Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Sorry - you are not totaly correct. While true for traffic on Interstate highway system, federal law includes provisions, exemptions, and variations applicable to particular states, routes, vehicles, or operations. Trucks moving from jurisdiction to jurisdiction must follow local rules when off the interstate and major routes identified by shifting loads, unloading or paying for overloads.
your nit picking now but good point ...if we were operating heavy combos such as 34k tandem axle groups and 80k gross weight and 20k single axle rigs.
However lets think in terms of a class size we use with our combination here in the RV world which is the OP is asking about.
Or LTL size rigs say a 30k gcw and a 14k GVWR one ton DRW truck with a 15k-20k tandam axle trailer.

Quote:
"Title 13 California Code of Regulations prohibits
the loading of tires above the maximum load rating marked on the tire"

Sounds fair and easy enough.
And like the CVO Commander says farther:
"This would most likely happen in the case of a pickup truck towing a large fifth wheel travel trailer, as those types of trailers tend to transfer a larger portion of their weight to the last axle of the towing unit causing that axle to exceed the tire load limits."

That doesn't mean that say the OP could mount 19.5" or 22.5" truck tires and still comply with the weight code.

Its rare a leo will stop and check a pickup pulling a RV trailer for over weight violations. But they sure can especially if the truck is sagging badly and swerving all over the road creating a danger to other drivers.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #100

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I didn't know it was illegal to tow over weight with non commercial truck.
AS long as you have it under control and can stop in the required distance cops will have a very hard time fining a statute to charge you under.

Quote:
...... They don't give out tickets for being over the RAWR either in the U.S.
It's a guessing game for LEO's. Unless the truck and 5er are swaying all over the road then why pull them over?
Quote:
Actually I know a fellow who was pulled onto a scale with a U-Haul trailer behind his half ton. Overweight on truck, trailer and axles. Cost him 800 in fines.

LEO's have the authority to enforce any laws that fall within their mandate. If we know about the stickers on the door and the sides of our trailers so do they.
not many Commercial vehicle enforcement officer are full LEOs

Quote:
There had to be a reason he was pulled over besides just having a U Haul trailer behind him. Something drew the attention of the LEO. He must've looked grossly overloaded.
Or his truck had a business name on its doors. That will get you looked at for sure if you are grossly overloaded.

Unless you look Mr Bronco driver below , Average Joe Cop hasn't much of a reason to stop you

They are not trained on load limits at all. only told there is a law against unsafe vehicle.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #101

Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of interesting posts on this thread. As the thread progresses it appears it has become a dicsussion about the chances of getting caught. It has left the realm of staying within published safety guidelines.

Knowledgeable people are supposed to provide their knowledge to people who are just starting out or in the process of gaining more knowledge. In essence the knowledgeable people are trainers. To be a good trainer is to provide accurate applicable information without personal biases.

While we are providing information (training) we have no idea how the person we are providing information to will understand or interpret the information. We have no idea of where or how they will use the information. We have no idea of how they maintain or will use their vehicles. We assume they understand all of the implied complexities and nuances we know when we make some very broad all encompasing statements. We assume they will maintain and operate their unit as good or better than we do ours.

End of rant.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #102

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Lots of interesting posts on this thread. As the thread progresses it appears it has become a dicsussion about the chances of getting caught. It has left the realm of staying within published safety guidelines.

Knowledgeable people are supposed to provide their knowledge to people who are just starting out or in the process of gaining more knowledge. In essence the knowledgeable people are trainers. To be a good trainer is to provide accurate applicable information without personal biases.

While we are providing information (training) we have no idea how the person we are providing information to will understand or interpret the information. We have no idea of where or how they will use the information. We have no idea of how they maintain or will use their vehicles. We assume they understand all of the implied complexities and nuances we know when we make some very broad all encompasing statements. We assume they will maintain and operate their unit as good or better than we do ours.

End of rant.
Less of a rant than a reality!! I also am disturbed by the folks that say, "I do it all the time." or "You'll never be stopped."

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #103

Quote:

End of rant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Less of a rant than a reality!! I also am disturbed by the folks that say, "I do it all the time." or "You'll never be stopped."
The OP came here and was worried about his situation and can NOT afford to trade to a larger truck. He has been given a lot of good information and a load of crap to sort through.

My opinion is for his situation is that he will be slightly over his trucks limit, but being that he is aware of it, he will be ok, BECAUSE he cares enough to use his experience and to get the knowledge to use caution to keep from being excessively overloaded. I tend to think that manufacturers have a safety margin built into their trucks numbers. Slightly overloaded and worry from it by a competent driver, is much better than SEVERELY overloaded and an incompetent "I have done that a hundred times, you can too" driver.

The OP seems to be worried about what is legal, and has not even been to CAT scales yet. Again, my opinion is that he hook it all up and take it to CAT scales and see IF it is OR is not overweight. He says his wife brings another vehicle to tow a cargo trailer to bring other stuff. Actual weight tickets from a scale tell more than this thread. If under GCWR (combined weight of truck and trailer) BUT over GVWR by a little, and still UNDER RAWR with trailer in tow, is good. Things in trailer can be moved to storage closer to trailer axles, over, or behind trailer axles to 'balance' the load.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #104

Winnebago Owners Club
It has just been striking me as odd or an oxymoron when folks will tell you they regularly don't follow the rules because they know better than the designer when it comes to GVWR, GAWR, GCWR, etc and then are outraged when there is something substandard in a unit they have purchased (why cant the manufacturer follow the specs?).

It strikes me that many of the people counseling regular overloading will be the first to complain when something goes awry. There will be loud protestations of innocence and claims for compensation.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #105

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
..... I tend to think that manufacturers have a safety margin built into their trucks numbers. Slightly overloaded and worry from it by a competent driver, is much better than SEVERELY overloaded and an incompetent "I have done that a hundred times, you can too" driver.
And that safety margin for tires, is it on new, properly inflated ones or after 20,000 miles, some cuts, and under-inflated? The margin for the suspension, is that when all components are new or after 30,000 of rough road, salt, rust, wear, and metal fatigue? What forces come into play when you hit a dip, bump, or pothole? Do you momentarily exceed the safety margin 'built in' to the manufacturer's limits then??

ANY assumption of, well, "I'm sure that it can handle a LITTLE more," is again offering poor advice when you don't know for sure.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #106

Quote:
It has just been striking me as odd or an oxymoron when folks will tell you they regularly don't follow the rules because they know better than the designer when it comes to GVWR, GAWR, GCWR, etc and then are outraged when there is something substandard in a unit they have purchased (why cant the manufacturer follow the specs?).

It strikes me that many of the people counseling regular overloading will be the first to complain when something goes awry. There will be loud protestations of innocence and claims for compensation.
Let me guess you never ever drive over the speed limit, towing or not towing.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #107

I have to ask, is that a real photo, or a photo shopped image? If it is indeed a real photo I ask, ney I Demand more proof of such lunacy more photos, address of idiot driver etc. would be acceptable.

I would like to add his family tree to DNA genomes that my family cannot, must not and will not interbreed with

kenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
AS long as you have it under control and can stop in the required distance cops will have a very hard time fining a statute to charge you under.

not many Commercial vehicle enforcement officer are full LEOs

Or his truck had a business name on its doors. That will get you looked at for sure if you are grossly overloaded.

Unless you look Mr Bronco driver below , Average Joe Cop hasn't much of a reason to stop you

They are not trained on load limits at all. only told there is a law against unsafe vehicle.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #108

Quote:
It has just been striking me as odd or an oxymoron when folks will tell you they regularly don't follow the rules because they know better than the designer when it comes to GVWR, GAWR, GCWR, etc
I don't think anyone said they don't follow the rules because they know better than the designers. That type comment is argumentative at best and was perpetuated way to often by folks that thankfully don't post on this forum anymore.

I think the OP has a good grasp of his combo's situation and what he can do if the trucks needs help....... if any.

I've always been impressed with this websites mission statement which says;

"Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts."
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
And that safety margin for tires, is it on new, properly inflated ones or after 20,000 miles, some cuts, and under-inflated? The margin for the suspension, is that when all components are new or after 30,000 of rough road, salt, rust, wear, and metal fatigue? What forces come into play when you hit a dip, bump, or pothole? Do you momentarily exceed the safety margin 'built in' to the manufacturer's limits then??

ANY assumption of, well, "I'm sure that it can handle a LITTLE more," is again offering poor advice when you don't know for sure.
Why do you choose to dissect my post verses some clearly worse advice given to the OP? Some of you here seem to be looking to give bad advice on regular basis and others want to stir things for no reason. Find A Hobby If You are that bored.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:44 AM   #110

I was interested in the first few posts/pages and now I see this has more than met the need of the OP. recommend close.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #111

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Let me guess you never ever drive over the speed limit, towing or not towing.
Whether I do or not is immaterial. I may or may not but I will NOT counsel anyone to speed because there is a safety factor built in to the roadways or I have been successfully doing it for years without issue.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #112

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn_chan View Post
I have to ask, is that a real photo, or a photo shopped image? If it is indeed a real photo I ask, ney I Demand more proof of such lunacy more photos, address of idiot driver etc. would be acceptable.

I would like to add his family tree to DNA genomes that my family cannot, must not and will not interbreed with

kenn
That pic is from page 340 of the "Big and dumb loads" thread on pirate 4X4 forum The person that posted the bronco shows them in Mexico

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-r...your-pics.html

these from page 339
This is a 50' foot boat on 30' trailer!! :

Too much tounge weight?

and my favorite

another (enough pics on this page to convince one its real)from page 70

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr