Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #1

Husky Centerline hitch issue bending pins

Has anyone had this issue...I am using a Husky Center Line WD hitch and the pins that hold the little L bars that keep the main bars from lifting off the brackets keep getting bent up while towing. I reduced the preassure and they are still bending. Anybody have a fix or what may be causing the issue??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27458885_1287415224724381_4840157699907428208_n.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	193006  
Attached Images

tmeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:43 AM   #2

What do you mean by reducing the pressure?

If everything is setup correctly, the bars (you have the correct weight ones?) are "bowed" putting downward pressure, and it would take a significant angle to do what you are showing. The only other possibility is jackknifing while backing up. But that would have to be significant also.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #3

I lowered the brackets on the trailer reducing the tension on the bars. I also have added Sumo Super Springs to the truck to elevate the squat, the WDH was not enough to get back to level. 2015 RAM 1500 with soft rear end had a lot of squat. Unit tows good no sway.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Reducing the tension is what caused the pins to bend. It allows the bars to lift putting upward pressure on the pins. You needed to increase the tension, then you would not have needed sumo springs.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:12 PM   #5

They were bending before I reduced tension also, according to the dealer it was maxed out when they installed. RAM has soft rear end and squatted with even a relatively light load. I agree I think the bars are lifting, maybe I will try and go the other way and see if that helps.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:05 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How much tongue weight on trailer?
Old 02-21-2018, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeach View Post
according to the dealer it was maxed out when they installed.
Probably the issue is hidden within these words.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #8

With the correct bars and adjustment, you should be able to lift the back of any vehicle.

I had a Bronco II and a 23ft trailer. Under some bad advice, I was using 1000 lb bars on the hitch. Way over the tongue weight.
I crossed a RXR grade crossing and the rear of the Bronco lifted as the front tires went up the grade.

I traded the little Broncos for a full size one and got 600 lb bars. Towed great, even on the outer beach.

The bars are meant to bend and support some of the tongue weight.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeach View Post
They were bending before I reduced tension also, according to the dealer it was maxed out when they installed. RAM has soft rear end and squatted with even a relatively light load. I agree I think the bars are lifting, maybe I will try and go the other way and see if that helps.
In addition to what has been said above, it sounds like you have too much trailer for your truck. Saying the RAM has a soft rear end, and modifying it, only works so much. The husky is a very good hitch that works extremely well when it is used within its intended parameters.

If you give us the trucks cargo capacity (on truck drivers door "B" pillar), and the GVW of the trailer, we could give you a better informed opinion on what may fix your problem.

The "L" bracket and the safety pins are only there as a safety to make sure the bars stay where they are suppose to. They are not meant to take a continuous load.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Reducing the tension is what caused the pins to bend. It allows the bars to lift putting upward pressure on the pins. You needed to increase the tension, then you would not have needed sumo springs.
This is the answer.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Probably the issue is hidden within these words.
Buyer : "Can I pull this with my truck"
Salesman : "Sure the unladen weight is just under your max tow limit"
Buyer : "but the GVWR is so high"
Salesman : "nobody pulls a fully loaded camper"
Buyer : "what is this release form I am signing?"
Salesman : " It is just a form saying we are not responsible for you pulling a trailer that is over your load limits"

Shopping for my current fifth wheel I had three different salesmen tell me I could pull 16,000 GVWR trailers with my 14,000LB rated 3/4 ton because "everyone" goes by the unladen weight. I just told them "I Don't" and walked away.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #12

I am not in any way over loaded...WELL within the limits of GVCWR, close on payload but still under, and well within towing limit. Towing 7700lbs with 10,500 towing capacity, using weights from CAT scale. RAMS are notoriously soft rear ends with the coil springs, I could put 300 - 400lbs of mulch in the bed and it would sag. I hated the sagging look so went with the Sumo springs. Did not want to use air bags because I read they interfere with WDH. Also upgraded tires to E rated. Tows great and do not have the sway problem others complain about when trucks pass. I will try adjusting to more preasure on the bars and see if that helps. Was thinking they should not be trying to lift off the brackets and that was what might have been the issue.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
This is the answer.
I think you may have the answer, going to adjust and give it a try!
Old 02-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you have not adjusted the hitch since adding the Sumos you need to start from scratch doing all the fender height adjustments and then making sure the trailer frame is still level when hooked up.

When you lift the rear of the truck either with springs or a tongue jack the result is the same, less pressure on the bars. Then you drive over a bridge approach and the tongue wants to bounce up bending the pins. Takes a little while to re-adjust it all, probably need more ball angle, but it should work out fine.