Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #225

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlingiii View Post
GD, I see where you're coming from. I think we are all in agreement that anyone seeking advice whether it be from a fellow RVer, sales person, or manufacturer, that the information should be accurate and in accordance with the law. Many times the information can be misleading and sometimes confusing, it is up to he who seeks the advice to educate themselves as best as possible so he can make an informed judgement.

Now.... I think the thread has taken the scenic route, which is fine, it's fun and after all isn't that what we do. Try not to take too much offense to the banter, I think the facts come out clear, and colorful stuff is just that. I don't think anyone is going to get the wrong idea about the thread and it's overall message:

Do your homework, stay within the law, and be safe, keep in mind we share the road. What you do is ultimately up to you. It's your responsibility to make the right decision, because any consequences will be yours.

Ps, ford sucks (actually they're nice trucks too)
Thanks for understanding what I posted.

I do not take offense to much but am disappointed in general with the antics that go on to support a point. Sarcasm and denigration form no useful part of any debate. It intimidates many and some will not post in case they become a target.

I did take offense to the suggestion that some of us hope you run afoul of the law, taken in humor or not. There likely is some truth in it but it is better left unsaid. For anyone to hope you get ticketed is mean spirited.

I know there are supporters of Ford and other brands. At the time of purchase it was the only light duty available with sufficient GVW to carry the trailer. GM only had a medium duty and the biggest Ram was a 3500 and fell well short of the requirements.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #226

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
One more thing which is huge, is space. The slides in a trailer are deeper, opposing slides can actually touch in the center which is not allowed in a mh, which translates into square footage. They have taller ceilings making it feel more open. I don't care what anyone says the first 6 feet of a mh never gets used and is a constant reminder that you are in a bus. 32 square feet of single pane glass that is too hot to touch or is ice cold. A trailer feels like a home and a bus is a bus period.
my drivers seat spins around to face the rear and makes an excellent chair to watch the tube and the passenger seat does the same and also has a table for a computer station, AND that's in the front 4 FEET
Old 12-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #227

Outdoors RV Owners Club
On all the forums I always take things in the + way. If it can be a joke or is just kidding, that's the way I take it. I go with the attitude that no one here wishes ill toward anyone so all jabs are just in jest. When I am wrong and get corrected, I am OK with that cuz I don't know it all. I am sure there are many forums that you can get your head handed to you but this is not one of them. The thing to remember is that you can't here the laugh in someones voice when they post so better use plenty of smiley faces if it's tongue-in-cheek humor.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #228

Despite ya'll lack of a sense of humor, you win. Your Dutch uncle advice encourged me to come in compliance:

fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #229

Winnebago Owners Club
Impressive! Is the tractor the Mother In Law suite?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #230

Dang Gordon, in my quest to stay clear of the law, you bring up the kind of law I could never get around; the mother in law.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #231

If you think you are screwed, you probably are.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #232

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Rodger, that makes me feel better, lol.

My quip about ford was just a random joke, ford was my first choice. I work on cars, paintless dent repair, so I've had the opportunity to sit in all the trucks. I like the look of the fords, the ride position, and my ford touch is probably the best tech interface of them all. Never cared for the gm's, I thought the rear wheel wells made the tires look tiny, and without plastic bed caps they made my job repairing the bed sides miserable, but on star is by far the most usefull feature on any vehicle other than a gas pedal. I always thought rams were hard to see out of and more basic than the other two, but when I sat in the new ones I was very impressed, they took many cues from Daimler and I would have to say they have the nicest interior.

As far as capacities they are all the same as far as legality is concerned

If only I would have bought the right class of truck.

Sorry for the unprovoked tangent
Erlingiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #233

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry Picker did not want to put you on the wrong side of that law. Fruedian slip!

Erlingii - my dad was a Ford mechanic and a heavy duty mechanic for IH. He always drove Fords except for a 64 chevy. I loved that car. I have driven various makes but the last three have been Ford, all trucks. I had a Ranger that I drove 280,000 miles. Since I retired the mileage has gone down and the two Fords I have will last for years.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #234

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Sorry Picker did not want to put you on the wrong side of that law. Fruedian slip!

Erlingii - my dad was a Ford mechanic and a heavy duty mechanic for IH. He always drove Fords except for a 64 chevy. I loved that car. I have driven various makes but the last three have been Ford, all trucks. I had a Ranger that I drove 280,000 miles. Since I retired the mileage has gone down and the two Fords I have will last for years.

Oh yeah, I think they are great trucks, not to mention I respect the company for how they have handled their financials. I would love to trade to a f450 with cummins Alison combo on a gm frame with onstar and my ford touch, that would be a sweet truck, maybe make it a mega cab chassis. I bet Elon Musk could make it happen.
Erlingiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #235

Winnebago Owners Club
I am not sure how trucks are set up nowadays. I have a 2005. I was told it was the first year for a new front end. The cut on it is amazing. Turns almost as good as the 150 I have.

I would like a bit more power but since I have the 6L there have been some changes. Have heard good things about the 6.7 and really like how quiet it is.

Down side of the truck is the ride. Have lowered the tire pressure to recommended by tire chart but still is really firm with the 5er on it. I have a 4505lb margin and am 3347 under on GVWR. The 350 of the day did not quite make it. Todays version would likely be able to carry it.

I thought about installing an air ride suspension system on the rear. Purchase of a MH has reduced the need. I will keep the truck to pull a dump trailer I have so the need for a better ride is put on hold.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #236

The world and this forum are full of tangents, enjoy them, and never apologize for them. Give as good as you get and walk with your head up. Forget political correctness and let everyone be in charge of their own feelings. Have your say so.

Just stay out of certain neighbors in certain cities. Some day when the call goes out in those neighhborhoods for help, nobody will show up, and that includes a tow truck.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #237

Trading Truck

Quote:
I need to trade the truck. Is it possible to trade to an equivalent 3500 without losing like 10k? The truck has 500 miles on it! I don't even have tags yet!
I found myself in a nearly identical situation. I had a 2013 Ram 2500 6.7 (Big Horn) and traded my 5th wheel for a new one that weighed more. Cargo capacity on the Ram was 2650 I believe and the pin weight of the trailer was also 2650. Obviously, once I was loaded I was overweight. The RAM did a great job of pulling, stopping and everything else but I was deeply concerned about the liability issues if I were to injure someone in a wreck.

I decided I had to trade and did some research and traded my Ram for a 2014 (used, 19K miles) Silverado 3500HD DRW. Leather, navigation, sunroof and most of all... towing capacity. I traded for approximately $10K difference. Fair enough given all of the upgrades included.

The Rams are great trucks, just wish I had a 3500.

I am happy and have piece of mind now....
DennisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #238

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The perfect truck has not yet been made. But when it is, it will be a Ram.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr