Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #15

Go bigger than you need! I bought a 3/4ton Yukon to pull a 4,500lb 25' ultra-lite R-vision. There were other vehicles that were capable, but having near a 30% safety margin and larger brakes is nice!

We're are buying a new TT after the first of the year and now I'm glad we bought a bigger vehicle.
DougL3NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the input folks...lots to consider
MSD81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #17

Quote:
I think I will just go ahead and buy a 1 ton, probably a diesel now. If I don't upgrade from the TT to 5th now, is there an issue with having too much truck?
Oh yeah....its very possible to have to much truck. BTDT.
But the real question is at what point is the truck too much ie:.... rear suspension is to stiff and starts beating the trailers frame/hitch/interior or it creates a rough ride for the driver and occupants.
Much depends on how small and lightweight the trailers frame is.... and your perception of what is a rough ride.

Quote:
Is a short bed OK for a 5th wheel?
Sure...you bet. There very popular for pulling trailers of any type. I have a long bed and a short bed truck. One isn't any better for pulling my 5th wheel RV or any of my heavy my GN trailers.
My one ton DRW crew cab 4x4 chevy sits in the trailer shed as its simply too long for the garage where the quad cab short bed 2wd Dodge sits. Both pull my derated 16k triaxle GN stock trailer (7k axles) just fine.

[QUOTE]Another question then....I cannot use the cruise control with my current truck.
Will a newer 1 ton allow me to use the cruise without jumping in and out of overdrive?[QUOTE]
From a F150 probably a 5.4 to a newer gen diesel will be nite and day different. The diesel will hold OD much better than your F150.
At some point even the diesel tranny will have to downshift or unlock the TC clutch on the steep grades. But nothing like your F150.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #18

Looking at a "big" 5th wheel, I'd also go with a duelly... For us, like you in a way,, this new truck is my daily driver,, (2015 Silverado 2500 4x4 Duramax crewcab short bed) so I didn't want a duelly... Yes I drive a much bigger truck at work... For us, when we sell the class A , we'll get a TT or medium size 5th wheel, and this truck will pull (And Stop) it fine... Look in to it,,, a lot of 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks now days use the same axles/brakes... Not much price difference between a 3/4 and 1 ton SRW ... I just couldn't find a 1 ton SRW here... Had to go out of state to get my truck...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151101_122048.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	112608  
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
We went and looked at some 5vers today. Within our price range, I think we will be under 15k max towing. I will lean towards a srw. I am particular about keeping my vehicles garaged especially how long I keep them and in the TX heat.

I will try to find a 2014-15 used Ram or Ford. Is there a better rear axle ratio to try to find?
MSD81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD81 View Post
We went and looked at some 5vers today. Within our price range, I think we will be under 15k max towing. I will lean towards a srw. I am particular about keeping my vehicles garaged especially how long I keep them and in the TX heat.

I will try to find a 2014-15 used Ram or Ford. Is there a better rear axle ratio to try to find?
You will regret not having the stability of a DRW pulling anywhere near 15K in my humble opinion. When towing that weight with your SRW in windy conditions and/or a semi passes you, remember my post.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:09 AM   #21
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
You will regret not having the stability of a DRW pulling anywhere near 15K in my humble opinion. When towing that weight with your SRW in windy conditions and/or a semi passes you, remember my post.
I can attest that my new Ram 3500 SRW SB has no issue whatsoever pulling my 40' Cardinal 5th wheel at 15,300 lbs. Both power or stability wise.

I had air bags installed to re-level once loaded but it's not wishy-washy at all. I don't feel a thing when a semi goes by!
Maybe having a compound hitch has something to do with that.

In Tow Hall mode, it doesn't drop a gear on hills. When I'm running on flats, I'll take it out of tow hall and run 6th gear with out any issue.

Depending on the truck and 5er pin weight, you'd be fine with a new Ram 3500 SRW SB in the 15k 5th wheel range. Going up from there I'd recommend the DRW. That is only with a 2015 Ram. The other trucks don't have that carrying capacity so you really have to do your math on weights!

Don't let anyone tell you there is no difference between a 2500 and 3500 series or 250 and 350 series. Although they may have the same engine and heavy duty brakes, it's the suspension that's different and your carrying capacity will be less causing issues in stability.
Having a 4:10 or 3:73 gear rear end will give you a bit better take off from start, but my 3:42 gear rear end in mine works fine. It's not a top fuel dragster and I don't drive it that way.

I did all the comparisons on trucks and weights when I put my set up together. My 2015 Ram 3500 SRW SB 4x4 has no issue with handling my 15,300 lb. 5th wheel. Based on proper calculations, I'm within specs in all weight categories.

If you need help figuring out what to go with what, PM me. I just took the class! LOL
The guys on this Forum were also a great help to me and have a lot to offer once you get past the "mine is better than yours" egos and get down to the real number crunching. They taught me how to do my calculations.
(By the way, that's not a personal stab at anyone, everyone has an opinion on what they like).
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
I can attest that my new Ram 3500 SRW SB has no issue whatsoever pulling my 40' Cardinal 5th wheel at 15,300 lbs. Both power or stability wise.

I had air bags installed to re-level once loaded but it's not wishy-washy at all. I don't feel a thing when a semi goes by!
Maybe having a compound hitch has something to do with .......

Have you ever pulled the same load with a DRW? I have pulled with both. There is a significant difference in stability between the 2. You can say an SRW is just as stable all day long. It is just not the case. Physics dictates otherwise.

To the OP. Good luck finding your truck.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #23
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Have you ever pulled the same load with a DRW? I have pulled with both. There is a significant difference in stability between the 2. You can say an SRW is just as stable all day long. It is just not the case. Physics dictates otherwise.

To the OP. Good luck finding your truck.
Never owned one because I never needed one!

I've never said an SRW is as stable as a DRW.
What I said was, that for me, towing what I tow with the truck I'm towing it with, there is no stability issues and I, personally, see no need for a DRW.
A DRW doesn't suit my needs, my lifestyle or my garage.

Now maybe if I was driving a Ford or a Chevy, I'd lean more towards agreeing with you LOL.
Likely need a triple rear wheel.
There.....that ought to stir up some turd!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
It's not the weight you will be pulling that is a concern, it is the weight you will be CARRYING on your rear axle that will be a concern...
while I pulled our 16k redwood 38gk with a 1 ton SB with air bags, the tongue weight on the rear axle was too much for it...

it never broke, but it never stopped reminding me it was back there and I towed it ONLY in the southeast before we got rid of it, never in the extremes of the mountains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RW and 350.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	112631  
Old 11-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Looking at a "big" 5th wheel, I'd also go with a duelly... For us, like you in a way,, this new truck is my daily driver,, (2015 Silverado 2500 4x4 Duramax crewcab short bed) so I didn't want a duelly... Yes I drive a much bigger truck at work... For us, when we sell the class A , we'll get a TT or medium size 5th wheel, and this truck will pull (And Stop) it fine... Look in to it,,, a lot of 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks now days use the same axles/brakes... Not much price difference between a 3/4 and 1 ton SRW ... I just couldn't find a 1 ton SRW here... Had to go out of state to get my truck...
Your truck will pull and the truck and trailer will stop them selves. That is NOT the problem. Can your truck HANDLE the LOAD placed on the rear axle????????????

This is where people can and WILL get into trouble.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
It's not the weight you will be pulling that is a concern, it is the weight you will be CARRYING on your rear axle that will be a concern...
while I pulled our 16k redwood 38gk with a 1 ton SB with air bags, the tongue weight on the rear axle was too much for it...

it never broke, but it never stopped reminding me it was back there and I towed it ONLY in the southeast before we got rid of it, never in the extremes of the mountains.

Nice to see "SOME" understand how things work in the real world!!!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #27

and just because it states 9750 axle capacity doesn't mean you will enjoy towing like this either. With suspension fully loaded it rides like a sled. Fine as long as road is smooth. Good luck with that.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #28

I like Glenn's earlier post. We should all just get HDT's. Of course then the argument will be " My Peterbuilt is better than you Volvo!" And so on...

Tags
5th wheel