Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think I'm screwed

Just bought a brand new 5er and a brand new ram 2500. The trailer has a gvw of 16k. The rv dealer, the ram dealer, and some articles stated for a 5er of that weight a 2500 would be sufficient, but now as I do some calculations it seems I may be way over. The truck pulls it fine and looks good when hooked up, but I have a feeling I'm screwed. What are my options really? I can't return the truck, and trading will cost an arm and a leg. Dare I even ask if I'm over loaded, pretty sure I am.

What Size Truck is Recommended for Towing a 16,000 Pound 5th Wheel Trailer | etrailer.com

I guess you can't trust anyone
Erlingiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #2

Guaranteed your over loaded. How much is impossible to say until you drive across the scales. Heck, my 13,500 pound fiver has around 3500 pounds on the pin. Which is too much for your 2500. At 16K means your pin will likely be around 3000+. There is no way you can make something out of this mistake except to suck it up and see what you can do. Your going to have to spend money one way or the other. Either tires,wheels,springs,air bags etc or swap the truck for what you need. You just have to decide what your going to spend your dollars on.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
You'll have to be more specific about the trailer and your TV. A Ram 2500 could be capable for your towing needs, according to what model, engine, etc. Have you loaded up as if for a trip and weighed it? That's the true measure.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's a crew cab Laramie with a cummins, 6500 rear, 6000 front, gvw 10000. Trailer is Sierra 371rebh, 13500 dry, 16000gvw.

I know the truck can do it, but it shouldn't, it's not right. I just don't understand why I got pointed to a 2500, it's clearly only good for a max of about 10k. Not only that but it's stupid that a grand Cherokee diesel can pull 7k but a 3/4 ton full size truck is only rated for a 10k 5er. It doesn't make any sense! I figured I was fine and was assured by more than 3 sources and it seamed logical, but when you crunch the numbers I got set up for fines and catastrophe.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I need to trade the truck. Is it possible to trade to an equivalent 3500 without losing like 10k? The truck has 500 miles on it! I don't even have tags yet!
Old 11-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That etrailer article is rediculous, and that guy should be fired!
Old 11-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlingiii View Post
I need to trade the truck. Is it possible to trade to an equivalent 3500 without losing like 10k? The truck has 500 miles on it! I don't even have tags yet!
You'll be surprised at what you can trade for. I traded my 2012 ram 2500 mega cab for 2014 ram 2500 mega cab and got within $4000 of what I paid for it in 2012. If they try to get that much from you they are robbing you and you need to find another dealer. Of course the 3500 will sticker for more with the same equipment but it shouldn't cost you much.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #8

Quote:
It's a crew cab Laramie with a cummins, 6500 rear, 6000 front, gvw 10000. Trailer is Sierra 371rebh, 13500 dry, 16000gvw.

I know the truck can do it, but it shouldn't, it's not right. I just don't understand why I got pointed to a 2500, it's clearly only good for a max of about 10k. Not only that but it's stupid that a grand Cherokee diesel can pull 7k but a 3/4 ton full size truck is only rated for a 10k 5er. It doesn't make any sense! I figured I was fine and was assured by more than 3 sources and it seamed logical, but when you crunch the numbers I got set up for fines and catastrophe.
Sir I think perhaps you are not calculating correctly. Please read this Determining Vehicle Towing Capacity & Trailer Weight | Hitch Info and then get from your Dodge Ram Owners manual the numbers you need. Actually you may find the numbers inside the drivers door sill. Then recalculate to find out exactly how you stand. Good Luck!

Option is to post here all the numbers and let someone help you calculate.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #9

The truck is probably fine, it's probably the tires and springs that are the limiting factors. I've seen a lot of trucks that if it wasn't for the add-on's such as stable loads, air bags, or replacement springs it couldn't be used for what it's doing. You can look at numbers until your blue in the face, but the bottom line is what's the limiting factor of why the numbers are lower then what you need. Before I'd go trade in my new truck at a loss I'd find out what the real difference is between the two trucks. My guess is it's the springs and if that's the case change them, probably the tires as well. On a 2013 dodge 2500 the only real difference was the springs & tires and towing a 5er about the same weight (think 15k with a 3200 pin weight) and it's now gone just over 20k miles. Only problem's have been with the DEF crap Chrysler put on... But that's a different story.
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #10

My wife and I bought a new dodge dakota in 2001. It was an extended cab with a 6 cylinder. After driving it for about 3 or 4 days and about 500 miles, we knew that the extended cab wasn't big enough, and the v-6 just wasn't going to cut it. The dealer basically wiped out all the original paperwork and just made new paperwork for a 4-door with a v-8. It was like we never bought the first truck. Maybe if you explain your situation to the dealer, they can do the same for you. Worth a call anyways.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Just glancing at the ratings the lowest 2500 tow rating is 16,340, the payloads are 2,990 and up.

If you're under that, don't sweat it. You said your trailer GVWR is 16,000, 13,500 dry. You're going to load 1,000-1,500ish in stuff, so you're likely to come in at 15,000, visit to the scales pending.

Don't worry about it. Go camping.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Sir I think perhaps you are not calculating correctly. Please read this Determining Vehicle Towing Capacity & Trailer Weight | Hitch Info and then get from your Dodge Ram Owners manual the numbers you need. Actually you may find the numbers inside the drivers door sill. Then recalculate to find out exactly how you stand. Good Luck!

Option is to post here all the numbers and let someone help you calculate.
My intention of asking you to recalculate is not because I think you are okay, but, because from the numbers you have posted you or no one else can say exactly what your permissible weights are. At least I can not.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is only 1 way to really know. Go to the scales and weigh everything. Until you know what the weights are, it is best guess. Weigh it, then see what is needed.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Don't jump quite yet.
Check the Ram Trucks - Towing Capacity Chart
It shows a max towing of 17,400 lbs for your truck & 25,300 GCWR.
Pin weight could be your biggest issue, but probably workable with some of the above suggestions.

Happy Trails
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr