Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
GBL

hello, i am new to the world of 5ers! i currently own a chevrolet HD2500 duramax 4 door short box.

i spend 6-8 mths in the camper and travel acroos the country. i have been loking at the different sliding hitches and good grief i am getting dizzy.LOL

my first choise would be the pullrite superslide. as you all know the $$ difference is extreme. so my question is how often do you really use the slide?
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2004, 05:18 PM   #2
GBL

hello, i am new to the world of 5ers! i currently own a chevrolet HD2500 duramax 4 door short box.

i spend 6-8 mths in the camper and travel acroos the country. i have been loking at the different sliding hitches and good grief i am getting dizzy.LOL

my first choise would be the pullrite superslide. as you all know the $$ difference is extreme. so my question is how often do you really use the slide?
Old 09-21-2004, 05:39 AM   #3
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
GBL,
We have a Dodge 3500 shortbox which has a B&W turnover ball hitch with the companion 5th wheel hitch which does not slide. We pull an Everest by Keystone that has an extended pin box. We have had the rig for almost a year and not had any problems turning or parking it. Each set up is different of course but just thought would let you know that we are towing without a sliding hitch with no apparent problems.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:16 AM   #4

lots. I have hit the cab 2 times. 1st time hitch failed.2nd my fault, so now I slide.
I have heard the Pull-rite is great execpt you have to be almost straight to hoock up. I am hooking up a lot at 45 degrees or more.
Jay
Old 09-22-2004, 01:15 PM   #5

I have had my slider hitch for 4 years now, and only felt I had to use it just one time (so far). Sure was glad I had it when it was needed.

Grandpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:20 PM   #6

well i have had many units and lotts of short beds and i would not have one of those loose rattely sliders.i have never needed one ,----most all the units today have extended boxes and its not a problem-------if you think about it on a tow trailer there is way more of a chanse hitting the truck and trailer long before a fiver would hit and i have never hit any of my tow trailers either-------now the oldlady smashed in both sides of my suburan with my small utillity trailer in one quick outting -----so some people just dont watch and set up corectly on the way in.-------- you realy need a fixed air ride hitch and things become so comfy !!
02 chevy 2500hd 4x4 d/a crew cab sb srw,20k easy rider air ride hitch,air lift bags with compressor for bags and hitch,edge ez juce box and hyperchip,jena my girlfriend a 140 lbs french mastiff and a 175 lbs english mastiff. living in an 02 40' trip
kelstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:24 PM   #7

Haven't used it at all this year. Usually never more than once or twice a year. I also have the 12" extended pin box and not the long one.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:12 PM   #8
GBL

thanks folks, i was really leaning to the pullrite but think i am going to go less $ for now but will have a slide. guess i had rather pay a little extra for a slide than two deductibles for hitting the cab. i may never use it but it would be a pain in the truck if i needed it and didnt have it. thanks again
Old 12-14-2004, 05:31 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
kelstr - hate to open an older thread, but am wondering about the loose slider comment. I hadn't heard this before - can you (or anyone) comment on this. is it 'really' a problem or what?
Old 12-15-2004, 06:42 AM   #10

traveldawg

Hi!! I have the Husky,16k slider. The only noise I ever hear is when (and not recommended), I go to the dump at Quatrzite. About two miles from where I camp. I just leave it in the rear position. With the slider in the rear position the rig seems to porpoise some, because the pin is now 10" behind the rear wheels.
As for using the slider. I use it all the time. Every time in and out of the driveway,every time parking in a rv park, unless there is a real roomy drive through. My trailer didn't come with the extended pin as a lot of them don't. It's not so much the turning, as it is the turning into or out of a dip in the road. (drive way etc.) It gets real ugly then.
I'm about to order another truck and it will definitely be a 350srw, long bed.
Hope This Helps
Billy M

Billy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 08:08 PM   #11

We rarely use the slide. Our rig has an extended pin box, so clearance isn't a problem. Occasionally I slide it back to gain a little better backing/maneuvering geometry. Because the 'pivot point' moves off the top of the axle you get slightly better response to steering input.
BlackSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GBL.
Welcome aboard. Do you need a slider?

You may be able to check the web site(s) for the various hitches you are considering and obtain information for each. In the case of my non-slider Reese I was able to download a PDF that included detailed information that may be applicable to all non-sliders.

Such as: WARNING do not install or attempt to pull a trailer with this hitch in a pick-up with a bed shorter that 6 feet. You did not mention the length of your short bed but if it is 6' or longer a slider may not be necessary, of course check the details for the make and model you choose, but I believe most are installed so that the king pin centered over the rear axel and measurements are measurements.

Another thought: Measure the width of the nose of your trailer, divide it by 2 and add 6 inches. (The 6 inches is cushion for uneven ground situations and/or if the installation is slightly forward of center axel) then measure the distance between a point in the bed of your truck centered over the rear axel to the center of the back of the cab. If that measurement is the same as or longer your good to go, if not you'll need a slider or an **extender.

For example: The width of your trailer is 8'devided by 2+6"= 4'6". If the distance between center axel to back of the cab is 4'6" or greater good, 4'5" or less install a slider ... and disengage it prior to making sharp turns. Someone with more knowledge of sliders may be able to help out here, but I believe they make some that disengage automatically. Seems to me that would be worth considering, forget to disengage just once and you buy a new end cap, maybe bed, for the trailer and rear window, maybe rear seat, for the truck.

**Two more cents: I think most 5ers today come with king pin extensions factory installed. Prior to installing an aftermarket I would check with your trailer manufacture, a 10" / 12'folcrum added to the hitch weight may stress your trailer's design. I may be out of the box on this, but trailer sway and / or sheared bolts at 65 mph, 500 miles from home have a way of ruining a perfectly nice trip.

Keep us posted on how everything works out, I'm sure what you learn will be beneficial to other members and that's what IRV2.Com is all about.

Have a Happy, Mike
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:10 AM   #13

Keep in mind that an extended pin box does not eliminate the possibility of hitting the cab in a 90? jacknife. See drawing at http://www.klenger.net/arctic-fox/short-5er-towing.pdf for examples.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:26 PM   #14

I have a s/b ford and need the slide hitch, not so much for cab clearance when turning but clearing the rear bumper from the trailer on off camber turns. the chevy bed is shorter than my vehicles but I still recommend the sliding hitch. you won't be sorry for getting it but you probably will be sorry if you didn't.

Flatbroke is offline   Reply With Quote