Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2017, 06:39 AM   #1
SCP

How to Tow a 30' Arctic Fox++

My DW and I our moving up from a 16' Scamp to a 30' Arctic Fox by Northwood. It has a dry weight of 6,853 pounds and a GVWR of 10,000 pounds. We expect travel about 100 days per year, so we might pull the trailer only about 30 days out of the year, as we would be camped maybe 2/3 of the 100 days. Also, we have a 60 lb. dog that will ride with us, she is just a little smaller than your typical lab. Of course I want the trailer to tow well but I also want some comfort and decent mileage for general use. We are going to get 2WD. Also, I know for sure I want Navigation, back up camera, front bumper warning sensors and other safety features. I am 69 and quite capable of scraping or bumping when manuervering so the sensors and such are important.

Should I consider diesel or gas?

What brands are best?

What cab configuration works well for our dog who will ride in the back seat area?

Is leather seating out of the question with the dog? Can the rear seats be lifted up and the dog ride comfortably on the floor?

Your answers will be much appreciated, thanks for reading.
SCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2017, 07:14 AM   #2
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP View Post
My DW and I our moving up from a 16' Scamp to a 30' Arctic Fox by Northwood. It has a dry weight of 6,853 pounds and a GVWR of 10,000 pounds. We expect travel about 100 days per year, so we might pull the trailer only about 30 days out of the year, as we would be camped maybe 2/3 of the 100 days. Also, we have a 60 lb. dog that will ride with us, she is just a little smaller than your typical lab. Of course I want the trailer to tow well but I also want some comfort and decent mileage for general use. We are going to get 2WD. Also, I know for sure I want Navigation, back up camera, front bumper warning sensors and other safety features. I am 69 and quite capable of scraping or bumping when manuervering so the sensors and such are important.

Should I consider diesel or gas?

What brands are best?

What cab configuration works well for our dog who will ride in the back seat area?

Is leather seating out of the question with the dog? Can the rear seats be lifted up and the dog ride comfortably on the floor?

Your answers will be much appreciated, thanks for reading.
Congrats on new purchase. We have had Northwood products in the past, you will be pleased I'm sure. As far as a new truck is concerned I have only experience with the Ram Cummins combination and wouldn't tow without this truck. Diesel is only way to go, 10 to 12 MPG normally even in the mountains, headwinds aren't a problem either. Our truck is a 4 door model with the Laramie package with all the bells and whistles. When towing even under load truck inside is very quiet. Love the leather, easy to clean up. With our truck you can lift seats and fold down the floor to make it level, we use a fabric crate for the dog which keeps the dog hair down abit. Also use a sheet to cover up carpet as is hard to get dog hair out of carpet. As far as brands go they all seem to be good these days so pick the one you like.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:18 AM   #3

JMO here but I'd get one of the new Chevy Duramax diesels. They kicking butt in recent tests. I'd go 3/4 ton for a TT. Drive all 3.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #4

>"Should I consider diesel or gas?"

Diesel for sure... (1 ton single rear wheels for your trailer.)

>"I want the trailer to tow well but I also want some comfort and decent mileage for general use. "

You will likely get 12-14 mpg.

>"What brands are best? "

Heh... RAM/Chevy/Ford !!! Lots of people have different opinions !
I currently have a RAM 2500 with Cummins Diesel.
Works fine for pulling a trailer much like yours...
had it do do over again... would pick a 1 ton.

>"What cab configuration works well for our dog who will ride in the back seat area?"

We have 2 dogs. One a big Chesapeake (older dog) and 1 a 'Cowdog'.
The Chesapeake rides on the floor behind the passenger (on a blanket), the cowdog rides most anywhere on the back seat.
4 Door crew-cab... or a 'mega-cab' will do fine from all the mfg's..

>"Is leather seating out of the question with the dog?
Can the rear seats be lifted up and the dog ride comfortably on the floor? "

Rear seats usually fold 'down' to make a platform higher off the floor.
Chesapeake can't jump high enough anymore to make the higher platform.

Either conventional/leather... get a 'seat blanket' for the dog.
You can get a conventional seat cover... or one that reaches across to the front seats.

Here's a 'generic' photo from Amazon.

Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #5

I had a 30U tongue weight was a killer 1100 lbs
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Another plus for 3500 diesel. Our last trailer was a front kitchen Dutchmen Denali. Tongue weight on the scale was 1400 lb plus all the stuff we had until the cap.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #7
SCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRT View Post
Another plus for 3500 diesel. Our last trailer was a front kitchen Dutchmen Denali. Tongue weight on the scale was 1400 lb plus all the stuff we had until the cap.
My tongue weight is 760 Lbs.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
SCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRT View Post
Congrats on new purchase. We have had Northwood products in the past, you will be pleased I'm sure. As far as a new truck is concerned I have only experience with the Ram Cummins combination and wouldn't tow without this truck. Diesel is only way to go, 10 to 12 MPG normally even in the mountains, headwinds aren't a problem either. Our truck is a 4 door model with the Laramie package with all the bells and whistles. When towing even under load truck inside is very quiet. Love the leather, easy to clean up. With our truck you can lift seats and fold down the floor to make it level, we use a fabric crate for the dog which keeps the dog hair down abit. Also use a sheet to cover up carpet as is hard to get dog hair out of carpet. As far as brands go they all seem to be good these days so pick the one you like.
Thanks for the pointers and the great photo of your happy dog.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
SCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post
>"Should I consider diesel or gas?"

Diesel for sure... (1 ton single rear wheels for your trailer.)

>"I want the trailer to tow well but I also want some comfort and decent mileage for general use. "

You will likely get 12-14 mpg.

>"What brands are best? "

Heh... RAM/Chevy/Ford !!! Lots of people have different opinions !
I currently have a RAM 2500 with Cummins Diesel.
Works fine for pulling a trailer much like yours...
had it do do over again... would pick a 1 ton.

>"What cab configuration works well for our dog who will ride in the back seat area?"

We have 2 dogs. One a big Chesapeake (older dog) and 1 a 'Cowdog'.
The Chesapeake rides on the floor behind the passenger (on a blanket), the cowdog rides most anywhere on the back seat.
4 Door crew-cab... or a 'mega-cab' will do fine from all the mfg's..

>"Is leather seating out of the question with the dog?
Can the rear seats be lifted up and the dog ride comfortably on the floor? "

Rear seats usually fold 'down' to make a platform higher off the floor.
Chesapeake can't jump high enough anymore to make the higher platform.

Either conventional/leather... get a 'seat blanket' for the dog.
You can get a conventional seat cover... or one that reaches across to the front seats.

Here's a 'generic' photo from Amazon.

Thanks for the pointers and what a nice looking dog.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #10
SCP

[QUOTE=PRT;3591748]Another plus for 3500 diesel. Our last trailer was a front kitchen Dutchmen Denali. Tongue weight on the scale was 1400 lb plus all the stuff we had until the cap.[/QUOTE Our tongue weight is 760 pounds.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #11
SCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
JMO here but I'd get one of the new Chevy Duramax diesels. They kicking butt in recent tests. I'd go 3/4 ton for a TT. Drive all 3.
May have to buy a used truck as budget agreed to with my wife is $41,000. Also I will mostly use this truck as basic transportation. What kind of mileage would I get when not towing?
Old 05-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
May have to buy a used truck as budget agreed to with my wife is $41,000. Also I will mostly use this truck as basic transportation. What kind of mileage would I get when not towing?
Out of the Big 3 diesels, the Ram will come in the cheapest as far as going new. For awhile now, here in OH. I have seen the Sunday auto section advertising 3500 Ram diesel's for $43k-45k...Not the fancy models, but also not the Tradesman trim.

We also have on our "short list" either ORV or AF. but I'm limited to 9900lbs towing cap. on my Tundra...

O' Please Toyota, can you make a truck that will tow up to a 11k or 12k RV...

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #13
SCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Out of the Big 3 diesels, the Ram will come in the cheapest as far as going new. For awhile now, here in OH. I have seen the Sunday auto section advertising 3500 Ram diesel's for $43k-45k...Not the fancy models, but also not the Tradesman trim.

We also have on our "short list" either ORV or AF. but I'm limited to 9900lbs towing cap. on my Tundra...

O' Please Toyota, can you make a truck that will tow up to a 11k or 12k RV...

I'll be looking at the paper on Sunday and maybe I'll see a deal on a Ram 2500. Thanks
Old 05-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #14
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For the money differences would be looking for a 3500

Tags
tow