough truck?
Can you stop comfortably in rush hour traffic when someone cuts you off and significantly decreases your braking distance?
Bigger trucks, more capable braking systems.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #22

But I saw the Toyota Tundra pull the space shuttle. Doesn't that mean it has a rating of 300,000 pounds?

http://www.lacarguy.com/green/articl...science-center

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 on order.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I love my "little" trailer. Seriously, I could not imagine having to deal with all that weight....
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #24

Any of the newer diesels have plenty of power to pull any of the 5th wheels on the market. But, anyone towing a triple axle toy hauler and most tandem axle toy haulers needs a DRW truck and I don't care what anyone else says, that's what it should be towed with. I've towed my 35 foot Fuzion 322TE with a 2011 F250 and with my current 2015 F450. If I'm going a few miles down the road, no big deal. If you plan on actually doing some traveling the SRW trucks are unsafe with the big toy haulers and the people pulling them with their F250's/2500's are unsafe and should be ticketed. I just got back from East Tennessee and hit areas on the interstate that jarred my F450 pretty bad and would have been terrible in my previous F250. I will say that the air ride hitch (TS3) makes a world of difference and takes a huge amount of the up and down forces off the truck and suspension. It works way better than adding air bags as far as smoothness and safety in my opinion.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
Any of the newer diesels have plenty of power to pull any of the 5th wheels on the market. But, anyone towing a triple axle toy hauler and most tandem axle toy haulers needs a DRW truck and I don't care what anyone else says, that's what it should be towed with. I've towed my 35 foot Fuzion 322TE with a 2011 F250 and with my current 2015 F450. If I'm going a few miles down the road, no big deal. If you plan on actually doing some traveling the SRW trucks are unsafe with the big toy haulers and the people pulling them with their F250's/2500's are unsafe and should be ticketed. I just got back from East Tennessee and hit areas on the interstate that jarred my F450 pretty bad and would have been terrible in my previous F250. I will say that the air ride hitch (TS3) makes a world of difference and takes a huge amount of the up and down forces off the truck and suspension. It works way better than adding air bags as far as smoothness and safety in my opinion.

Well guess what, as much as you don't care what anyone else says, I don't care what you say. Arrogance is just amazing with some people...

As to doing some "real traveling" I've got about 16k miles towing my last 16k Road Warrior and my current heavier XLR with my little SRW truck in the last three years. How many miles you have?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:20 PM   #26

I tow 20k with my dually. I have a 6k pin. I have air bags also. I am also looking hard at HDTs. Too much could go wrong and a ldt hauling this much weight is an accident waiting to happen. I likely take some slap for this but it is not comfortable towing this much weight.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #27

How Much is Too Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Well guess what, as much as you don't care what anyone else says, I don't care what you say. Arrogance is just amazing with some people...

As to doing some "real traveling" I've got about 16k miles towing my last 16k Road Warrior and my current heavier XLR with my little SRW truck in the last three years. How many miles you have?

Arrogant, I'm just stating a fact and personally being responsible for my actions. If you choose to tow a 5th wheel thousands of pounds over your trucks limit and one wheel per side supporting the weight then go for it. I could care less unless you hit me or my family and then you'd pay dearly and I doubt your insurance company would cover you.

Just because you've towed 16,000 miles without an incident doesn't mean it's legal or more importantly that it is safe. People drive impaired or distracted by texting daily and they don't have an accident. It's hardly safe and smart to do it and many people pay the price also. I have a wife and two kids and they are more important than the thousand or two price difference in a legal truck and an illegal one. I have no idea what your trailer weighs but you're the one that responded so I assume you're towing way overweight. If that's arrogance on my part then great, at least I'm smart enough to follow the rules and regulations. But, some people think they are above the law and don't care. Some just don't know any better and are new to trailer towing and RV's.

I believe a lot of people "think" they are towing fine and safe when they actually are clueless because they've never towed with a DRW truck. I've towed with both and like most everyone else that's done both, I'll never tow a large 5th wheel toy hauler with a SRW truck. By large, I mean one thousands of pounds over the trucks legal limit. For me personally, I hated being over the rear axle weight and only one wheel per side to support it and the thought of having a blowout. I also hit some dips in the road that scared me and that was the last time I towed with my F250. That's with a 35 foot tandem axle toy hauler with an empty weight of 11,800 pounds and not a lot of stuff in the trailer. I was still over my rear axle weight.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:49 AM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Actually, on my last 40 foot Road Warrior I was at or under ALL my trucks weights. My XLR is only over on GCWR by a bit. So your misinformed blanket statement that all large toyhaulers are over a SRW's weight ratings may make you feel safe and informed, it's actually wrong. But again, I'm sure you "don't care..."