Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
bdb

If you were me

Hello everyone! I also posted this on another forum, so if you've seen this elsewhere and have replied, ignore.

Looking to upgrade my TV this spring and was wondering what others would do in my situation.

I have a 26ft TT (6000-6500 wet) and currently towing it with my '08 1500 ram with the 5.7. Inside the truck, wife, 5 yr old, 2 large dogs and myself. Live out in Utah so canyon driving happens no matter where I go. The 1500 does okay... flat travel, I have no issue. Going up any sort of incline, now that's a different story. Truck struggles on the hills and head winds. Drives me absolutely crazy!

So, looking for a better tower. Leaning towards a 2500 Ram with the cummins, but also thinking about sticking with a 1/2 ton and getting the 3.5 ecoboost. This truck will also be my daily driver (40 mile commute each day).

Which way would you go? Really looking for an effortless tow. I know the cummins will handle things with ease, but I wonder at times if I should just stick to the 1/2 ton since it'll be a daily driver.

Thanks everyone!
bdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb View Post
I have a 26ft TT (6000-6500 wet) ...Which way would you go? Really looking for an effortless tow. I know the cummins will handle things with ease, but I wonder at times if I should just stick to the 1/2 ton since it'll be a daily driver.
There very few and far between half-ton pickups with enough payload capacity to tow that wet and loaded trailer without exceeding the GVWR of the pickup. No problem with power to pull that much trailer. The F-150 EcoBoost wouldn't even grunt. But if that F-150 doesn't have the very rare heavy duty payload package, then it will probably be overloaded over the GVWR of the TV. For new F-150s. Ford includes the heavy duty payload package on their "build&price" website, but it's still under "late availability" so they aren't building any yet.

So if I were you, I'd order a new F-250. The gas engine with the right rear axle ratio will be all you need to tow that trailer with no strain. Of course the $8,000 diesel would be a lot more powerful, but it's really overkill for your use.

BTW, I had an F-250 diesel for 12 years. Loved it! But my trailer was around 8,000 pounds, and I didn't want to buy all the gas the V-10 gas engine would drink, and the Ford V8 gasser of that day was a weak sister, so I went for the diesel. But the current V8 gasser in the F-250 is a much-improved engine. My daughter has one for her 7,000-pound horse trailer, and she loves it. And her hubby often uses it as his commuter car.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:54 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've been to Utah. Beautiful and plan to return. But you've got some real grades there and the Ram 2500 diesel is the way to go. You will effortlessly go up any grade and never have to use the brakes going down with the exhaust brake. The truck will outweigh the TT and that's a good thing. Yes, it's more truck than you really need but you'll be smiling all the way and never look back.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:28 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have said it many times "you can't have too much truck"

Rick
Old 01-16-2016, 02:11 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
The other good thing about the Cummins is there is usually a line up of guys willing to buy it when you are done with it if you give any luv at all.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:57 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I've been to Utah. Beautiful and plan to return. But you've got some real grades there and the Ram 2500 diesel is the way to go. You will effortlessly go up any grade and never have to use the brakes going down with the exhaust brake. The truck will outweigh the TT and that's a good thing. Yes, it's more truck than you really need but you'll be smiling all the way and never look back.
Good advice! The gas truck will get you there but the diesel will give you a 1000% better driving experience.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #7

I'd pass on the diesel and just go 2500 6.4 Hemi. Save the $9,000 for the diesel option. You'll get 3000lbs for payload with the 6.4. That drops to 2100lbs or less with the CTD option. Mpg won't be all that much different with the 6.4.
Not sure where you live but in Salt Lake City reg is $1.85 at Sams. Diesel is $2.19 at Maverik. Those look like average fuel prices on Gas Buddy.
If you drive 10,000 a year non towing on the hwy then you'll spend about $1156 for reg with the 6.4 and $1216 for the CTD even though the CTD will get about 2 mpg better the higher diesel cost offsets it.
The 6.4 2500 3.73 would be plenty for your TT. You have two fuel filters to replace with the CTD and also need 12 qts of oil. The oil filters just jumped in price too.
As far as the F150 3.5 EB goes, it would work if you can find a Max Tow F150. You probably don't need the Heavy duty tow package since Fords payload ratings have risen since they went to the aluminum body. The Max Tow requires the 3.73 gears which won't get you the mpg that 3.55's will. But you would save a bunch over a 2500 Ram.
JMO but for that TT and living in Utah I'd go 3/4 ton. I've had the F150 with Max Tow and pulled a 31' 7300lb TT around Oregon and Nor Cal. It was okay. I then moved up to a 12 Ram 2500 and the handling and control was way better.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #8

While a diesel may be the best choice for the towing part, the daily driver part in a cold climate... not so much.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #9
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Good advice! The gas truck will get you there but the diesel will give you a 1000% better driving experience.
Good Advice! Actually, buying most wheels would not be considered an investment, but buying a diesel pickup would be close to being an investment!
All the best!
Old 01-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #10
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I've been in your seat. I've had the F150 4x4 Eco.

I traded it in on my 2015 Ram 3500 diesel. I'd never go back to gasser again. I love the exhaust brakes with the Cummins diesel trucks. Powerful in the hills and the exhaust brake can almost bring you and your load to a stop on a decline without using your brakes.

My truck is my daily driver. My fuel use cost is less with my 3500 over my F150 Ecoboost without any load. I use my exhaust brake all the time!

Once you've experienced a truck that's "Truly" set up to tow, everything else pales in comparison!

The 3500 would be more than you'd need and I'd recommend the Ram 2500 over any of the other Big 3 and certainly over any gasser.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb View Post

I have a 26ft TT (6000-6500 wet)
See, this is the problem that many people make. You're, at best, guessing the weight of your trailer. You really need to get it weighed on a scale when the trailer is fully loaded and ready to travel. Then, and only then, can you make an accurate decision on what tow vehicle to purchase.

Good luck on your decision.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Weather it weighs 6K or 7K makes no difference. If you are tired of hearing the engine scream RPM's on the grades, get a 2500 diesel. Your 1500 hemi will tow 6K - 7K and it will scream on the grades.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have nothing to add other than I really like the power and exhaust brake of my Ram 2500 with the diesel engine. After all, what goes up must come down.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #14

You cannot go wrong with the Ram2500 and Cummins ISB. You're going to eventually tow a mammoth 5th wheel, this truck is the Swiss Army knife of TVs.

That being said, be warned. I was filling my diesel pusher a few months ago and a guy with a Ram 2500 Cummins started talking to me about my coach. He asked how many gallons the tank held. We started talking about the crazy low price of diesel (probably $2.50 a gallon back then) he told me how when the price of diesel was close to $5/gal how expensive his truck was as his work truck/everyday driver.

We're living in the golden age of fuel prices now. Who know a year from now? $6/gal diesel won't make much difference to my motor home use cost since it's an occasionally driven vehicle. But it would be a really big deal to people driving diesel trucks every day.

Good luck!