Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
clarkgriswold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dublin, VA
Posts: 391
Installing 2nd Transmission Cooler

Has anyone had experience installing a SECOND transmission cooler on a vehicle? I've been told that it would be a good idea and after all, it shouldn't hurt. I am assuming that it would simply fit in line with first (factory) transmission cooler and that it doesn't matter which direction of flow in put thru the cooler. Is that correct?
__________________

__________________
Mike & Cindy, (of course with Lucy the Miniature Schnauzer & Eddie the Yorkie) Dublin, VA / Fun Finder TT / X215WSK
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Based on your signature you have a 2002 F53 chassis. This chassis has the V10 with a 4R100 transmission. The factory cooler is very large on these chassis and provide more than enough cooling. My 99 chassis has the same cooler and my actual transmission temps are 170-180F. An additional cooler can be installed inline with the factory cooler but I do not see any benefit to it based on the size of the factory cooler.
__________________

__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,232
What matters is not flow direction but flow itself. If you restrict flow, you're in more trouble than you were before.
James, since the V10 trans cooler is a popular upgrade to the 7.3s w/4R100, would a 6.0 trans cooler fit the F53 V10?
__________________
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
What matters is not flow direction but flow itself. If you restrict flow, you're in more trouble than you were before.
James, since the V10 trans cooler is a popular upgrade to the 7.3s w/4R100, would a 6.0 trans cooler fit the F53 V10?
That is a good question that I don't have a definite answer to. I will have to check my 99 chassis but I think the 5R110W (trans with the 6.0L) cooler lines are larger than the 4R100 lines. There may have to be some mods.

Which V10 cooler are they using with the 7.3 and are you sure it is with the 4R100 and not the E4OD. I know those cooler are small and defiantly could be bigger. In 99 I believe the 4R100 was used with the 7.3 because of the increase of power and the coolers were made bigger.
__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919



I hope these pics show up but they are out of the workshop manual for the pre98 superduty and motorhome chassis.



This is the 99 and newer cooler
__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
see if this works if the other ones do not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A0025732[1].gif
Views:	268
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	42719  
Attached Images
  
__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,232
I just know that the 7.3 guys will install V10 coolers because they are bigger.
And the 6.0 coolers are way bigger. Mount in the factory bolt holes, just have to adapt lines to work, no big deal.
__________________
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:03 AM   #8
Member
 
golfmedik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Auburn, GA
Posts: 51
Read this. It is all you need to know about changing the coolers. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...49478099,d.aWM

Select keep when prompted. It is a complete write up as to what you have to do and have to have to do the swap. And YES, it is worth it.
__________________
2016 Montana 3790RD Legacy & 2008 Vortex 26FS Toy Hauler
2013 F350 DRW 4x4, 6.7L Edge CTS, B&W, Viair, AirBags
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
clarkgriswold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dublin, VA
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Based on your signature you have a 2002 F53 chassis. This chassis has the V10 with a 4R100 transmission. The factory cooler is very large on these chassis and provide more than enough cooling. My 99 chassis has the same cooler and my actual transmission temps are 170-180F. An additional cooler can be installed inline with the factory cooler but I do not see any benefit to it based on the size of the factory cooler.
I updated our signature! We've just bought a Fun Finder X215WSK TT and we're pulling it with a Ford Sport Trac 4.0 V6. Hopefully it makes more sense now!
__________________
Mike & Cindy, (of course with Lucy the Miniature Schnauzer & Eddie the Yorkie) Dublin, VA / Fun Finder TT / X215WSK
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
Read this. It is all you need to know about changing the coolers. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...49478099,d.aWM

Select keep when prompted. It is a complete write up as to what you have to do and have to have to do the swap. And YES, it is worth it.
After reading that article, it appears that he must have removed the cooler by pass valve also. This by passes the cooler to allow the transmission to come up to normal operating temps. 130F is cold for a transmission and this transmission has an operating temp around 170. Depending on what is going on it can go higher but should stay in the 170 range or close to that. The article also points out that this is in power improved 7.3L and one of the programmers favorite features is to keep the torque converter unlocked for a lot longer period of time during accel. This does generate more heat. It is nice to see that the 6.0L cooler is a good fit but in a stock motorhome from what I have experienced, it is really not needed. I for one will not likely be installing one of these on my motorhome as trans temps are not an issue even when towing my Escape or in the hills of Pennsylvania.

As a side note, some transmissions need to be around 210-220F before you can even check the fluid level. If it is colder than that and topped off, it will be over filled when operating temps are achieved.
Attached Images
 
__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I updated our signature! We've just bought a Fun Finder X215WSK TT and we're pulling it with a Ford Sport Trac 4.0 V6. Hopefully it makes more sense now!

LOL, no problem. I will have to be honest that I have rebuilt a lot of these transmission over the years but never seen one that failed due to over temps or was running hot. The coolers are a decent size in the 2002 and newer Explorer but the PCM also unlocks the torque converter more often than in a superduty or motorhome chassis. I have an Explorer and tow with it but im ashamed to say I have never monitored the transmission temps. And I have all the equipment to do so. However, like the superduty and motorhome transmissions, the temp is controlled by a valve. This valve (thermostatic expansion valve) is in the valve body and cannot be removed. The valve opens at a high temp also. If I remember correctly it is around 180F. However, to check the fluid level, the temps must be around 100F.

If you feel like getting a gadget, a Scan gauge will help to determine if the transmission is running to hot when towing. But that is some coin and an aux cooler may be cheaper. Maybe you know someone with one and can borrow it. My biggest advise to change the fluid every 60K or less. I know Ford says fill for life but the fluid does seem to get nasty at higher mileage and the solenoid pack works better with nice clean fluid. I don't use any fluid exchange machine when changing the trans fluid either. To do so means you have to power brake the transmission to build up high heat to allow the thermostatic expansion valve to open and allow cooler flow. When this occurs, the transmission is to hot to check for proper level. I cant tell you how many come backs from other techs I work with that have an under filled transmission fluid level. There is a large drain plug on the bottom of the pan. I drain, fill, run, drain, fill and done. Seems to work the best for me. However filling the fluid is not easy for a do it yourselfer. There is a small hole that a special tool fits into and a siphon is used to pump fluid in. We have overhead oil and trans fluid guns that pump in fluid. I just press the gun in the hole and pump away. I grossly over fill the last time and start the engine. Allow to drain until at the correct level.
__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
clarkgriswold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dublin, VA
Posts: 391
Fluid Change

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to get the transmission fluid changed along with the trans cooler. I've heard a lot of 'bad' things about the pressurized transmission exchangers so I don't want to go that route at all. ....and with 108k miles on it, it's probably wouldn't hurt to change it anyway.
__________________
Mike & Cindy, (of course with Lucy the Miniature Schnauzer & Eddie the Yorkie) Dublin, VA / Fun Finder TT / X215WSK
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
Member
 
golfmedik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Auburn, GA
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
After reading that article, it appears that he must have removed the cooler by pass valve also. This by passes the cooler to allow the transmission to come up to normal operating temps. 130F is cold for a transmission and this transmission has an operating temp around 170. Depending on what is going on it can go higher but should stay in the 170 range or close to that. The article also points out that this is in power improved 7.3L and one of the programmers favorite features is to keep the torque converter unlocked for a lot longer period of time during accel. This does generate more heat. It is nice to see that the 6.0L cooler is a good fit but in a stock motorhome from what I have experienced, it is really not needed. I for one will not likely be installing one of these on my motorhome as trans temps are not an issue even when towing my Escape or in the hills of Pennsylvania.

As a side note, some transmissions need to be around 210-220F before you can even check the fluid level. If it is colder than that and topped off, it will be over filled when operating temps are achieved.
Lots of people down here don't have to worry about that(except in winter), but other places do, so now several guys have started putting a Derale thermostat in line which controls the heat. It also gets the temps up to evaporate any moisture that the fluids has accumulated.
__________________
2016 Montana 3790RD Legacy & 2008 Vortex 26FS Toy Hauler
2013 F350 DRW 4x4, 6.7L Edge CTS, B&W, Viair, AirBags
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
Lots of people down here don't have to worry about that(except in winter), but other places do, so now several guys have started putting a Derale thermostat in line which controls the heat. It also gets the temps up to evaporate any moisture that the fluids has accumulated.

I can see that in year round hot climates. Not so much in the northern states though.
__________________

__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
transmission



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.