Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2020, 06:56 AM   #1

Inexpensive trailer tug

I am looking for some kind of tug to move my trailer from parking spot to street for hook up. where I park my trailer is on the rear of our yard off the side street. the street is 30' wide and my trailer is 28' and truck is 20' so I have to pull all the way to the curb across the street before turning to clear my gate and backing in is always a challenge. trailer is 6000# and tongue wt. about 600#. I would like to find a used atv or jeep or even a really old farm tractor to rehab for the job because of their short turning radius. maybe someone on this blog has something like this to suggest. thanx
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2020, 07:10 AM   #2

cheaper to move the gate back.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #3

may be an option that would help. might give me more room for the tail end to pivot..the parking pad is concrete and parking farther back would make the end of the trailer overhang the pad so I would have to add a few feet to the pad. thanx
Old 01-02-2020, 08:09 AM   #4

Most atv's only have a tow rating of 1500 pds. You would tear an atv up either by severe damage or standing it on its tail.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I am looking for some kind of tug to move my trailer from parking spot to street for hook up. where I park my trailer is on the rear of our yard off the side street. the street is 30' wide and my trailer is 28' and truck is 20' so I have to pull all the way to the curb across the street before turning to clear my gate and backing in is always a challenge. trailer is 6000# and tongue wt. about 600#. I would like to find a used atv or jeep or even a really old farm tractor to rehab for the job because of their short turning radius. maybe someone on this blog has something like this to suggest. thanx
Seems like you may have a healthy budget for this? There are purpose-built and compact tools for this exact job. Parkit 360 is one of a few similar devices.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #6

I have seen those...out of my budget. I can get a late 40's early 50's ford farm tractor for 900-1000$ in working condition and clean it up and put some new paint. atv not a viable option. the rv dealers around here all use fork lift with trailer ball but I have not found any for sale for cheap so just looking to see what other folks have come up with. my son bought the trailer valet and that thing looks good in the ads but sucks in real life.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #7

Don't forget this detail

Ok, so keep in mind that dealers use forklifts to not only be able to lift at the hitch and for way tighter maneuverability, but also because of the mass of a forklift. They are weighty beasts! You definitely won't find anything good for that budget in a forklift.

That said, a tractor can work just fine, and if you can find an old Ford tractor for that money - jump on it because they're running $2500-4000 here in farm country. One will pull it no problem, but may not be able to stop it under all circumstances. So, the point I want to make is please, at a minimum, hook up a working breakaway switch when using it. Better yet would be to put together a brake controller that can be manually controlled.
geotexZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
How many times a year do you need to move it? Do have another use and or storage for a tractor to make it feasible? I would think if it's only a few times a year maybe find a friend with a skid steer or rent a tractor to move it? just spit balling here. I used to move move my 32RLS cougar with my Kubota 1200 UTV. Yes it was too much for hitch weight but it did the job.
RTC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #9

I skid steer could work I think. 600 tougue weight should be doable as I have friend that moves the 1000 - 1,200 round bales of hay with one.

Trying to figure out your situation. Could you pour more concrete or add stone to make it more doable with the truck?

Believe me, I know how wide the truck needs to swing to back a trailer into a spot. Actually it is unbelievable how much room you need.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #10

Quote:
I have seen those...out of my budget. I can get a late 40's early 50's ford farm tractor for 900-1000$ in working condition and clean it up and put some new paint. atv not a viable option. the rv dealers around here all use fork lift with trailer ball but I have not found any for sale for cheap so just looking to see what other folks have come up with. my son bought the trailer valet and that thing looks good in the ads but sucks in real life.
By the time you find a tractor,loader or forklift, fix it up, maintain it and then lug that thing around and park it as well is it worth it?

The Parkit360 and other similar brands are available used on Ebay, Craigslist etc. for 1 grand or so. All you need to do is keep the battery charged and out of the elements. Takes way,way less space than your other options. Just seems to mae more sense to me.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Why not a full size Blazer/Bronco/Ramcharger type vehicle? If you're only using it for backing the trailer, you may not even need to register it.
davis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:54 PM   #12

Quote:
may be an option that would help. might give me more room for the tail end to pivot..the parking pad is concrete and parking farther back would make the end of the trailer overhang the pad so I would have to add a few feet to the pad. thanx
Overhang is no problem unless you just don't want to mow under it.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:17 AM   #13

thanx for all the replies. we try to take our trailer out for camping once every 3-4 weeks for no more than 200-250 mile radius from dfw. once in a while we will tow to someplace far off like big bend (570 miles). it's a little stressfull getting in and out of our backyard parking spot but saves 85$ a month pkg fee and I can keep an eye on it and do maintenance since it is on the property. 1000$ for a tractor that would last many years and then could be sold doesnt seen too bad to me. there seem to be several in working condition around here for sale. brakes dont have to be that great..just going to pull out to street and chock till connected to truck.the parkit might be good as it would be easier to store and there are a cpl. neighbors with trailers. maybe could split ownership with one..guess an old forklift wouldnt make that much sense. had originally considered a really old jeep but they are all too pricey.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #14

The old ford n series is pretty small. A cub cadet with the cast iron trans could probably handle the weight but would probably end up nose in the air if it wasnt weighted. I just saw a powered pallet jack at walmart the other day, it wouldnt be difficult to make up a platform for that but that may not have the power to do what you want. It would be able to elevate the toungue for sure but i dont know about moving the trailer. Ive seen some old fork lifts on cl locally in pittsburgh but i dont know their condition.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer