Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #1

Illinois I Pass

Just spoke to the I-Pass people and they said I should place the transponder in my Tow vehicle and not in the MH. I have registered both vehicles. She said it would recognize that I had the 5 axles. Seems odd to me that I would place in the back vehicle and not the front vehicle. Would appreciate confirmation.

JSPERRELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like she was confused as to what you were asking. Here in NY if you pull a TOAD you set the MH transponder up for MH & TOAD. If you have another transponder for the TOAD you put it in a special envelope so that it doesn't record when going thru the toll both.

D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hello, we have the blue I-pass transponder and we keep it in our MH and the one for the toad (white one) is wrapped in foil so it does not trigger tolls. I think you received some bad information. We have used our I-pass in IN, OH PA, DE and MD with no issues with it being in the MH. All sensed 4 axles and charged according.

When I called them about transponders I was told had to have the blue one which is the same ones trucks use. The other one (white ones) are for cars and suv's etc.

Like I said above I have had no problems with it in the MH.

Is yours a blue one?

Richard
RCG604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCG604 View Post
Hello, we have the blue I-pass transponder and we keep it in our MH and the one for the toad (white one) is wrapped in foil so it does not trigger tolls. I think you received some bad information. We have used our I-pass in IN, OH PA, DE and MD with no issues with it being in the MH. All sensed 4 axles and charged according.

When I called them about transponders I was told had to have the blue one which is the same ones trucks use. The other one (white ones) are for cars and suv's etc.

Like I said above I have had no problems with it in the MH.

Is yours a blue one?

Richard
It is white.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
My transponder was issued in NC. NCQuickpass has a website on which you can do a setup for your particular vehicle. When NOT towing, i set up for a two axle vehicle; when towing I set it up for a 4 axle vehicle. This is the white transponder. Seems to work with no false overcharges. I would think transponders issued by other states would have a similar website. For me, it's same website where I can add money to the account!
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #6

All I have is a white ipass. When I bought my motorhome I called the Illinois toll authority and told them what I was doing. They said they charge by axel and the sensors in the road tell them that and they charge accordingly. All I do is relocate the white ipass to the motorhome. Been doing this for two years. Went all the way to Atlantic City that way with no problems except for the high tolls.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Sounds like she was confused as to what you were asking. Here in NY if you pull a TOAD you set the MH transponder up for MH & TOAD. If you have another transponder for the TOAD you put it in a special envelope so that it doesn't record when going thru the toll both.
I have a NY EZ Pass as well and that's my understanding of how it works as well.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realredrebel View Post
All I have is a white ipass. When I bought my motorhome I called the Illinois toll authority and told them what I was doing. They said they charge by axel and the sensors in the road tell them that and they charge accordingly. All I do is relocate the white ipass to the motorhome. Been doing this for two years. Went all the way to Atlantic City that way with no problems except for the high tolls.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Thank you. That was the answer I expected.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:09 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Reading on the I-pass web site this morning, they claim you can use the white one for the motorhome. Don't know why I was told not to. I will be calling them to find out.

So according to their site you should be good.
RCG604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #10

I tow a double tandem axle arrangement 5th wheel trailer with my Ram pickup truck; total of 4 axles. I have mounted the Ipass transponder on the pick-up truck window as required. I have towed this way since we purchased our first 5er in 2007 on the IL toll road and other toll roads out east.

On the IL toll roads we started out with toll booths at every toll plaza and slowly transition over to open road tolling. My cost has never changed as I travel through the open road toll plaza. In other states I always stop in the truckerís lane at the far right both and my transponder register that it has paid the toll and I pass through with no issues than I will use the open road or truckers lane as required. I have never had any issues what so ever with my mounting arrangement. I check my toll way account after every trip to record the tolls in my spread sheet for camping cost. So I know that I am being charged accordingly when towing my 5er or not.

Jim W.