Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #1

Ideas for towing tt and 6 passengers?

I currently tow with a ford expedition el. Anyone know if ford or GM will make a 3/4 ton SUV again? The expedition has been towing fine but would like something stronger for longer trips. We tow a 2012 keystone passport 2910 BH
Thanks!
boiler up is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
How do you feel about vans?
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #3

Do you just need more power or more stability??

For 2015, ford will be plopping their ecoboost 3.5L from the F150 into the expedition. It's a really good towing motor, though a little fuel thirsty when towing. Produces torque nice and low in the power band and has a long broad torque curve. Perfect for towing. Here's the link: 2015 Ford Expedition stays the course, adds EcoBoost power [UPDATE] - Autoblog

I believe GM's yukon denali and escalade also have the new 6.2L engine in them. That engine is a beast.

However, none have HD suspensions i think, though the ratings have increased over the years. 6 passengers are heavy, added to the tongue weight and fuel. You may be pushing it. The current expedition EL only has a payload capacity of about 1600lbs.

The yukon denali and escalade are going to be very expensive though, probably about $20k more than the expedition. I'm guessing the 2015 expedition mild refresh means the prices will stay lower.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #4

Van might be the way to go ... Have to check out GM since ford stop making the econoline. Stability, the kids are light now but growing fast!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler up View Post
Van might be the way to go ... Have to check out GM since ford stop making the econoline. Stability, the kids are light now but growing fast!
Don't know about the econoline, but Ford offers an E-350 van with 10,000 rated towing.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Often thought a 2-5 year old Ford E-350 van was a very reasonable value compared to full sized SUV's on the market. The van will give you flexibility as far as seating, and giving each traveling family member more personal space.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Given what's available today and within the next few months, go for a Chevy Express passenger van with a diesel engine, or a 2015 Ford Transit Wagon (passenger van) with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine.

The Chevy design is ancient, so if you can wait a few weeks for delivery, order the new Ford now. With your choice of two roof heights and an EcoBoost engine for plenty of power for dragging that bunkhouse over the Rockies. I'd get the middle height roof instead of the regular van roof. All sorts of options to make it anything from a utilitarian people mover to a luxury touring van for your driver and 6 pax.

Or if you're the least bit adventurous, then order a cargo van and outfit the interior as you please. I did that about 37 years ago with an E-150, when my kids were small, but I didn't need the oomph to drag a trailer back then. With the Transit cargo van you can opt for a longer wheelbase and a higher roof than those available on a Wagon. The medium height roof available on the Wagon allows walking around inside the van, but really tall guys might prefer the higher roof available on the cargo van. And with the cargo van, you can even order a diesel engine. I don't see a diesel option for the Transit Wagon.
2015 Ford Transit Work Trucks | View Transit Features | Ford.com
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #8

Great details about the vans. Thank you! I am thinking about keeping the 07 expedition and trading in our 2002 150k+ miles explorer in for a van. The van could be helpful all year. How does the vans payload compare to the explorer? Would you go gas engine?
Old 03-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler up View Post
Great details about the vans. Thank you! I am thinking about keeping the 07 expedition and trading in our 2002 150k+ miles explorer in for a van. The van could be helpful all year. How does the vans payload compare to the explorer? Would you go gas engine?
The new 2015 Transit has a wide GVWR range from 8,600 to 10,360 pounds, i'd say that puts you in the same payload as a 2500-3500 truck series. Our sprinter van at work has dually's on the rear, it's the high roof you can walk in. I don't think you need a high roof, i would just get a medium roof or low roof, kids can crawl around the back. Even with the low roof, they probably have tons of headroom while sitting. The 3.5L ecoboost is a good towing engine, torque is nice and low and very broad, you won't have any complaints there.

The only thing i would wait to see is the tow rating on the Ford transit van, i haven't seen a number for that yet.

The chevy express and GMC version can be had in 2500/3500 payload versions. You won't have any troubles there.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:59 AM   #10

I see you and I share the same problem!

It's 6 of us, kids ages are 7, 9, 13, and 17. I know after this year we will be down to 3 with the oldest headed off for the Navy, but it's still tough to find a tow vehicle to handle everyone.

My solution:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4256814939.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	640.4 KB
ID:	58974

2wd, 6.0, 4.10 locker. $4000! I patiently shopped over the winter to find it.
DougL3NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #11

Nissan NV 3500 is rated for 9500# towing and costs about $30k new+.
Friend of mine has one, loaded with DVD and all the bells'n'whistles. Loves it. Leave the back bench seat out and you have seating for everyone and a ton of room.
Style is a little quirky, but it actually looks pretty good in person and rides great.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Nissan NV 3500 is rated for 9500# towing and costs about $30k new+.
Friend of mine has one, loaded with DVD and all the bells'n'whistles. Loves it. Leave the back bench seat out and you have seating for everyone and a ton of room.
Style is a little quirky, but it actually looks pretty good in person and rides great.
I believe the 9500# towing is only the cargo version. The NV passenger is reduced to 8600# towing.
autorot8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorot8 View Post
I believe the 9500# towing is only the cargo version. The NV passenger is reduced to 8600# towing.
You are closer than I was... 8700#. Good catch. Not sure what the difference is other than the weight of the benches. Seems kinda silly.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Often thought a 2-5 year old Ford E-350 van was a very reasonable value compared to full sized SUV's on the market. The van will give you flexibility as far as seating, and giving each traveling family member more personal space.
You can find used ones from 2008 to 2012 from low / mid teens to low 20's. Just watch each ones tow capacities. Buddy has the 5.4L (E-350) and the tow cap. is very low. You have the diesel 6.0L and the 6.8L V-10. Both the diesel and the V-10 max out at 10,000 towing.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote