Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #141

Gulf Streamers Club
What I find sort of disturbing is the willingness to tap dance around the maximum numbers to justify a bigger trailer. Yes, sitting still on the scales you might be within limits, but what happens when you hit a dip at 55 mph? A pothole? Have to make an emergency maneuver to avoid a hazard? I'd just not like to entrust my family or property to the dangers of towing near the limits. Murphy was no dummy when his law was drafted.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #142

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
Rather than give you my .02cents, I will give you my $2,000 advice.

If you have a family, you make Judge Judy decisions. Because if you are in an accident, the judge is gonna see you were out of compliance and you will eat it. And your insurance company won't put up with your bs or wonderful logic either.

We live in a litigious society.

So, get into compliance, get some driver training, fly straight, safe, and with lots of extra safety/financial margin.

And, because you were dumb enough to write all this stuff in this forum, your posts will be brought into evidence against you should they, the attorney, be able to and probably will be able to link you to your forum name. You were in knowledge you were driving unsafe, you with aforethought drove unsafely, and are fully liable.
a little over reaching don't you think?

I had a towing company for 10 years, want to know how many times i have been to court for auto accidents?,...... ZERO
I was a police officer from 1998-2004 same question,....Same answer ZERO.

Lawyers don't even want to go to court, just want to settle with the insurance companys and get paid. They know the insurance companys have the money not the individual policy holders.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #143

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

If you have a family, you make Judge Judy decisions. Because if you are in an accident, the judge is gonna see you were out of compliance and you will eat it. And your insurance company won't put up with your bs or wonderful logic either.

So, get into compliance, get some driver training, fly straight, safe, and with lots of extra safety/financial margin.

And, because you were dumb enough to write all this stuff in this forum, your posts will be brought into evidence against you should they, the attorney, be able to and probably will be able to link you to your forum name. You were in knowledge you were driving unsafe, you with aforethought drove unsafely, and are fully liable.

No one is advising anyone to be non compliant, maybe your missing the point of the thread altogether. The discussion has been to understand why and where we can easily fall out of compliance towing fifth wheels. The legalities are cut and dry there is no excuse for ignorance, so this discussion isn't going to make a lick of difference, if you're overweight you are liable, whether you are aware of it or not. Don't you think it is important to understand all the factors so one can make educated decisions, cause I know first hand that the rv and truck dealer are not going to help. My personal situation sucks, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I've stated earlier that I intend to upgrade my tv. The whole point is to help others not make the same mistake. Every post I've made about the capability of the trucks components and capability has included "but I'm over gvwr"
Old 12-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #144

Quote:
Because if you are in an accident, the judge is gonna see you were out of compliance and you will eat it. And your insurance company won't put up with your bs or wonderful logic either.

I understand what youre saying. If my TV can handle say 2,000 pin weight and a 14,000 trailer and the mfg states the pin is 1,800 with a delivered weight of 11,000, what will the judge and insurance company be looking at?
Old 12-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #145

Winnebago Owners Club
Depends upon how smart the lawyers are. IMO they are as smart as us and they have a financial incentive to get the most they can.

Anyone who thinks they can slip a dry weight past them may be in for a surprise.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #146

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
a little over reaching don't you think?

I had a towing company for 10 years, want to know how many times i have been to court for auto accidents?,...... ZERO
I was a police officer from 1998-2004 same question,....Same answer ZERO.

Lawyers don't even want to go to court, just want to settle with the insurance companys and get paid. They know the insurance companys have the money not the individual policy holders.
Words of experience.........
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #147

Probably if they go after you its because you're at fault and liable anyway and in reality, unless you're overloaded by more than a couple of hundred pounds, its unlikely that caused the accident.
What I'm getting at, as a practical matter and barring some litigation, if the only difference between a 2500 and a 3500 are the rear springs, would it be unsafe to tow at the 3500 limit if someone swapped out the rear springs. I know the certification plate on your driver's door doesn't change by changing the springs. But if the drive train of both vehicles are the same, damaging the motor, transmission, bearings etc., are not a factor and we're back to a safety issue and whether the insurance company is going to try a get out of paying.

In my situation, based on the trailer I'm considering, I'm within specs including the mfg stated pin weight, hitch, wife and a couple or three hundred pound for junk. If I add a couple of skinny adults or a fat teenager, I'm a little over the cargo capacity. Is two or three hundred pound over the cargo weight limit going to put me a precarious situation from a safety standpoint.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #148

Outdoors RV Owners Club
An update from the OP is due here. The saga continues.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #149

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think we're splitting hairs. There's always a threat of bad things happening just by breathing and being alive. There's are new ways of getting sued, and placing blame everyday. It's up to your own self what risks you want to take. I'm comfortable with my truck and trailer and my driving practices. When I can I'd like to go to a 3500, but that won't eliminate the risk of getting in a wreck and getting my ass handed back to me. That's just the way life is.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #150

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Like I have said along with others, the ONLY difference between the 2500 and the 3500 is the springs. If you are overloaded, it's not by much,. Put some air bags in the rear. Unless you go DRW, there is no big gain with the 3500. If the 2500 is not enough truck, you'll probably feel that in a few trips and it will be time to go 3500. Drive smart, be safe.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #151

Quote:

Like the Kinks say, "Paranoia will destroy ya"
Old 12-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlingiii View Post
I think we're splitting hairs. There's always a threat of bad things happening just by breathing and being alive. There's are new ways of getting sued, and placing blame everyday. It's up to your own self what risks you want to take. I'm comfortable with my truck and trailer and my driving practices. When I can I'd like to go to a 3500, but that won't eliminate the risk of getting in a wreck and getting my ass handed back to me. That's just the way life is.
From my observation, I'm a little more concerned about the person texting while driving than the guy hauling a couple of hundred pounds over his GVWR. Usually when you hear about an overloaded pickup crashing, its overloaded with people. I don't think I've ever heard, "The accident was due to catastrophic failure of the heavy duty pick-up because its owner exceeded its GVWR by an estimated 350 pounds."
Old 12-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #153

Winnebago Owners Club
What an example we are setting for our future generations and future RV'ers.

If we only cheat a little bit it is alright because we are sure the engineers designed it with a margin of safety, the manufacturer actually built the designed safety factors in, we are above average drivers who do not drive in questionable conditions, we will maintain our vehicles to very high standards and no one will catch us.

Some seem to hold others to a higher standard than themselves. We expect airline pilots to not exceed gross weights and keep the weights and balance, we expect police officers to enforce the law fairly and uniformly, we expect shop owners to give us full measure when we purchase from them. We expect stores to open on time and co-workers to show up before the shift starts. We even expect our sports teams to follow the rules (well the opposing team anyway)!

While a couple hundred pounds it close it is the start. If a couple hundred is OK what about 500, or 1000 or 1500. There was a thread where a fellow stated he had a weight of 21000 on a 17000 axle but he knew what he was doing as he had lots of experience and it handled well. Where does it stop?
Old 12-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #154

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
What an example we are setting for our future generations and future RV'ers.

If we only cheat a little bit it is alright because we are sure the engineers designed it with a margin of safety, the manufacturer actually built the designed safety factors in, we are above average drivers who do not drive in questionable conditions, we will maintain our vehicles to very high standards and no one will catch us.

Some seem to hold others to a higher standard than themselves. We expect airline pilots to not exceed gross weights and keep the weights and balance, we expect police officers to enforce the law fairly and uniformly, we expect shop owners to give us full measure when we purchase from them. We expect stores to open on time and co-workers to show up before the shift starts. We even expect our sports teams to follow the rules (well the opposing team anyway)!

While a couple hundred pounds it close it is the start. If a couple hundred is OK what about 500, or 1000 or 1500. There was a thread where a fellow stated he had a weight of 21000 on a 17000 axle but he knew what he was doing as he had lots of experience and it handled well. Where does it stop?

So Gordon, can you assure the class that you have never driven on a road that is rated less than the at least 20 tons that your rig weighs. I imagine your rig with the stacker is approaching the 60,000 gcwr. Is that stacker 18,000 lb gvwr cause your Winnie is only rated for 15000, maybe you don't load it that heavily. But I find it hard to believe you've never passed a 13ton weight limit sign. Just sayin.

Tags
scr