Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #1

How to fine tune Reese dual cam?

We have just purchased a new TT, Reese dual cam WDH along with an '09 F250. The TT UVW is 5,237 lbs and hitch weight is 518 lbs. Have not had it into a scale yet. I'm not quite sure how to fine tune and adjust the adustments. The truck has new Bilsteins on it. Have the bars adjusted currently so that there is no change in the front height after the hitch is hooked up and bars tensioned.

Have not got the dual cam parts installed yet and we went for a 30 min. drive to our seasonal cg on the weekend. There seems to be a lot of vertical movement in the rear of the trailer. Cutlery bounced out of the tray and something we put in the sink got damaged (have rear kitchen). Is this more a case of how the TT is sprung or are the Reese bars over or undersized? We have 800 lb bars.

Have not yet been able (in my short time looking) to find out how to determine the bar size that you should have. I had initially thought that you should get bars that are heavy enough to handle your tongue weight. Although the truck does not bounce much, I can see the rear of the TT bounce in the mirrors.

The tongue of the TT was a little high when connected to our truck so I have dropped the ball by one hole on the shank. Not sure if this will make any difference in bounce or adjustment of the hitch?

I have not been able to find out what angle the trunnion bars should be at and how many chain links should be hanging down. All I have to go on so far is the bar angle that I can see on the internet in pictures or video. Does this actually matter that much and does it affect performance in any way?

Also, am wondering what oil to put in the hole at the end of the bar? I have seen a reference to gear oil.

FWIW, I have found a bit more (and better) info. in an etrailer video than in Reese's installation info. And, I was disappointed to discover that parts are made in China when I thought they were made in the US.

Thanks for any comments!

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1. Get the dual cams installed and working.

2. Be sure the trailer is level front to rear before you hook up to the tow vehicle.

3. Adjust the hitch so the top of the ball is about 2" higher than the top of the coupler before you hook up to the tow vehicle. IOW, the tongue should be about 2" higher than level before the weight of the tongue goes onto the ball. The tongue weight should then push the connection down so the trailer winds up level again after you connect the coupler and hook up the spring bars. (Depending on the truck suspension, you may need to use something different than 2" to work out to a level trailer when hooked up.

4. When properly adjusted and connected, the spring bars should be parallel to the A-frame of the tongue, which should be parallel to the ground when the trailer is level front to rear. That probably requires using the center link in the 9-link chain

5. If you are not distributing about 25% of the tongue weight to the trailer axles, and about 25% to the front axle of the TV, then you need to mess with the angle of the ball mount where it bolts onto the shank. That requires removing the ball mount, disassembling the ball mount from the shank, then putting them back together at a slightly different angle (maybe only one notch different on the adjustable ball mount).

6. Using a 15" lift bar (I use a 15" length of 3/4" pipe), there should be no great strain for an adult male to tighten the chains up to the proper tension so the spring bars are parallel to the ground and the A-Frame of the hitch.

7. I hope your spring bars are rated for 800 pounds tongue weight. It doesn't really matter what the spring bar rating for gross trailer weight is, but the tongue weight rating matters. The Reese Strait-Line dual cam WD hitch I see for sale today is rated 800 pounds tongue weight, 10,000 pounds gross trailer weight. So ignore that gross trailer weight rating and go by the tongue weight rating.

8. If your spring bars are rated for 1000 or 1200 pounds tongue weight, you need to order new spring bars rated for 800 pounds tongue weight.
Here are the ones if your spring bars are trunion style and not round bar style:
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...e/RP22225.html

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #3

Thanks Smokey. We do have the 800 lb bars so okay there. Got it all installed and hooked up today and now I need to get to a truck scale. I also need to find a flat parking lot somewhere to check the before and after heights of the front and rear of the truck.

I think I have the bars a little too parallel to the frame but will have to see when I get it out for a road check. I may have to tilt the bars down a bit. I have the snap up bracket hooked on the 4th link at the moment.

Unfortunately I had to move the propane tanks forward and will have to get a soft tank cover because the front of the cover conflicts with the electric tongue jack.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

On mine, I had to move the tongue jack back a couple of inches so the pickup's tailgate could be laid down flat without hitting the tongue jack. That required welding in a new support for the jack. And to do that plus install the hitch on the trailer frame I had to move the propane tanks back towards the back of the A-frame, which required even more welding. It's certainly good to know I have a good welding shop nearby that can take care of those nit-noid cutting and welding jobs for me.