Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Towing World Official Website

RV Towing Laws by State - HowStuffWorks

Sounds naive to think there are no regulations and laws regarding towing RV. Did a quick search on the net and found the above links. If one were to take the time and do an in depth search I am sure there would be much more detailed information.

It is unfortunate when folks try to defend untenable positions by trying to dismiss opposing opinions by resorting to name calling. The entire idea of a forum is to discuss differing opinions for the betterment of the interest group and the education of people who are learning.

Those links provide nothing about the average guy towing 8-14,000lbs with their 2500-3500 truck and being over GVW buy a few 100lbs. They just put caps on weights like 54,000-80,000lbs. Not even attainable for recreational TT/5er towing. There's nothing in their in regards to the LT trucks used. It's commercial use as far as weights go. I'm still waiting to see a state by state law that says you can't carry over your vehicles GVW. GCVWR is the only concern.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #170

I'm hearing to that regarding safety, towing a thousand+ pounds in GCWR, especially pulling a tow behind, is much worse than a couple of hundred over GVWR. Seems the stopping and sway problem is coming from too much of the combined weight ratio belonging to the trailer. If that thing gets away from you, with the trailer half again or twice the weight of the tow vehicle, its going to be the tail wagging the dog anyway you look at it.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #171

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
I'm hearing to that regarding safety, towing a thousand+ pounds in GCWR, especially pulling a tow behind, is much worse than a couple of hundred over GVWR. Seems the stopping and sway problem is coming from too much of the combined weight ratio belonging to the trailer. If that thing gets away from you, with the trailer half again or twice the weight of the tow vehicle, its going to be the tail wagging the dog anyway you look at it.
Then how do you explain an 80.000 trailer being pulled by a truck tractor that weighs significantly less? Wouldn't that tail be wagging that dog? Oh, wait, sometimes trucks do wreck, lose brakes, jackknife, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #172

Exactly. Going over the tow rating has far more serious consequences than going over the trucks GVW. The trucks GVW is normally reached long before the RAWR is on HD trucks. I tow 200lbs over my GVW, 1100lbs under my RAWR and 2300lbs under my GCVWR. Hardly a recipe for disaster. Even going over GVW by 5-600lbs will make no difference. Common sense.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #173

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
The political reality is few state enforce their regulations for RVs due to "tourism". Georgia for example has/had a 55mph limit for towing. Other than secondary roads where the speed limit may be 55, I've never heard of a single incident of it being enforced.
I live in Georgia and this is the first I've heard of it. In other states I've seen "Speed limit 70 Trucks 55" but never here, least not that I've noticed.

I'm not saying it isn't so, just that they don't make it common knowledge.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #174

I got that off Gordons referenced site. Towing World Official Website

Same for S.C.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #175

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The OP is aware of his limitations and has been honest and forthright in addressing them and I commend him for that. He is not the one I worry about since he will be paying attention and has educated himself on how to make his combination handle as best as possible. I worry about the guy who advocates pulling an 8000 pound trailer with a Ranger or Cherokee and claims to "not know it's back there".

As far as legalities, there may not be any laws against being over weight but your insurance company can and will leave you holding the bag for settlements and damage. But no one ever thinks the accident will happen to them so why be concerned?
Old 12-09-2014, 09:22 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I worry about the guy who advocates pulling an 8000 pound trailer with a Ranger or Cherokee and claims to "not know it's back there".
You forgot, "while doing 75 mph and texting on cell phone".
Old 12-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #177

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Those links provide nothing about the average guy towing 8-14,000lbs with their 2500-3500 truck and being over GVW buy a few 100lbs. They just put caps on weights like 54,000-80,000lbs. Not even attainable for recreational TT/5er towing. There's nothing in their in regards to the LT trucks used. It's commercial use as far as weights go. I'm still waiting to see a state by state law that says you can't carry over your vehicles GVW. GCVWR is the only concern.
Check out CA, AZ, NM, UT, NE, BC, AB, SK. . .

I am not going to debate whether or not the jurisdictions enforce the laws or not. (I know for sure that BC and SK enforce the weight laws for all vehicles and have heard CA does.) It is like debating how well the jurisdictions enforce building codes. We all know there are codes in place, we also hear of many instances where substandard buildings are produced because of lack of enforcement.

Too many people count on lack of enforcement to prove themselves right. While you say it is only 100 lbs how does it make it different from 150 or 200 or 2000. The scale quickly escalates. There is one fellow on the forum who stated he had successfully scaled 21,000 on a 17,000 axle. He claimed it drove just the same as at the GAWR?

IMO if you feel the weight you are over is safe it is your conscience. I believe that as experienced RV'ers and people of knowledge it is our duty to help folks stay safe and legal. If you do not agree with the rules contact your congressman or local officials to convince them to add "tolerance" to the numbers on the door.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #178

Quote:
Too many people count on lack of enforcement to prove themselves right.

IMO if you feel the weight you are over is safe it is your conscience. I believe that as experienced RV'ers and people of knowledge it is our duty to help folks stay safe and legal. If you do not agree with the rules contact your congressman or local officials to convince them to add "tolerance" to the numbers on the door.

I so agree!

It is beyond me "why" on this forum you have to spend countless hours justifying the importance of staying within accepted safety "specs" and complying with laws (where applicable).

It is also all about "personal responsibility" and not the responsibility of others (Manufacturers, Dealers, Salespeople) to know YOUR truck....it's specs....YOUR trailer....or how you have it loaded.....and if you choose to tow beyond the specs of your truck .....it's your responsibility to accept the consequences (btw - shame on you for suggesting that others follow your "irresponsible example".)
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #179

Gulf Streamers Club

It's pretty irresponsible to suggest towing over limit, or without brakes in a toad is, "O.K., because I do it all the time." or "The authorities will never catch you." The O.P. got caught listening to a salesman and has learned his lesson, too bad some of the folks offering advice haven't.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

The O.P. got caught listening to a salesman and has learned his lesson, too bad some of the folks offering advice haven't.
Here's the thing. Most of use have to rely on the advise of others; tax experts, doctors, attorneys, investment advisers, repair/fabrication folks and the like, so there's a natural inclination to seek advise from the people selling the products. Its not the "car salesman" alone leading people down Overload Boulevard. The truck manufactures themselves at the crux of the problem. The marketing folks are putting out numbers to apparently mislead potential customers and even their own employees by advertising and publishing information tow weights and carrying capacity for a single cab 2 WD, no options, model willfully wanting us to believe a well equipped model is capable of those numbers.
For example, I recently checked with the dealer on my truck, purchased a few years back, as to towing weights and payload capability. They punched a vin number on a keyboard for my 2007, GMC 2500hd duramax/allison w/4 WD and got back, 14,200 trailer weight 3,458 w/4wd payload. According the the door tag, I see GVWR 9200. Now take away the actual weight of the truck of ~7000, I end up with 2200 lbs available for payload; a 1200 lb haircut that for all intents and purposes, puts me out of the 5th wheel business. So what do I believe? From a strict "form" perspective, the door tag takes precedence. In substance, the drive train is upgraded to accommodate the 6.2 400 hp v8 or the duramax/allison.
Why doesn't the door tag reflect it? "No uniform standards, until recently, for measuring towing capabilities between models so they kept them at the low end of the spectrum", is the explanation I've heard.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #181

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

RV Towing Laws by State - HowStuffWorks

Sounds naive to think there are no regulations and laws regarding towing RV. Did a quick search on the net and found the above links. If one were to take the time and do an in depth search I am sure there would be much more detailed information.

It is unfortunate when folks try to defend untenable positions by trying to dismiss opposing opinions by resorting to name calling. The entire idea of a forum is to discuss differing opinions for the betterment of the interest group and the education of people who are learning.
I looked at both of those links and found out of date info on one and flat out errors on the other.
Being firmly NON commercial does away with a lot of the regulations that are quite real and many people see them and falsely think they apply to everyone.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #182

Then on the flip side some people falsely think that motor vehicle weight regulations are just for commercial vehicles and non commercial vehicles (RVs) don't have to comply.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr