Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
How to remedy travel trailer porpoising??

I am pulling about 8,000 pounds with my GMC hd2500 gas truck. From day one, it porpoised pretty badly. So, after doing a lot of internet research, I opted tomspend $400 for air lift air bags. It helped, but now it feels bouncy with 30 psi, and is back to porpoising bad under 25 psi...ugh!!!

A guy at a camp ground said I need to tighten the chains on the wd hitch. The dealer set it up so that the bars are parallel with the bottom of the trailer frame, but they are set on the very last link of the chains. Everything looks pretty level when hitched up, so I am afriad the tighten up the chains....

Help? I had a fifth wheel and this my very first experience with a travel trailer...

2014 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Hemi, 3.92, 4x4
2013 Forrest River Flagstaff, V Lite 30', 7300#
Zogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Forest River Owners Club
I have a 5000lb TT that I pull with a 03 Chev 2500 Gas. I had the same problem. I moved to the next link on the WD hitch and that seems to have helped quite a bit.

2003 Chevrolet 2500 4X4 6.0L 34000kms
2014 Rockwood Roo 23rs
mase-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
I will give it a try...thanks
Old 06-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Having the chains level means nothing.
They need to be set so the the trailer, truck, and all are level.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check to see that you have at least 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue. Next, do a complete set up on the hitch. Adjust the hitch head angle if necessary.

You may also need to install stiffer shocks on the truck.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
I was able to adjust the chains by tightening up one more link. It sure made the ride a lot better....minimal porpoising now. When I go over a bigger bump it begins to porpoise but settles down quickly...

I did measure the truck fender height at the top of the wheel well both unloaded and hitched up....based on what I have read, I think it is dialed in pretty well

Front unloaded 39 7/8" Hitched 39 3/4"

Rear unloaded 41 3/4" Hitched 40 1/2"
Old 06-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
FEnder height meaurements are a rough-in. Not consistent; error-prone.

A few passes across a CAT Scale will nail down the numbers needed. Do all three on the same day.

1] TV, solo, but loaded as if for a trip

2] TV and TT hitched, WD not applied

3] TV and TT hitched, but WD applied

Some pics of rig in profile (taken on level ground; on the scale would be good) and closer up of hitch itself with WD applied would also be good.

Hitch rigging is formulaic for the most part, and getting a good baseline is what allows one to get the feel of the rig when it is right. One is trying to have the TV front axle weight the same in both #1 and #3.

90% of rigs are not up to this minimum . . so the little bit of effort to do it right and occasionally check it with altered loads, are what separate the men and the boys.

Restoring the Front Axle Load is whata 5'er hitch does as well, and the lack in setting a WDH as it should be is much of what leads to the myth that a 5'er is "more stable". It isnt (for many reasons) so being strict is the key. A couple hundred pounds genuinely matters.

Makes it MUCH easier to sort out other problems with the rig, real or imagined once set. Tire wear, steering response and improved braking by the combined rig are what are at stake.

2004 2WD Dodge 305/555 CTD 6-speed
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling
Hensley Arrow + adjustable tilt head
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote