Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
With all the talk about maximum towing capacity that goes on in this forum I have a question I've been wondering about that I thought you experts would know.
I think it's Chevy that lists different towing capacities for trailers & 5th wheels. Doesn't seem like other mfr's do that. Why? Not just why does Chevy to it when the others don't but why are the numbers different on trailers than on 5th wheels? Without getting too "techno" on me, fella's. ok?
Sign me, "Curious in OH".
L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
With all the talk about maximum towing capacity that goes on in this forum I have a question I've been wondering about that I thought you experts would know.
I think it's Chevy that lists different towing capacities for trailers & 5th wheels. Doesn't seem like other mfr's do that. Why? Not just why does Chevy to it when the others don't but why are the numbers different on trailers than on 5th wheels? Without getting too "techno" on me, fella's. ok?
Sign me, "Curious in OH".
L-
Old 01-05-2006, 04:04 PM   #3

My guess would be to sell more trucks.
tim k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:28 PM   #4

I think the reason is that when towing a 5er approx. 20% of the weight is on the tow vehicle, which gives it much more stability, traction-for both going and stopping, and this arrangement is the same as OTR semi-tractor/trailer units.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With a TT the tounge wt is about 10 to 15% of the total wt. while the pin wt of a 5er is in the 20 to 25% range. The towing capacity of a truck is determined by taking the CGWR (usually determined by the drivetrain) and subtracting the curb wt of a typical truck plus a 150lb driver from it. In the fine print there are usually things about not exceeding the GVWR or the GAWR. Who reads the fine print GM simply adjusted the tow ratings for towing 5th wheels to account for the higher pin wt. so as not to exceed the axle rating.

When it comes to all this weight stuff things get complicated. Too many mfgs are fudging numbers to stay one step ahead of the competition. RV mfgs try to make the rig look as light as possible while truck mfgs try to make thier rigs look they can tow the world. Couple these two facts together and you have a high potential for trouble.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
If I am not mistaken, they normally list a higher rating for 5th wheels. My initial guess is that 5th wheels are more stable to tow.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #7

Take a look at the towing guide that came with this months Trailer Life Mag. It has ratings for all trucks pulling both TT and 5er's. And yes, the 5er is much more stable than a TT. I know the Hensley Arrow allows the TT to pull very nicely, but people who use that setup is a very small number compaired to what's out there.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, being more stable is great, but just because it is more stable does not give it more towing capacity - GVWR and GAWRs are there for a reason.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I sent a message direct to Chevrolet on their website. Let's see what the other "experts" have to say. They should know, right?
L-
Old 01-15-2006, 08:54 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As some have said, yes it does mean that in most cses you can tow a bigger 5vr than a TT. And as most have tried to explain, to no avail. The reason is GCWR is set for each truck no matter what you are pulling and then there is GVWR, which takes into account the truck, the payload, the passengers, and the other crap we through in there. Now you put all of htis crap together and you really have a big mess. Most trucks are OVER weight when take all of this into consideration and actually have the TT or 5VR weighed. All said and done if you follow the mfg states then you are safer and within what they know is safe for there truck.
Pick out the TT or 5VR and then go and buy a truck that states it can handle what yo want to tow. Whatever you do, don't trust the RV dealer becuase they will tell yo that you can tow a 155vr with a 1/2 ton pickup. Also don't fully trust the sticker they install inside the TT/5VR because it only tells you what the empty before any options weight is.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:39 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think it's Chevy that lists different towing capacities for trailers & 5th wheels. Doesn't seem like other mfr's do that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Take a look at the towing guide that came with this months Trailer Life Mag. It has ratings for all trucks pulling both TT and 5er's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both Chevy and Ford show towing capability broken down by "conventional" and "fifth wheel." Dodge is the only one that doesn't break down their towing capability this way...they have just one number. At least this is true in both the Dodge truck brochure and the Trailer Life Towing Guide.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:39 AM   #12

The real answer is most factory reciever hitches included with tow packages have a 10K or 12K rating. This is the limiting factor for tariler vs fifth wheel applications

2006 Volvo VNL42T630 465HP 1650ft/lbs. 12 speed Freedomline
themisfitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:25 PM   #13

I was just sitting back and waiting for someone to come up with the answer. themisfitking has the right answer you can get a fifth wheel hitch that is rated at 25 thousand lbs. but like he said most reciever have 10K or 12K lbs. rating. The two numbers will not show unless the truck can tow a trailer of 10K to 12K lbs or more. This would mean a GCWR of 17K or more.

Tom

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0L 4.10
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
And you can also put that hitch in a 1/2T PU too.
You can also get larger reciever hitches.