Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

Illinois State Drivers License Requirements

Does anyone know how to decode legal mumbo-Jumbo?

I am wondering if with my new truck and trailer (Truck GVWR is 14k, Trailer GVWR is 14k) would require a different drivers license than my current Class D.

The truck actually weights just under 9k fully loaded ready to camp...

My problem is understanding what exactly the different classes mean:

On one hand, I assume I need to get a Class A license as the GVWR of the camper is greater than 10,000 lbs, however my GCWR will be less than 26,000?

On the other hand, I think I could make the argument that my Class D license is sufficient as my GVWR of my truck is less than 16,000???

Anyone dealt with this before??? I have a call into the DMV but I don't expect to hear back from them anytime soon.

Below is the license classifications per the state:

Driver's License Classifications
Illinois driver's licenses are classified by the GVWR of a vehicle (and any towed vehicles):
Class A —
Any combination of motor vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more,
providing the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. Also allows
for operation of Class B, C and D vehicles.
Class B —
Any single motor vehicle with a GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more or any such
vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds. Also allows for operation of Class
C and D vehicles.
Class C —
Any motor vehicle with a GVWR of more than 16,000 pounds, but less than
26,001 pounds or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds. Also
allows for operation of Class D vehicles.
Class D —
Any motor vehicle with a GVWR of 16,000 pounds or less. Does not include
A. B, C, L or M vehicles
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #2

You need a class A license.
Your 14,000 # trailer means you don't fit the other license rules; as they say under 10,000 lbs.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #3

Can't help with the license requirements, but what you really need to do, is move out of Illinois...state is both broke and broken from what I read and hear.
I know--not really helpful.
It actually isn't too much easier to figure out what license to have in many other states when you have a HD pickup and and a larger fiver. If TX ever starts checking GVWRs, I will have to upgrade my license also.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #4

In Illinois you DO NOT NEED A SPECIAL CLASS FOR DRIVING/TOWING AN RV
I have a Class A DP and I happen to have a class C license that is good for up to 16000# however my DP is over 30000# the Illinois Vehicle Code also states that owners of RV'S are exempt from license classifications. I even contacted DMV and they were not sure so that is why I read it in the Vehicle Code Book myself
Hope this helps
podschweit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Can't help with the license requirements, but what you really need to do, is move out of Illinois...state is both broke and broken from what I read and hear.
I know--not really helpful.
It actually isn't too much easier to figure out what license to have in many other states when you have a HD pickup and and a larger fiver. If TX ever starts checking GVWRs, I will have to upgrade my license also.
Joe
Thanks Wingnut for your (non)help!... I hate Illinois.. this state is a **** hole! If it wasn't for all my family being here I would be moving to Wyoming or Texas... But I want the boys to grow up with their grandparents.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by podschweit View Post
In Illinois you DO NOT NEED A SPECIAL CLASS FOR DRIVING/TOWING AN RV
I have a Class A DP and I happen to have a class C license that is good for up to 16000# however my DP is over 30000# the Illinois Vehicle Code also states that owners of RV'S are exempt from license classifications. I even contacted DMV and they were not sure so that is why I read it in the Vehicle Code Book myself
Hope this helps
Podschweit - Can you reference the section you saw this? When I review the "Non-CDL Rules of the Road" document, it is clear that RV's are not required to have a CDL, but does not relieve them of being required to have the proper classification of license for the weight of the vehicle / combination of vehicles... Maybe I am missing it... I sure wish that were true.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
Podschweit - Can you reference the section you saw this? When I review the "Non-CDL Rules of the Road" document, it is clear that RV's are not required to have a CDL, but does not relieve them of being required to have the proper classification of license for the weight of the vehicle / combination of vehicles... Maybe I am missing it... I sure wish that were true.
Guys,

I was just given a WARNING about this! I was stopped by a Local officer who had a problem with the vehicle registration for my RV (expired). I found that hard to believe but it showed "Expired" in his data base (cool computer system in the squad). Seems that I had renewed my old RV tags. He bought that as I had the current certificate for that rig and the old rig License number on the current tag. I assured him that the very next morning I would get it right (I did). He had one of those plate scanner systems. It beeped when it read the plate on my RV.

While all this was going on, he noted that I had a class "D" driver's license and that I needed a Class "B" to be driving my RV (Over 26000# GVWR). He was very professional and I thought oh no! Thousands in fines and my rig Impounded! He stated that in the last two weeks he had given citations to two RV drivers for expired tags and driver's licenses not correct (returning snowbirds). He also stated the fines etc. were about $1200.00. I was spooked!

Good thing he wasn't a State Trooper, I told him I was only driving a few blocks to put it into storage. He said that he was going to leave and drive to the station house and he didn't want to see me driving the rig. (really q good guy!)
He didn't see me (lmao).

I checked the next day at the DMV and they said yes I need a Class "B" license NON CDL. I am going to read the manuals and take the written Tuesday next week. You are exempt from the CDL (commercial) requirement(s) but not the weight class requirement(s) in Illinois. Big difference!

The requirements are very clear in Illinois.

Hope this helps!

Dave

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:09 AM   #8

Thank you dave!

Can you give me an idea on the process of upgrading from a class D to a non-cdl class A (in my case with the big trailer)? Is it just a written test, or is there a driving test also?
Old 04-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a link to the IL driver's license requirements.
https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/d...l.html#classes

RVs are exempt from obtaining Commercial Driver's Licenses, but are possibly required to obtain Non-Commercial Driver's Licenses depending on the weight and/or combination of vehicles.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #10

625ILCS 5/1-111.8 states that recreational vehicles are not a Commercial Motor Vehicle
625ILCS 5/1-169 gives definition of a RV
625ILCS 5/6-500 (6) B i Covers Federal Laws for needing a CDL and this section also states that a person operating a RV is exempt from obtaining a CDL as an RV is not a Commercial Motor Vehicle
podschweit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #11

No argument that a CDL is not required, however I think it's clear that the proper class non-cdl is required.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:01 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
Thank you dave!

Can you give me an idea on the process of upgrading from a class D to a non-cdl class A (in my case with the big trailer)? Is it just a written test, or is there a driving test also?
Glad to! As I understand it, there is a NON-CDL Driver's test. They can administer it at my local SOS facility (Libertyville, IL). You should first pass the written exam and vision?? test. Once you pass the written I think that you are issued a "learner's Permit". Then, when you think you are ready, you get an appointment for the driving test. Not all SOS facilities offer the NON-CDL, so check on line or phone them before you trek down there.

Also, be advised, some people at the SOS facilities don't have a clue on the NON-CDL tests etc. I had to ask a more senior member at Libertyville (e.g.). You can always ask to meet with the facility manager. He or She should have all the correct info.

This was discussed in several threads in the last 2-3 years for various states. Illinois stood out to me for obvious reasons .

Another thing (yikes I am getting long winded er... or is that typed?) be advised that is you do not have the proper class license and you have an accident the insurance company may not honor your claim.

I am planning on taking my written next week so I'll post any "New" info that I glean from my visit. Hope this helps!

And in closing, the Feds give us RVers some slack in that we don't have to have a full CDL, but the individual states can enforce weight catagory Licensing. Unfortunately, I live in the great bankrupt state of Illinois we need a class B license because my rig GVWR is 31000#.

One more thing, make sure that you have safety Lanterns , reflectors, or Fusees in the rig when you show up or it's an instant "FAIL"!

Ciao!

Dave

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #13

A competent driver is my # 1 concern. Thanks for thinking about the rest of us. Have fun........
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:30 PM   #14

Excellent info, thank you!

I am sure I will feel stupid, but what are safety lanterns, and reflectors or fusees? Are those like flares?

I do have an extinguisher and safety triangles...?

Tags
driver