Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 08:40 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Hear, here!
Txice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #16

Call IDOT.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
Excellent info, thank you!

I am sure I will feel stupid, but what are safety lanterns, and reflectors or fusees? Are those like flares?

I do have an extinguisher and safety triangles...?
Not a problem and glad that you asked. You are good to go with the safety triangles. And yes fusees are flares that have a certain burn time and usually a spike on the end to put into the ground (I still haven't memorized all the stuff ). If you have the three triangles and know how to set them out you are OK. The lanterns are battery operated units that do the same thing as the triangles. I personally like the triangles as they have no battery to fail.

OBTW if you have a powder extinguisher don't forget to check it when you take the rig out (not a regulation that I know of just good practice) Green on pressure and shake it to uncompact the powder. Got that from CERT training.

Travel safely,

Dave

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:25 AM   #18

Thanks Dave!
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:12 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I went thru this last summer. The Secretary of State has a Non CDL study guide you can pick up at most locations. You take a written test along with a Vision test. You are issued a permit good for one year.

I asked what were the best days to take the driving test. I didn't have to make an appointment but I was told at some locations you have to. The test is based on the study guide. What I found odd was I didn't have to take the air brakes endorsement test even tho I have air brakes on my Class A.

I went to the location and the driving test was first like a normal test. (You must take the test in a vehicle that meets the requirements for the license classification.)
Checking all lights, turn signals etc. Then the driving test was turns and a 3 point backup (basically a blind backup). I was just asked if I had triangles but didn't have to show them. The test was about 15-20 minutes long.

I now have a Class B license Non CDL for 26,001 and above towing less than 10k lbs.

I took the test in a Class A Diesel pusher.

Richard
RCG604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:37 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Richard,

Where did you take the test(s)?

And Thanks for the "update" very "comforting to us "quaking newbs" (LOL).

I am going to take the written Wednesday. I really don't see it as difficult but I always get nervous before tests like this and my Pilot's exams etc.

Ciao!

Dave

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
Old 04-15-2016, 07:40 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh, almost forgot. The requirement for the air brake endorsement is waived for NON-CDL. I did read that somewhere in the NON-CDL study guide. Yes, I found that a little strange too.

Dave

Old 04-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by park_ridge_dave View Post
Richard,

Where did you take the test(s)?

And Thanks for the "update" very "comforting to us "quaking newbs" (LOL).

I am going to take the written Wednesday. I really don't see it as difficult but I always get nervous before tests like this and my Pilot's exams etc.

Ciao!

Dave
Dave, I took them at the Plano, IL SOS it's near Aurora. We work for a county campground as attendants in Big Rock IL. So it was the closest. Big Rock Campground

The written test isn't bad if you read the Non CDL guide. You might get a trick question. It has to do with speed. Listen to the headphones and read but go by what you hear not the screen. LOL I mentioned it and was told it has been wrong for years. We are currently in Tx on our way to the campground for opening day May 1st . You should come check it out, it's a nice new campground.

Good luck, you will do fine.

Richard
RCG604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #23

I am amazed at the amount of people who think just because they are towing an rv they think they are above the law or it doesn't apply.

It really is black and white on the back of your license what weight you can legally handle....it's that simple. People think more weight only applies to commercial.

Good for op and the rest for understanding the need for higher class license. We're not cdl but you have to be legal for the weight both in license and tags.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:01 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
I am amazed at the amount of people who think just because they are towing an rv they think they are above the law or it doesn't apply.

It really is black and white on the back of your license what weight you can legally handle....it's that simple. People think more weight only applies to commercial.

Good for op and the rest for understanding the need for higher class license. We're not cdl but you have to be legal for the weight both in license and tags.
If you're talking about IL you're absolutely correct as it is in other states, for example where I live in NV. However it depends on the state you reside in.

Prior to moving to NV I lived in ID and there was no special license required to legally operate my 26,000 lb plus motorhome, and because of reciprocity I was legal in every other state I drove through.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Took the test(s) and I passed

I took the written test last Wednesday not bad. That got me my "learner's permit" good for a year. Just study the NON-CDL Rules of the road. 25 questions no sweat (you can try 3 times before you have to come back)

Today my neighbor who has a CDL accompanied me for my driving exam. The driving portion was very practical I just drove down the divided highway for about 2 miles and made a few turns to get to a parking lot where I had to back into a space. Then we drove back to the DMV office.

They checked my lights, insurance card, Driver's license, my written test results and "learner's permit Have these documents available when you go in to get your number to wait for service. The whole test today took about two hours to pull the rig out drive over there take the test and put the rig back in storage.

Now I can breath easier when I am out on the road and a BIG THANK YOU to all my fellow IRV2 members who posted!

Dave

Old 04-28-2016, 01:18 AM   #26

Awesome Dave.... thanks so much. With rain in the fircast, I am hoping I can do the written part Saturday...
Old 04-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
Awesome Dave.... thanks so much. With rain in the fircast, I am hoping I can do the written part Saturday...
Good Luck Chertz! I am sure that you'll do fine. If I passed, anyone can. My DMV location seems to administer a fair number of tests for truck and trailer combos (RV types) maybe 4-5 a year! (lmao) But, they didn't seem fazed by me. They did check everything about 10x though to make sure things were "Correct". Everything went very smoothly and they were actually extremely helpful!

Dave

Old 04-30-2016, 08:02 AM   #28

Just finished the written test... was not tough at all. Hopefully I can get the camper out and do the driving part in a few weeks.

Tags
driver