Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #1

Info on sway control hitch

Need opinions on sway control Mfgs. and which sway control is "the Best" for TTs
Blue OX
Hensley
Equal-i-zer

Any info, feed back good or bad will be greatly appreciated
jcyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2017, 09:35 PM   #2

Hensley and Propride work differently to make your towing point converge near the rear axle similar to a 5th wheel. If you tow a lot, they are worth consideration. I have an Equalizer, and it is competent when dialed in. The Reese Dual cam and Blue Ox are comparable. You'll get favorites from other posters, but the first two mentioned are at the head of the pack. Just don't go cheap.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcyesiam View Post
Need opinions on sway control Mfgs. and which sway control is "the Best" for TTs
Blue OX
Hensley
Equal-i-zer
If you want "the best" for preventing sway on a TT, then you want a Hensley ProPride, or the older design Hensley Arrow. But those are very spendy, at well over $2,000 each and not available from discount internet sources. Both were designed by Jim Hensley, but the ProPride is his latest design that includes some improvements over the old Arrow design.
https://www.propridehitch.com/propri...control-hitch/

The ProPride will prevent uncontrollable sway caused by about 99.9% of all trailer sway conditions. I have a ProPride on my TT. (If you've ever experienced uncontrollable trailer sway, you'll pay a lot to be sure in never happens again.)

There are several very good WD hitches with very good built-in sway control that list for around $1,000, and are available for about $500 to $700 from discount internet sources. The Blue Ox and Equal-I-Zer are two of them. Others include the Reese Strait-Line and Husky CenterLine HD. Those are all good for preventing uncontrollable sway caused by about 99% of all trailer sway conditions. I have a Strait-Line on my cargo trailer. So only a few conditions where the ProPride would be better than a Blue Ox, but if you encounter one of those rare conditions you'll be glad you paid the extra for the ProPride.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #4

I use the Husky Centerline TS - works great. Any of the others mentioned should probably do the job too, most at more cost.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
If you want "the best" for preventing sway on a TT, then you want a Hensley ProPride, or the older design Hensley Arrow. But those are very spendy, at well over $2,000 each and not available from discount internet sources. Both were designed by Jim Hensley, but the ProPride is his latest design that includes some improvements over the old Arrow design.
https://www.propridehitch.com/propri...control-hitch/

The ProPride will prevent uncontrollable sway caused by about 99.9% of all trailer sway conditions. I have a ProPride on my TT. (If you've ever experienced uncontrollable trailer sway, you'll pay a lot to be sure in never happens again.)

There are several very good WD hitches with very good built-in sway control that list for around $1,000, and are available for about $500 to $700 from discount internet sources. The Blue Ox and Equal-I-Zer are two of them. Others include the Reese Strait-Line and Husky CenterLine HD. Those are all good for preventing uncontrollable sway caused by about 99% of all trailer sway conditions. I have a Strait-Line on my cargo trailer. So only a few conditions where the ProPride would be better than a Blue Ox, but if you encounter one of those rare conditions you'll be glad you paid the extra for the ProPride.
Tks for the input.
The propride was quoted at approximately $2500.00 plus any installation cost.
The equal-i-zer installed quoted at $785.00 both have a 1000 tongue rating
Old 06-29-2017, 11:49 AM   #6

Thanks to all who responded.
Guess it's time to decide
Old 06-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #7

Propride P3 1400# bars worth every cent.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #8

What vehicle are you towing with and how much trailer are you planning to tow? for example, my 2500HD did fine pulling a 25 footer with the least expensive Eaz lift even without the sway controller. But it definitely was better with the Blue Ox Sway pro. Solid as a rock. Now with a lighter vehicle and heavier trailer, the abilities of the WD hitch become much more important. There are more than a few good choices, do your research online, and you'll probably be just fine.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #9

I did the research last year and decided on the Equal-i-zer 4 point WD hitch for my circumstances. It was a little over $500 at Amazon with free shipping. I've towed over 6,000 miles with it and I have been very pleased with how it works. Any of the hitches you mentioned would do the job. I agree with the above statement, "Don't go cheap".
Old 07-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #10

My first hitch came with an old camper. It was with the chains and no sway control. Then I bought an e2 because it was cheaper and it was good until I got a bigger camper and the strong winds would push the trailor a little bit. I finally broke down and bought an equilizer hitch with 1200 lb bars and love it. I went to their web site and read all the reviews and Q&As. They have a section to put all your information and it tells you which bars you need. Made in the USA.
lcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:17 AM   #11

This to all

Tks to all for you input and knowledge. We've decided to go with an equl-i-zer product that is rated for our TT and truck.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
I use the Husky Centerline TS - works great. Any of the others mentioned should probably do the job too, most at more cost.
I used to pull a mid-sized TT with a half-ton on a Centreline TS down some pretty windy highways along the lower St Lawrence River and around the head of the Bay of Fundy.... rock solid. Never budged because of a road tractor. It was not crazy expensive.
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote