Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Hypertech with 8.1L Chev

Anyone out there had experience in using a Hypertech programmer with the 8.1L Chev V8? I've got a 2002 C3500 DRW 4WD CC and am looking at this as a way to increase engine output a bit. But I'd like to know if this works or not? Cost is ~$350. Thanks in advance.
pigdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #2

It does perform as advertised. But on gas its very small gain compared to diesel. Check the curves. The opening of the exhaust would be more expensive but might protect your engine and better air filtration might give more power.
My experience with Hypertech is that I program and not worry to much because the numbers never get alarming. It's their policy and legal.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #3

I had the Hypertech Max Energy on my 05 Chevy Avalanche 8.1L and was quite happy with it. Ran it in "performance" mode which requires 91 octane or better. It's not a massive change in performance but was noticible. I've since sold the truck but still have the programmer if you're interested.
Clayhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #4

I have to ask, what in the world do you need more performance for? I have the same vehicle in a 2001 but SRW. I've never found it lacking for power, acceleration, braking, anything. Towed a 13,000lb boat with it a couple of times, 8000lb toyhauler (lots of drag) for nearly 10 years throughout the mountain west.

I do have the 4.11 gears. Swapping a set of 3.73s for 4.11s would be pricey on a 4wd.

A set of headers might help a smidge, but the rest of the exhaust is already pretty good.

If you are looking for power at the margins, I'd replace the flex fan with some electrics. When the flex fan engages, I lose an entire MPG (dropped from 7 mpg to 6) so you figure the fan has to be stealing something like 50hp.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:35 AM   #5

hypertech is regarded as one of the bottom line tunes as they are by far the most conservative. you would be much better off looking for a custom tune with efi live. gas engines do not pick up a tremendous amount of power like a diesel (if thats what you are hoping for) but a custom efi live tune from a reputable tuner will gain you almost double what hypertech will gain you. i would recommend that you do some research before dropping the $$. www.performancetrucks.net would be a good place to start
hawk232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk232 View Post
hypertech is regarded as one of the bottom line tunes as they are by far the most conservative. you would be much better off looking for a custom tune with efi live. gas engines do not pick up a tremendous amount of power like a diesel (if thats what you are hoping for) but a custom efi live tune from a reputable tuner will gain you almost double what hypertech will gain you. i would recommend that you do some research before dropping the $$. www.performancetrucks.net would be a good place to start
I have been using my Hypertech for towing going on 6 years. No problems like others, I consider my programing protects my drive train and it performs like the power curves indicate. Will never tow without it.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I have been using my Hypertech for towing going on 6 years. No problems like others, I consider my programing protects my drive train and it performs like the power curves indicate. Will never tow without it.
i am absolutely not saying that they do not work as advertised! i have used them in the past and you are right, they work exactly as described. i was simply saying that a custom tune via efilive or comparable will net much greater returns with only minimal more $$. you just have to make sure that you trust your tuner.

2015 Open Range 288flr
hawk232 is offline   Reply With Quote