Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Smokey,

and your LT235/85R16E tires have a combined weight capacity over 16,000 pounds

Your front tires can support up to 6,000 pounds on the front axle,

How do the rear tires support 4k each, but the front 3k each? Is there a typo in there? What am I missing?

Joe
You're missing the fact that Randy's TV is a dually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Q
I have a 1997 Chevy 3500 DRW...
The LT235/85R16E tires are rated over 3,000 pounds each, so up to 6,000 pounds on the front axle and over 12,000 pounds on the rear axle. That's a total of 18,000 pounds tire capacity, but the DRW's GAWR probably limits the weight on the axles to about 16,000 pounds or less, thus my WAG of 16,000 pounds total. A '99 Ford F-350 DRW gasser has combined GAWRs of 14,950, so I was giving the GM the benefit of the doubt.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

Rarely in the lower 48. Canada is a different story.
Not that it has an bearing on the topic, but BC and Ontario are the only ones that actually scale RVers unless you are noticeably, dangerously, overloaded. The remainder of the provinces don't bother to the best of my knowledge, although I am open to correction if wrong. Here in Sask, you must register the combined weight, and if in the rarest of occassions you get scaled- you must be under that weight and the axle weights. That's it. Also depending on the weight of the trailer in tow, you need a special endorsement for anything over 5000kg (I believe) which is why I just keep my class 1 up to date so I never have to worry about going to a larger tow rig and trailer.

With all the agriculture and oil here, it would be complete chaos if they had to police rv weights. There would be a LOT of vehicles pulled off the road, rvers and other.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I had a '89 DRW 454 w/Auto loaded w/ 8'slide-un camper and towed a 26' box trailer with an '88 race Camaro and all the tools, tires etc to race with. Traveled from Mosport in Canada to Daytona and Lime ROck in CT to Indy raceway park. Sold it in '98 with 60k on it with zero problems and I made no modifications. Just took my time accelerating and planned ahead for stopping.
That was back when people relied on common sense, experience and doing the best with what you've got. Now if your one pound over the RAWR or GVW you need the next size up even if it cost $40,000 more.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #18

Sometimes I get lost in reading thru too many posts...

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #19

Thanks for input

I do appreciate the positive posts, I thought I was fairly clear that a new truck was not an option on budget, which is why I was researching what could be done to my existing truck. Someone said they did not like buying someone else's problems which is a consideration I have and I know what I have in my existing truck.
Moving over to a 2002-03 7.3 Ford does very little on tow capacity increase. and moving up in years gets me into the battle of what do you give up.
The Ford diesels prior to 2011 seem to all have a variety of problems and the Dodge 5.9 Cummins in 2006 year time frame have the increased tow capacity and a great motor (going by what I have read) but the front end issues, automatic transmission issues, along with numerous other faults seem to be just trading one set of problems for another. Chevy Gmc do not seem to be in discussion of heavy towing, not really sure why?
In looking at ads on Dodges just about everyone has had major front end work done by 60k and again @ 120k, along with a rebuilt tranny. On the Fords, the engine repairs are in several thousand range every repair and most have had at least 2 before they dump it. Then I read where you can make a 6.0 bullet proof, but at what cost? Then we have oil makers…
I was really leaning towards the 06 early 07 5.9 Dodge till I started reading about all the non engine problems. Can I get some honest first hand feedback from some truck owners.
All of the negative press on the newer models was what was forcing me to reconsider working with what I have. I have 7700.00 in engine & tranny alone so I will be hard pressed to get that out of that model year truck. So sinking another couple of k in upgrades would still be cheaper than a mid 2000 diesel, and I would feel fairly confident with the 100k warranty I have on the engine & tranny from Jasper. Not that I think I need more power but suggestions on performance upgrades, and the already mentioned cooling additions and or upgrades.
Again thanks in advance for the help.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Q View Post
I do appreciate the positive posts, I thought I was fairly clear that a new truck was not an option on budget, which is why I was researching what could be done to my existing truck. Someone said they did not like buying someone else's problems which is a consideration I have and I know what I have in my existing truck.
Moving over to a 2002-03 7.3 Ford does very little on tow capacity increase. and moving up in years gets me into the battle of what do you give up.
The Ford diesels prior to 2011 seem to all have a variety of problems and the Dodge 5.9 Cummins in 2006 year time frame have the increased tow capacity and a great motor (going by what I have read) but the front end issues, automatic transmission issues, along with numerous other faults seem to be just trading one set of problems for another. Chevy Gmc do not seem to be in discussion of heavy towing, not really sure why?
In looking at ads on Dodges just about everyone has had major front end work done by 60k and again @ 120k, along with a rebuilt tranny. On the Fords, the engine repairs are in several thousand range every repair and most have had at least 2 before they dump it. Then I read where you can make a 6.0 bullet proof, but at what cost? Then we have oil makers…
I was really leaning towards the 06 early 07 5.9 Dodge till I started reading about all the non engine problems. Can I get some honest first hand feedback from some truck owners.
All of the negative press on the newer models was what was forcing me to reconsider working with what I have. I have 7700.00 in engine & tranny alone so I will be hard pressed to get that out of that model year truck. So sinking another couple of k in upgrades would still be cheaper than a mid 2000 diesel, and I would feel fairly confident with the 100k warranty I have on the engine & tranny from Jasper. Not that I think I need more power but suggestions on performance upgrades, and the already mentioned cooling additions and or upgrades.
Everyone seems to think Ram trannys are weak and prone to failure. Back in mid and some later 90's models yes they were. The last many years of models are very dependable. I have several friends with 04-08 models with 80k to 190k still running very solid and never been touched. One guy with 175k still tows 15,000# trackhoe on gooseneck trailer once or twice a week on stock untouched tranny.
As far as front ends, yes they have had some problems there but nothing that aftermarket parts won't fix. If you research any brand vehicle you are gonna find problems but think about how many are sold versus the small number with problems.
I am not saying dodge is better than ford or gm or vice versa, I am stating what I have seen and my experiences. Yes I am partial to dodge ram trucks and no I have never had one leave me standing. This is just my $.02 for what its worth.

Chad
Old 03-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #21

Chad

This is the type of first hand experience I am hoping to get, to me it is not a Brand war, I am simply trying to make a well informed decision. What after market brand front end parts are you seeing solve the problem?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #22

Quote:
This is the type of first hand experience I am hoping to get, to me it is not a Brand war, I am simply trying to make a well informed decision. What after market brand front end parts are you seeing solve the problem?
Randy, I do not have any experience with front end issues since I have not had any problems with mine. I recently saw a recall on some involving a tie rod replacement. A friend of mine with an older Chevy replaced most all front end components himself and had about $600 in parts. I can't imagine a dodge/ram being much different. Sorry I can't help with first hand experience here.
Chad
Old 03-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #23

One place that is untapped at times Randy is the offroad world. I beefed up my F150 with parts that are readily available to the offroaders, but have equally beneficial applications other places.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Slap some Firestone air bags on the back. Preferably the ones you can adjust from the cab. New top of the line shocks all the way around. Make sure your brakes are 100% on truck and trailer. Then hit the road and have fun. The new half tons are rated to tow up to 11,300 pounds. You have a one ton dually. It will probably tow anything a new gas one ton dually will. It's all legal BS for the most part.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #25

New shocks and a full inspection of the brake system of your current truck with airbags should have you pulling a 15k MGWR 5ver - jut don't load it all the way! LOL!

Since you brought up the Dodge info, I did a lot of research on them before buying mine - an 06 SLT 4x4 quad cab SRW 2500. The front end on the 2wd is more prone to needing a rebuild than the 4x4 - although the tie rod ends on the 4x4 is a recent recall. The transmission that gave Dodge the bad name (47r) was replaced in 2003 by the 48r. The dash falling in ended in 02/03 but still cracked until the 06 redesign. No cracks in mine, and I bought a $49 dash mat cover to keep it from cracking in the Florida sun. 06 to 2007.5 (end of December 06) had the 5.9 and EPA regs forced Dodge to put the 6.7 into anything made after Jan 01, 2007. I think 04 up have the newer bigger turbo and 06 up has 4" exhaust from the factory. I found my low mileage (73500) 2006 truck in July 2013 for about $24K. They are readily found in the area here for 28-32k low mileage and 4x4 (2wd is cheaper). The 6.7 drops the price 3-4k here even though they are newer trucks. Although mine is a 2500 series, I came really close to buying 2 different 3500 DWR trucks for similar prices. Here, the 2500 seems to be more desirable for softer ride, so 3500s are out there.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Slap some Firestone air bags on the back. Preferably the ones you can adjust from the cab. New top of the line shocks all the way around. Make sure your brakes are 100% on truck and trailer. Then hit the road and have fun. The new half tons are rated to tow up to 11,300 pounds. You have a one ton dually. It will probably tow anything a new gas one ton dually will. It's all legal BS for the most part.
Airbags will not increase Gross Combined Capacity.