Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #15

Wow, first I appreciate everyone's advice and there was much of it! I think with all this I have been given enough information to make an informed decision and again, much appreciated. Although I think my truck could actually pull the trailer I would not feel safe with my wife and little ones in it with me, plus I am in the military and money is tight so I would not want to put the extra strain on my current truck. I don't think I will go for a 1ton truck, but the right 3/4 ton for the right amount of money may do the trick. I will most definitely keep all if this in the back of my mind as I search out a new (used) tow vehicle!!! Hooah! Thanks again guy!!!! v/r

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #16

My husband and I bought our first travel trailer last summer. We had a F150 Ecoboost, and when we looked at the towing capacity (11,200 with the max tow package) compared to the trailer weight, we believed we were safely within the ratings. We drove to the Black Hills, and we had nothing but trouble with the winds. My husband called the hitch manufacturer, and he tweaked the weight distribution hitch on the next few weekend camping trips. However, he never felt like things were really "right". We kept working the numbers, and we couldn't figure out what was wrong. So my husband finally took the truck down to the local grain elevator to get weighed. With two adults, one five year old, two large dogs, a full tank of gas, a few basic tools, and the trailer hitch weight, we were only 30 pounds below the payload rating.

Ultimately, we decided that the liability we would experience if we ended up in an accident while driving that truck was unacceptable, so we bit the bullet. We bought a new F350 SRW diesel. We drove the truck and trailer to Texas over Christmas break (2,600 miles). We drove on icy roads in Iowa and snow in Missouri and Kansas, and my husband felt 1000 times safer than in his old ecoboost.

The right sized truck for the job makes a world of difference. I was ready to check out on my husband every time he started talking about payload, tow ratings, GVWR, and GCWR, but it was worth the pain to find a vehicle that we don't have to fight with to get it to tow safely. We'll tow the trailer 7,000 miles this year, and the new truck is worth every penny.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #17

Great comment, what size trailer were you pulling and was it a 5th wheel? I appreciate the comment!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #18

I said that a 5th wheel was safer then a TT. Unless I have over 20% tongue weight on a ball hithed trailer I will not tow it. To many close calls. And above the truck weight for the same type of trailer I don't hitch. But 5th wheel is much different the trailer actually help to stabilize the truck. The truck becomes the front steering wheels of the unit. TTs are swong to the opposite direction every time the truck does a steering correction.

I loaded 1.5 cords of hardwood on my tandom trailer(ball hitch) and 1/2 cord in the truck and drove 25 miles in the fall for 7 years with a 1/4 ton Ranger and never hurt the truck any, but I would not have done it without a load in the truck. Actualy due to lighter truck the Ranger could carry as well as a F150 at the time. And it did more hard work then the next 3/4 tons I ever owned after.
There has to be a balance between truck and trailer and think that a 4200lbs truck can safely pull an 11200 lbs trailer with 10% tongue weight. Now 4200 + 1120 = 5320lbs compared to 11200 -1120= 10080lbs. And taking even more weigh of the rear wheels with a load distribution hitch scares me. I would never attempt it. But take 4200 + 1700 = 5900lbs. 11200 less 1700lbs = 9500lbs on trailer. As a 5th wheel setup can be very stable.
TTs are meant to be pulled carefully, occasionaly and driven with care. 5th are the real thing and are set to be stable. The 2 types cannot be compared. My experience has shone me the difference and unless there's a balance nothing will tow as well s a 5th wheel. And unless the truck is heavy the TTs will be constant of the seat of the pants experience.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
My experience has shone me the difference and unless there's a balance nothing will tow as well s a 5th wheel.
Then you don't have experience towing a TT with a properly installed and adjusted no-sway hitch such as a Hensley Arrow or ProPride.

With the truck not overloaded over the GVWR of the truck, then with the same truck, I can tow either a 5er or a TT that weighs the same, with virtually no difference in towing capability. Not true with a cheap TT hitch that costs less than $1,000, but true with a Hensley Arrow or ProPride, which cost over $2,000.

Quote:
Unless I have over 20% tongue weight on a ball hithed trailer I will not tow it.
Nonsense. I put over 5,000 miles on my TT during 2012, with a wet and loaded hitch weight of 13% to 14%. Mountains, valleys, plains, and the Texas Hill country, including lots of windy days in west Texas. Usually towing at 62 MPH on cruise control. Steady as a rock, with never a bobble.

I agree that 10% is not enough hitch weight, but there are very few TTs that will have wet and loaded hitch weight of only 10%. Almost all have 12% to 15%. But you don't need more than 12% to 15% if your WD hitch is set up properly.

Before I bought my current pickup and RV trailer, I had an F-250 diesel and a Keystone Sprinter fifth wheel RV trailer. I put over 100,000 miles on that trailer in 11 years, so I have plenty of experience towing a 5er too. My current TT tows just as good as that 5er.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #20

I enjoy driving my '99 f350 drw cc 4.30 gearing v10. It tows my 30' 5ver very well. I wouldn't want to downgrade to a f150 srw because i know firsthand what towing with a light tv is like.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A properly set up travel trailer with a properly set weight distributing hitch with sway control will tow about as well as a 5er. The trick is to have the right truck and setting up the hitch correctly. We towed two different travel trailers with a Reese Dual Cam Straightline hitch for many miles in all sorts of conditions and never a problem.

Ken
Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #22

I've pulled in a crosswind that I watched 5ers battle hard(Pendleton OR, Idaho), I've pulled our 30 ft TT Terry Quantun 300BHS from Alaska to Upstate NY and Back, then back again! 9 years she's been behind the Duramax, pulls tue and NEVER had her wobble(my bad, I sometimes run 75-80....
I've pulled 5er stock trailers that suck...........
But the TT is going away, as we are awaiting the delivery of our first MH
Old 02-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #23

You never was driven in the dictch at 40 MPH. I did when i drove the loaded trailer on the shoulder to stop and check the load but came of the pavement on to a soft shoulder and the right wheels dragged hard enough to shift the rear wheels of my unloaded truck in the ditch and I could only keep it straight driving it in the ditch. My lesson learned early in life. My friend had a 30ft light TT and a gust of wind came as he was turning and the unit tipped in the middle of the road. Lucky he had a 2500 GM it did no tip with the unit. Those light trailers I wouldn't haul neither. Weight distribution hitch removes tear wheel load and stabilize by adding more weight to the front tires and trailer.