Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #211

That's not a horse, that's a jack..er...donkey.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #212

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just waiting for the play-by-play of how the first trip went. I am only reading this one because he is a fellow Ram owner. Legal or not, that Ram will tow that TT.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #213

He'll likely have the lightest loaded Ram out there.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #214

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Just waiting for the play-by-play of how the first trip went. I am only reading this one because he is a fellow Ram owner. Legal or not, that Ram will tow that TT.

I drove to North Carolina from New Jersey to make the purchase of the truck and trailer. We are full time so we transferred everything from our fleetwood discovery to the 5er at a campground near the dealership and 3 days later we headed back to New Jersey. I had no idea I was overweight at the time, handled perfectly, we drove through terrible traffic in DC and Baltimore, and encountered a fair share of aggressive drivers forcing me to make adjustments. I never once felt it was dicey, never felt like the trailer was driving, I could tell there was a trailer back there but no different than the cargo trailer behind the Yukon. I had no idea I was over, I didn't start thinking about it until I was talking to a friend and telling him about the purchase, that's when I started looking into it. I'm certain it will feel even better with the changes. One other change that I'm going to make on top of what I listed above is to move the spare tire from between the landing gear to above the bumper.
Erlingiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #215

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post

I'll add a little more for a fellow ram guy. The trans stayed at about 190 degrees, oil 205, water 190. Truck was level with the load and the five link coils are awesome, I hit some good dips and never touched the jounce. Got just shy of 11mpg, I'm at 17 with daily driving and just shy of 500 miles per tank. The b&w hitch dropped right into the factory prep, looks really clean, and the jaws are a breeze. The exhaust brake worked well, I preferred the auto vs the full on. I had the profile for the brake controller set to under 10k with elec brakes and the boost set to 9, half way through I figured out how to change it to over 10k with elec brakes(the manual is wrong and uconnect couldn't help) and had to back the boost down to about 6. I could very well have driven for years and had no idea I was over. I got to speed much faster than my discovery with a 330 cat c7, witch is pretty equal in weight, and handled equally well. All in all it's a very heavy duty truck that is very capable and I'm proud to own it. Anyone out there reading this, if your looking at a 43ft 16k gvwr trailer go with the bigger truck, if I could turn back time I would have, there's nearly no difference in price. If your looking at a 63 thousand dollar truck and can't spend 65 then you shouldn't be looking at a 63 thousand dollar truck. The only reason I'm not trading now is because it would turn a 63k truck into a 75k truck.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlingiii View Post
I could very well have driven for years and had no idea I was over.
What does that tell ya my man? It tells me your overweight on paper, not on the capabilities of the truck. A few years form now, you'd took a gander at the sticker and said, "oh look, all this time I've been overweight. I wonder why I didn't notice".
Old 12-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #217

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
In the jurisdiction I am in you can up the weight as well. The only thing is you have to show your truck is capable of carrying the weight you are trying to license it for. They will not give you an 11,000 gvw on a 9600 truck! What government agency would knowingly ignore the manufacturers limits and license it for more than it is designed to carry?
The Ohio DMV Will give the sticker you want for your lic plate.
back in the 90s I had a towing service. I had one truck a 89 F-Superduty Steelbed rollback 14,500 GVWR (Empty weight with me in it was 11.2K)
Most of the time I ran a 18K plates on it because I could haul a car and tow one at the same time.
For a few years I had a 22K plates on it. I was hauling 12K worth of iron castings with the truck. (Railroad car wheel bearing adaptors) over 3800#s per pallet.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
What does that tell ya my man? It tells me your overweight on paper, not on the capabilities of the truck. A few years form now, you'd took a gander at the sticker and said, "oh look, all this time I've been overweight. I wonder why I didn't notice".
I'm sure there's some on here that are disappointed it went so well
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
There is still some hope among them he will be indicted by the states attorney.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #220

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The towing report is exactly what I expected. So next time you get a 3500, you won't notice a difference except it will ride rougher unloaded. Now it's time to think about mods to the TT and what wax to use. Drive smart and be safe.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #221

Quote:
I could very well have driven for years and had no idea I was over.
Guess I missed it some where but what are your trucks before and after scaled separate axle weights ?? That alone will tell if your actually over weight.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #222

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There is still some hope among them he will be indicted by the states attorney.
Sad when posts resort to derision and sarcasm to support any point of view. If this kind of post does anything at all it will discourage new posters from adding their information which may be very pertinent. This is supposed to be a meaningful discussion with two sides presenting their information.

Sad when in one post decries salespersons and manufacturers who mislead and a few posts later support them by I have been doing it for years. And by the way if you disagree with me you are labeled as the weight police.

How does this add to an objective, meaningful discussion?

However to suggest (even in jest) that in order to prove a point anyone would wish bad luck to a fellow RV'er is very petty IMO.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #223

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
GD, I see where you're coming from. I think we are all in agreement that anyone seeking advice whether it be from a fellow RVer, sales person, or manufacturer, that the information should be accurate and in accordance with the law. Many times the information can be misleading and sometimes confusing, it is up to he who seeks the advice to educate themselves as best as possible so he can make an informed judgement.

Now.... I think the thread has taken the scenic route, which is fine, it's fun and after all isn't that what we do. Try not to take too much offense to the banter, I think the facts come out clear, and colorful stuff is just that. I don't think anyone is going to get the wrong idea about the thread and it's overall message:

Do your homework, stay within the law, and be safe, keep in mind we share the road. What you do is ultimately up to you. It's your responsibility to make the right decision, because any consequences will be yours.

Ps, ford sucks (actually they're nice trucks too)
Old 12-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #224

Come on Gordon, lighten up a little. We're just having a little fun. Oh, there was no pun intended with "lighten up a little"

Tags
scr