Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #15

Yes but real trucks have 2 doors and a sleeper.
Sargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Towing truck

I traded my 2000 250 Super Duty diesel for a 2004 Tundra looking for better mileage. My Super Duty (big engine Power Stroke) got 17 mpg city and 19 mpg hwy. The Tundra got 15-16 mpg all day everywhere and had a worse ride. I could tow a 10,000 lb Bobcat trailer with the Ford, I doubt the Tundra would as well. The only thing I gained with the Tundra was easier to fit in a parking space. Bad decision.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #17

I always wondered if that section where the toy was towing the shuttle was ever so slightly downhill.......
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #18
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I traded my 2000 250 Super Duty diesel for a 2004 Tundra looking for better mileage. My Super Duty (big engine Power Stroke) got 17 mpg city and 19 mpg hwy. The Tundra got 15-16 mpg all day everywhere and had a worse ride. I could tow a 10,000 lb Bobcat trailer with the Ford, I doubt the Tundra would as well. The only thing I gained with the Tundra was easier to fit in a parking space. Bad decision.
Ooh! Someone sold you! Too bad. (This from a Ford man)
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
I always wondered if that section where the toy was towing the shuttle was ever so slightly downhill.......
In very tiny print at the bottom of the screen on all those Toyota ads there is a disclaimer saying that they are fake.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Oh, the sound and smell of a diesel in the morning.....does a boys heart good.

Ken
I love the smell...that smell...it smells like...victory!!!!
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
There's another commercial out there where a Japanese truck races out onto the runway to catch the from wheels of an incoming passenger plane to save it from crashing; yeah right!! people believe this sort of crap. It is actually a commercial and people think it real. Like the Chev truck commercial where the Chevy is towing a horse-trailer through some sort of implement shed. From the camera angle it looks like the air-conditioner on the family end of the trailer should rip off the front edge of the shed.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:34 PM   #22

a lot of it is crap, but an equal amount is "certified" I used to work on the USAC certification committee back when they sanctioned the Indy 500. We would check to ensure that the cars met all the requirements for contingency prizes - decal placement, actual use of a product on the car, etc.

That same group now "certifies" (for a fee of course) the conditions under which some car commercials are run. Of course, that doesn't mean everything is on the up and up, one would have to look in detail at how the test was run, etc. They "certified" all those ads where a truck climbed a big steel structure out in the desert and other wild "tests" of a truck's capability.

I have no doubt the truck could pull the weight of the shuttle - after all, the pull required DOES NOT equal the weight of the towed item. Would be interesting to see what the actual pull required was.

We move 40,000 lb rocket motors on air bearings - you can push 'em around with your hands.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
Real trucks don't have spark plugs.
That was a window sticker available from Ford-Diesel.com back in 1999. Ford lawyers forced the owner to change the name around 2002, so it's now TheDieselStop.com.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
That was a window sticker available from Ford-Diesel.com back in 1999. Ford lawyers forced the owner to change the name around 2002, so it's now TheDieselStop.com.

I had a hat from them with that saying embroidered on it.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
We move 40,000 lb rocket motors on air bearings - you can push 'em around with your hands.
I visited a plant where huge concrete vaults were moved using air jets underneath to suspend it slightly off the ground. one person could move the vault around the plant

But back to the TV ads. All manufactures are guilty of thes misleading ads. Toyota went further with a guy in a dealership want a Tundra to tow his boat and was told that the Tundra pulled the 300K # shuttle so it should have no problem with the boat. I agree it shouldn't have an issue towing most boats, but the rationale is misleading. Ford is guilty too with its' Fusion commercial where the car drives off a cliff and flies. Of course they mention that this is an exageration, but the day will come when some idiot drives off a cliff and the family sues Ford becuase they said it could fly.

Whatever happen to truth in advertising?

Oh well, the days of old are gone for sure. I am done with this thread.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The noise! The Smell!

Whenever a diesel goes by someone in our group says 'What's that Noise?' and someone else will always replay 'It's MUSIC'.

Then 'What's that smell?'. 'Perfume!'.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Whatever happen to truth in advertising?
Remember when cigarettes were first advertised? They were healthy.LOL!
Oh well, back on topic..
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #28

Just finished ordering a 2013 F450 Lariat. I can't wait to get it.
joshluke is offline   Reply With Quote