Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2015, 05:35 AM   #1

Husky 32218 Center Line TS with Spring Bars - 800 lb. to 1,200

Hello All

Still hitch shopping and stumpled onto the, seems like a fairly new hitch and cannot find many reviews on it. I like the weight range,and in the price range

http://www.amazon.com/Husky-32218-Ce...+trailer+hitch

Cannot find many reviews, any input please !!
Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Husky makes mostly cheaap hitches you do not want. But the Husky 31390 Center Line is an excellent weight-distributing hitch with good sway control. If you don't want to go first class with a ProPride, then the Centerline 31390 is a good alternative for less than half the cost of a ProPride.

I don't know about the Centerline TS. That's a new less-expensive hitch from Husky. Reviews are hard to find because it's a brand new product. The older - and more expensive Centerline 31390 has some positive reviews, but the TS is too new to have many objective reviews.

Note that when ordering a Centerline 31390, you must order two parts. The head does not include spring bars, so you must order the spring bars separate from the head. The 800-1200 spring bars are fine for tongue weights that cannot exceed 1,200 pounds (max trailer GVWR of about 8,000 pounds). Ignore than 12,000-pounds gross trailer weight. Tongue weight - not gross trailer weight - is you limiter, so estimate 15% tongue weight and you won't go wrong.

There are at least 3 other WD hitches with built-in sway control that are comparable in performance to the Centerline 31390. The Reese Strait-Line, Blue Ox SwayPro, and EqualI-Zer. All 4 of those hitches list for around $1,000 and can be ordered from online discount sources including Amazon.com for about $550 to $650 including the adjustable shank required. The Strait-Line is available for less than $500 without the shank, but you have to have the shank and it costs about $120.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:50 PM   #3

Thanks SmokeyWren !

By cheap, do you mean,price or quality. I was not not familiar with Husky untill starting to shop for a new hitch. I had pretty much made up my mind on the Curt Tru Trac, untill reading about a few bracket failures people have reported, then i saw the TS. Trying to stay in that 300 to 400 $ range , but as you mentioned, i have only seen 2 reviews, both pos. but !!!! and want to get away from chains.
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
By cheap, do you mean,price or quality.
Price and design quality, not quality of materials or workmanship.

Designed quality means it's designed to do the job right and never fails. I've towed various trailers all over the lower 48 with my Reese Strait-Line, and it always works flawlessly, regardless of pavement or wind conditions. I've had the ProPride only a year or so, and made only one long trip over 2,000 miles and several shorter trips around 600 to 700 miles. So far it has performed great. But it should since a new one costs three times what my Strait-Line cost.

Quote:
...and want to get away from chains.
Nothing wrong with chains except the inability to fine-tune the amount of weight distributed. But if you don't want the chains of a Strait-Line or Blue Ox, then why not order an Equal-I-Zer? No chains and they have years of satisfied customers. But a new one will cost you over $500. Here's one for $507:
http://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-90...es+-+10+000+lb
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote