Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #1

I think I may have found my truck!

We looked at a 2000 Ford F350 yesterday. It is a 7.3 diesel, extended cab, longbed with 89,000 miles on it. It goes to the Ford dealership tomorrow to get checked out. Hope it's a keeper, becasue this truck is almost exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you all for your help with my questions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayvd View Post
We looked at a 2000 Ford F350 yesterday. It is a 7.3 diesel, extended cab, longbed with 89,000 miles on it. It goes to the Ford dealership tomorrow to get checked out. Hope it's a keeper, becasue this truck is almost exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you all for your help with my questions.
Good luck and enjoy!!!! David

Old 06-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Boy, that is low mileage for a 2000 model. Make sure the dealer does the CPS recall.

Hopefully the owner has keep the tranny oil clean and fresh.

Ken
Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #4

It all checked out at the dealership - the truck is ours! It appears to be very well cared for and we are very happy with it. It took a while to find just what we wanted, but our patience paid off : )
Old 06-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is it a SRW or DRW, which axle ratio? Let's see some photos of it.

Mine is an 02 F350 CC, DRW and it is really a good road machine.

Ken
Old 06-05-2009, 06:20 AM   #6

It's a DRW. We were looking for a SWR, but when you're looking at used, you take what you find. I tried to post a picture, but it didn't work.
Whats the CPS?
Old 06-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CPS is a Camshaft Position Sensor. You can get on on line pretty cheap and change it your self. A lot of us carry a spare in the glove box with a socket that fits.

It is located on the front passenger side of the engine. Looking up at the bottom front of the engine, you will find a pair of wires with a plug. The CPs is located at about the 8 o'clock position. Undo the plug and remove one bolt. It may take a psir of pliers to work the old CPS out. Put some oil on the oring and put it back in.

Time about 20 minute which includes getting the tools out and get a beer to toast your work.

Mow that you have the beast, check in to http://www.thedieselstop.com for lots of Power Stroke info and advice.

Ken
Old 06-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #8

Thank you Ken. I remember reading about that somewhere. How will I know if it's gone out?
Old 06-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #9

The truck will just stop running. Ford had a recall on them. I bought one to have just before the recall. Now I still have a spare. Hope you like your truck as much as I like mine.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally it will intermittently stop, especially at idle but will restart for a short time. It will get worse as time progresses. then it may run a few days, a week,,,????

Ken
Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #11

Thanks. I'll check on that recall, and make sure my husband is aware of the situation.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:54 AM   #12

I carry a spare CPS in my truck. So far, I have only had the motor stall once a couple years ago while driving down the hwy, motor just shuts off! It Fired back up before I slowed down too much.
I know it only time before CPS completely fails.

We have an '01 F350, it has been a fairly good truck (69,000 mile on the clock). I think you are going to be happy, it will make a great tow vehicle.
If you are new to the turbo diesel, I recommend you go hang out on thedieselstop.com and you will learn a ton about that era motor, do/don'ts and what to watch out for.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With the 7.3L as on any diesel, it is very important to keep 3 things clean.
1. Lube oil and Filter
2. Fuel filter.
3. Air Cleaner.

Thr truck hold 14 to 15 quarts of lube oil and most folks run the Shell Rotella, 15W-30 oil. I also carry a spare fuel filter and a spare fan drive belt. The belt I carry is a used one, but is very serviceable in an emergency.

I do the oil changes myself due tot he cost from the shops being so high. Also make sure you keep the zerk fitting on the front end greased.

Ken
Old 06-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #14

We, too, have a spare CPS in our glove box. We bought our truck in 2006 with 86,000 miles on it and now has about 102,000 or so miles on it.
We, also, use the Shell Rotella oil.

Good luck with your purchase, we love our 7.3!

Jody

Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote