Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #29
Newmar Owners Club

I am not skirting any issue. I believe I have more than fully explained how I have analyzed the issue to my satisfaction. You apparently have concluded that exceeding any of the limits posted by the manufacturer is ALWAYS unsafe. I disagree.

I am not advising anyone to do anything. I am simply saying that I have analyzed the issue to the point that I have concluded to my satisfaction that I and my wife are "safe" driving our truck/trailer combination, with the modifications I have made. I do not view this as stupid, ignorant, irresponsible, or anything of that kind.

I have, and always will, live my life and make my decision to the extent I can by DECIDING MYSELF what is best for me and those around me within the allowable limits of the law. As has been noted by more than just me, I am not breaking any laws in doing so. And NO ONE has explained in any meaningful way how my actions have in any way jeopardized the safety of me, my wife or anyone else. As Wingnut60 has noted - "I have yet to see a case cited where there have been charges brought against an RVer over being at fault in an accident due to running beyond the mfgs weight limits--anyone know of one?" Try Googling the "most common causes of motor vehicles accidents". I did a quick search and found nothing to indicate "over loading" was anywhere near a common cause of accidents.

I have not taken my combo over Mt. Hood, but the Siskiyous, the Sanitam Pass, and the mountains in Western Montana are similar enough for comparison. I have never felt the truck was being "pushed around" by the trailer. And as I believe I have noted, both the wife and I have noticed that we are MORE comfortable hauling the 14,000 pound Cypress than the 10,500 pound (loaded numbers) Wildcat. It may be because of the Moreryde supsension and shocks on the Cypress, whereas the Wildcat had neither of those items. Regardless, I am clueless where you and others are coming from with the trailer "pushing" the truck around. It may be that different trailers tow differently. I don't know. All I know is that I haven't experienced it with my set up.

I have explained my experiences for all to consider to the extent they wish to. You have similarly explained your experiences. I suggest we leave it at that.

Vulcangw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #30
Texas Boomers Club
If the OP is still following the thread I can help. I have a Dodge 2500 and a 5er of the same weight. I have a gross going down the road weight of 19200 lbs. So my 5er weighs about the same 12500 lbs. I have towed it to Pa from Texas and back and all over Texas, so it has seen high heat and mountains. She tows just fine and stops well too. It dont push me around on the curves in the hills either. Just put it in tow haul mode and set the cruise and it purrs down the road with no hunting by the tranny. I was just like you nervous as he$$ that I was border line towing close to the limits on paper. As I pulled out of the lot and onto the Interstate I had a big smile on my face. I worried for nothing. Now to get your truck to that point you do have to do a few things. First the only difference between your truck and a one ton is 2 leaf springs and E rated tires. That is it you got the same motor, tranny, rear end and frame. So I added a set of super springs to my truck. Do I need them, don't think so, but I have them just in case. Also make sure you get a set of E tires and air them up to 80 lbs. Next is get a real good proportional brake controller. The cheappie little Reese boxes don't cut it. I have a Prodigy and it sure makes life easier. So put your slide rule and calculator away and get on down the hwy.

2010 Dodge Ram Laramie Big Bertha
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
Dave and Jeannie with Chico & Princess Miss Bella
steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote