RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 05:20 PM   #1

Idle Hours Meter - Ram, Ford, GM?

In the next year I'll likely make the switch from a large gas powered SUV to a 1-ton diesel truck (and going from a TT to a Fiver). At that time I'll seriously consider a low mileage used vehicle.

In reading up on the subject I have learned that recent Ram and maybe Ford trucks have in-dash info that can be reviewed to see the amount of hours the truck has been idling. Do the recent GMC and Chevy Duramax trucks also have this feature?

I had briefly flirted with flying to a dealership for a low mileage Ram that had an aux tank and a couple other features that made it unique. I'm glad I shelved the idea because it was before I learned about checking for idling hours.

Best regards,
Chris

BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #2

You can rephrase your 'Ram has it and maybe Ford' statement as Ford does have it.

I only know about Ford, sorry I do not know about Duramax.

It is smart, I think, to look at idle hours along with milage but I do not know of a correlation. Like is a truck with 15,000 miles with 200 hrs. idle time better or worse than a truck with 10,000 miles and 400 hrs. idle time. Which engine and EGR last longer while at idle. Is one better than another? Duramax, Power Stroke, Cummins?

There are people on this forum will say idle time is really bad with today's emission controls. I am not one of them as I really do not know. I ran my 2012 Power Stroke like it was gasoline. I bought it new and owned it for 6.5 years without any issues. I would buy another.

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
In the next year I'll likely make the switch from a large gas powered SUV to a 1-ton diesel truck (and going from a TT to a Fiver). At that time I'll seriously consider a low mileage used vehicle.

In reading up on the subject I have learned that recent Ram and maybe Ford trucks have in-dash info that can be reviewed to see the amount of hours the truck has been idling. Do the recent GMC and Chevy Duramax trucks also have this feature?

I had briefly flirted with flying to a dealership for a low mileage Ram that had an aux tank and a couple other features that made it unique. I'm glad I shelved the idea because it was before I learned about checking for idling hours.

Best regards,
Chris
Most GM trucks will give you "engine hours". These are counting as soon as the engine is running and doesn't distinguish idle from 60 MPH driving. My 2011 gas engine 3500HD has it in the DIC (driver information center). As a technician/shop owner I note this at every service, comes in handy at times.

Engine hours comes into play for the oil change algorithm. One can easily calculate an average MPH by taking total mileage on the odometer and dividing by engine hours.

Low level trims such as WT (work trucks) with no DIC won't have this info. We can sometimes get the info via a scan tool.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #4

Ford counts every second that the engine is on but not moving as 'idle' time. Where does that put you in your thoughts about where the numbers ought to be for a used truck?
My '17 bought new, now at 58k miles is at 2183 hours total/806 hours idling. What does this tell you about it if you wanted to buy it? Would it be better at lower idling hours? At what % idle to total does it become a 'problem?' Seriously, what do the numbers mean to you in a used truck?
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:57 PM   #5

I truly appreciate the replies and input. There have been successes and challenges with other used vehicle purchases.

My 2017 Expedition EL started life as an airport rental car. My biggest complaint is the wear in the cargo areas from the constant use and cleaning. And some of my research has been leading me to vehicles that give me pause when CarFax claims it is a one-owner vehicle but was likely a rental or had other commercial use.

I'd really been hoping to buy a 3/4 gasser as a next truck rather than jumping all the way to a 1-ton diesel. But the more I look at key facts, the more I'm biased towards buying big with no regrets:
  • We live at 2,300' and camp all summer at 7,000' or higher
  • The fiver we currently like the most has a GVWR of 15,000
  • We average 50+ nights of camping a year with the TT, we likely be trying to double that a couple of years after getting a fiver. Towing miles will increase from 3K annually to probably twice that.
  • Locally diesel is just a couple of cents more than regular gas

I lived through the yuck years when the makers had to make gas engines pollute less but made some questionable products during the learning curve. I read stuff that makes me think we're at the tail end of that cycle for diesel. So I want to do what I can to stack the cards in my favor when it comes to longevity. Even used a 1-ton diesel that's less than 3 years old will be the most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased.

To answer wingnut60's question, I want to compare a few trucks against each other and look at maintenance records before making a decision. As long as I will get some remaining manufacturer's warranty, I don't know if a truck with 50% (or 200%) more idling time will rule it out. I'd likely weigh a few factors. And if I end up being brand-flexible at purchase time, I'd like to have similar information available for my finalists. That's why I'm asking now.

Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:03 PM   #6

My 2016 GMC had an idle hours counter as well as engine hours.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #7

According to Ford your 806 idling hours equals 26598 miles that you would add to your road mileage.
Ford Fleet has determined that one hour of idling is equal to the engine wear of driving 33 miles.
Ford uses this idling data for warranty purposes, more so on 6.4 and 6.7 diesels. You have to add the idle hours to your mileage for maintenance servicing.
You will be shocked at how much real idle time is on your engine between oil changes. Ford uses this idle data to deny warranty because you didn’t follow proper oil change interval as per the Ford service manual. Any 2010 and newer Diesel engine should never every sit and idle for longer than 5- 10 mins. Idling is a great way to plug your DPF. And spend lots of money in repairs.
cmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:56 PM   #8

BubbaChris,
Certainly you are going at it correctly. I was really wondering how much weight to put on the idle hours on a used truck and how you were using it to help a decision. Knowing that Ford counts every second/hour the engine is running if not in motion, as idle time, should help discount a higher idle %. In reality, if the engine IS running, and the truck not moving, it IS idling....I also think the newer trucks aren't affected as badly by long idling as they used to be. I personally have idled mine for over 12 hours at a time, having to sometimes restart it after the puter killed it, and gone thru 2 regens during that same period.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #9

cmckenzie,
How do you account for the diesels used by construction/maintenance/field workers who run them all their shift and maybe not move the truck at all? That's what the regen is for, to clean the DPF. And the manual regen option.

And, if the 806 idling hours adds 26k miles to my 58k? So now Ford says the truck has 84k miles and my warranty is up at 100k, or 100k - idle hours? Could you address what effect this idle hours actually has? Do you know of anyone denied warranty coverage because of high idle % numbers?

And, if the idle miles are added in, how come my oil change indicator has never come on? Seems it would by itself decrease the IOC miles/time or Ford can't say it has been neglected in service interval.

Are you saying due to the 806/26k mile equivalent, I should have had 2.5 to 5 more oil changes than the manual calls for?
Old 06-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
cmckenzie,
How do you account for the diesels used by construction/maintenance/field workers who run them all their shift and maybe not move the truck at all? That's what the regen is for, to clean the DPF. And the manual regen option.

They don't worry about warranty, they ride them hard and put up wet...then get rid of them

Idle is very inefficient ...fuel can wash cylinder walls which can increase wear.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:20 PM   #11

Yes they do have auto regen. You can only do so many regens before the soot load will plug the DPF. Every regen does not completely clean the little tubes. The tubes will slowly plug after many regens.
The computer only looks at the pressure difference from one side to the other side of the DPF. Over time it takes longer to Regen. Idling a 2010 and new diesel is a know problem in the industry. There are a lot of companies now do a forced regen after every oil change. What i’m saying is if you what to save money on fuel and emissions repair costs don’t idle.
I do this for a living. Just trying to help.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #12

Yes I know of many people denied warranty claims because of idle time plus road mileage. This is more specific to Ford. For example I know a bus company with a large fleet of 6.4 ford diesels that change there engine oil every week or less on everyone one of there buses because of the idle time on these engines. They get a lot of fuel wash down into the base which dilutes the oil. It’s a real problem.
Most big Diesel engines manufacturers want you to service by hours because of the idle time.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:12 AM   #13

So now we have a coorelation of 1 hour of idle time equals 33 miles. And I can believe commercial diesel engines are maintained by engine hours and not milage.

For example there was a fire truck on my street just a few days ago. It probably never leaves the county but man, the idle time. It sat 7 houses down and idled for at least an hour. Is that an 'old school' habit? Like changing oil every 3,000 miles? I still hear the big diesel engines idle at truck stops...again 'old school'?

wingnut60 - you will be a good test. You have a wizz bang 2017 diesel engine and sounds like you are using it. I will be interested in how well your truck holds up as it started out as a rock solid and very powerful truck. My guess is you will not have any problems as I am trusting Ford. I would say my 2012 Ford held up great with zero problems, even with the Gen 1 6.7 diesel. I had my diesel for 6.5 years.

Oh, in my example in my previous post the truck with more miles but with 200 less idle time hours would be the better truck. That is at 33 miles / per 1 hour of idle.

Idle time however does not wear out suspension parts like tie rod ends, ball joints or tires.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #14

I've also seen 1 hour of idle time being equated to 25 miles of driving. With either figure you have a tool for reviewing overall use of the truck.

While I'm slightly intimidated with the learning curve going to a modern turbo-diesel with DEF, I'm really optimistic.

I would not seriously consider an early 70's muscle car over today's comfort, sophistication, and safety built into performance cars. I expect the same improvements for a diesel pickup.

The big three have the creature comforts all dialed in and the evolution of the motors and exhaust have taken out almost all of the noise and smell that used to make diesels only suitable for hard core fans.

Best regards,
Chris

Tags
ford