Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #1

I have just started looking at replacing my Coleman popup with a TT. My tow vehicle is an '05 F150 extended cab 4X4 with the 5'5" bed, 5.4L engine, tow package, 7800gvw. I live in SW Colorado and will be towing it up into the mountains and down to Arizona, so don't want to be running at gross. How much trailer weight and length would be a good choice for this vehicle? I am looking at the KZ Spree 260RBS with a real empty weight of 5350lbs, and the Spree 245KS with empty weight of 4955lbs. Your advice, thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #2

I have just started looking at replacing my Coleman popup with a TT. My tow vehicle is an '05 F150 extended cab 4X4 with the 5'5" bed, 5.4L engine, tow package, 7800gvw. I live in SW Colorado and will be towing it up into the mountains and down to Arizona, so don't want to be running at gross. How much trailer weight and length would be a good choice for this vehicle? I am looking at the KZ Spree 260RBS with a real empty weight of 5350lbs, and the Spree 245KS with empty weight of 4955lbs. Your advice, thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-24-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
HERE is a link to the Ford Towing Guide.

It has detailed information on towing capacities.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
First of all, welcome to iRV2! We're glad to have you with us.

If you really want to know where you are in the real world, you'll need to know the laden curb weight (LCW) of your F150 with driver, passenger(s), pets, cargo, full fuel tank, etc. just as you'll hit the road. That will require a trip to the scales. With the LCW and the truck's GVWR and GCWR:

Truck's GCWR - Truck's LCW = Maximum total weight of laden trailer.

Truck's GVWR - Truck's LCW = Maximum pin or tongue weight of laden trailer.

For sizing purposes, a conservative approach is to use the trailer's GVWR for total laden weight and 20% (5th wheel) or 12% (conventional) of the trailer's GVWR for the laden pin or tongue weight.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:41 AM   #5

Thanks a lot, guys! Looking at the Ford chart on the above link, it appears I should be good. Would be wise to fill the water tanks once up over the passes, though. I will make some calls and try to figure out where a scales would be in our dinky community, might be hard to come by. Is there any way to estimate the LCW? Thanks again, will be working on it.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
CD

CO-Bikeman
IMHO I think a 1/2T PU will be disappointing and sometimes white knuckle experience for that much TT. My son-in-law has one similar to yours but a little older that they tow a horse trailer W/one or two horses that grosses less than the empty weight that you discribed. It shifts down on any kind of hill and they have had brake trouble (burned ). A 3/4T with a larger engine will do a much better job.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Two problems with "manufacturers' trailer towing ratings":

1. The trailer towing rating is typically computed by subtracting an artificially low curb weight of a base truck (no options or accessories) with only a 150 pound driver from the vehicle's GCWR. This is why obtaining a real world laden curb weight (LCW) is so important. Scales can typically be found at truck stops, grain elevators, landfills, gravel pits, etc.

2. The manufacturers' trailer tow ratings do not address the GVWR portion of the equation - the weight carried by the truck. Only in the fine print is a "gotcha" phrase found, such as "none of the vehicle's ratings are to be exceeded in a towing application."

Rusty
Old 03-25-2008, 05:18 AM   #8

So how much trailer should I be looking for with this half ton?
Old 03-25-2008, 05:50 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
See my post above - these two formulas will tell you how much trailer you can handle while remaining within your ratings:

Truck's GCWR - Truck's LCW = Maximum total weight of laden trailer.

Truck's GVWR - Truck's LCW = Maximum pin or tongue weight of laden trailer.

Rusty
Old 03-26-2008, 08:13 AM   #10

This weight calculator includes all the factors to accurately calculate what your tow vehicle will safely handle, or conversly, what tow vehicle is required to safely handle your present trailer.
You will note it uses only the trailer's GVW in the calculations, as the UVW is meaningless. It also offers you the option of selecting the 20% safety factor most full-timers follow.
Welcome to irv2.com and a great gathering of people. Please consider attending our national rally this July in Texas.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #11

Ray,
Thanks for the link. It is [/B] really straightforward.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #12

I have that truck with similar equipment. Mine is a Supercrew with 5.4, 3.73 gears and 275/65R18 Load Range C Goodyears. It has a trans temp and diff temp gauge. the truck weighs 6000 lbs with a full tank of gas and myself aboard. With kids, dog, wife and firewood I estimate I am up to 6600. My TT hitch weight is 660, and that brings me to 7260. So I am near but not over the truck GVWR. My TT is 4388 dry and 5900 GVWR. So I'm near my truck's GVWR but my combined weights of 13200 are 1300 lbs below my rated GCWR. I hope my values can help you make some intelligent choices. I found that using the max trailer will put you over the GCWR unless you have an empty truck.
In mountain country you may want to go lighter than me. I can tell you that my truck needs to go with overdrive off on any grade at all if the A/C is on. It never gets hot though and does not need to go below 3rd gear on highway trips unless there is traffic. I haven't broken any thing due to towing and I get usually 9.5 MPG if I go 60 and 9 if I go 65.
I'm probably not as serious a bicyclist as your signature suggests, but I do carry 4 when I go, 2 tweenagers plus us grownups. I use a bed rail rack that holds my bikes by their front forks.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Check I also have a 2005, 5.4, 3.73 gears, 4X2, supercrew with a 5'6" bed and my truck has a GCWR of 15,000 lbs.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #14

So I ended up buying and already did our first trip. Bought a Komfort 212T, empty weight of 4640lbs. We loaded it up with all our gear, no water and towed to Moab. Had a stiff crosswind all the way, at least 30-35mph. It handled really well, no sway whatsoever. Got 10mpg overall, plenty of power up over the passes, was able to maintain 60mph easily. I am pleased with the choice of size. It is easy to handle and plenty big for just a couple. Thanks for all the input from everyone, it helped me keep from buying something bigger.

Bikeman

Tags
kz-rv