Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #29

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
The 55 mph doesn't mean the engine cant handle it, it means the wibble wobble will pucker your butt. I overloaded my Colorado just putting too much stuff in the bed. Oh my that was exciting.

I see a lot of talk about how much a truck can tow. The most important thing to consider is how much can your truck STOP
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #30

I have an 18ft pontoon on a 25ft trailer that I haul around once in a while. Now granted that's only about 2500lbs but my TB moves it like nobodies business.

Dobebus is right. I can pull the Space Shuttle down the road too, but can I stop it?

I'll just save my pennies and buy a Class C.
Jcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobeBus View Post
I see a lot of talk about how much a truck can tow. The most important thing to consider is how much can your truck STOP
With trailer brakes it makes a huge difference. The wibble wobble at 55 is a sure thing no matter how balanced you think your trailer is. It actually starts at 50 becomes an out of control situation at 55. It is a long drive at 50mph. Ive been that dumb more than once.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #32

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
With trailer brakes it makes a huge difference. The wibble wobble at 55 is a sure thing no matter how balanced you think your trailer is. It actually starts at 50 becomes an out of control situation at 55. It is a long drive at 50mph. Ive been that dumb more than once.

A lot of times that wobble is caused by uneven tire inflation on the trailer. I learned the hard way. Nobody hurt but was pretty hairy for about 30 seconds
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarlson View Post
I have an 18ft pontoon on a 25ft trailer that I haul around once in a while. Now granted that's only about 2500lbs but my TB moves it like nobodies business.

Dobebus is right. I can pull the Space Shuttle down the road too, but can I stop it?

I'll just save my pennies and buy a Class C.
My Outlander pulls my Bennington 2275FS like its nothing. Its 22x 8.5 ft and the trailer is almost 28 ft long. Its heavier than your set up and I had brakes put on the trailer even though it wasn't required because I knew I was going to be towing with a lighter vehicle.

Im not sure where you are looking. I had to drive 650 miles to find what I liked for the price I was willing to pay. I also started out looking at MH under $20,000 and quickly upped the budget. I found that I would be putting 10K into it anyway and may as well save myself the trouble and start out ahead.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobeBus View Post

Not really an issue, trailer axles have brakes rated to stop the same weight they are rated to carry. In normal use, the tow vehicle brakes should not be needed to stop the trailer. If they are, then the trailer is pushing the tow vehicle during the stop which can lead to loss of steering control. That also means that if the trailer gets into a sway condition, then brakes alone will not stop the sway.

The trailer brakes and controller should be set to act as a drag on the tow vehicle when stopping. That keeps the trailer behind the tow vehicle rather than trying to pass it.

If done right, the tow vehicle brakes should last longer than if the vehicle was just a solo vehicle. My last tv, at 100k miles still had plenty of life left on the original brake pads.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse